Page 1 of 2
yeah ok so is it as good as it sounds? and how the hell do you drink it... i know theres sugar, and a spoon involved... idk i just wanted to check ito ut so any info would b great :]
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
Real men drink it straight.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Quote by Deliriumbassist
How about you wait 5 years until you can legally drink and find out then?

chill man im not ur regular dumb ass binge drinking teenager, but i have 2 weeks between winter and spring track so i wanted to try it once while i can
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
Quote by andyd93
Real men drink it straight.

Not only do men drink it straight, but word on the street is that it can kill you too!! How about that for a fun fact.
absinthe is illegal is the united states (wormwood) but it is legal to possess. various websites based offshore will ship to the united states. It runs about 100 dollars a liter after shipping though. Ive had 2 brands -most non-Czech absinthe will taste like liquorice; and get you wine-drunk very quickly. the standard way to drink it is 1 part absinthe with 3-4 parts water and sugar.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
**** anyone telling you what to do, if you wanna drink it, drink it, it's your goddamn body and if somebody else has something to say about it they can suck your dick. it's as simple as that.
Quote by Dark Aegis
Not only do men drink it straight, but word on the street is that it can kill you too!! How about that for a fun fact.

Yeah!!
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
haha ok well this is getting pretty intense
im stil undecided tho, but how much would u need for 3 first timers? (to absinthe i mean, not drinking in general)

and ummm as for the guys sayin it kills you, dont worry ur advice is not unheeded, but i wana get as much info as i can b4 i make a final decision
Quote by britneyspears69
Quote by Draken
don't bother it tastes like **** and burns your throat.

hmmm yeah but i can drink vodka straight easy enuf to fool my parents thinking is water if i drink it in front of them... so idk
Quote by britneyspears69
Quote by CephalidHunter
absinthe is illegal is the united states (wormwood) but it is legal to possess. various websites based offshore will ship to the united states. It runs about 100 dollars a liter after shipping though. Ive had 2 brands -most non-Czech absinthe will taste like liquorice; and get you wine-drunk very quickly. the standard way to drink it is 1 part absinthe with 3-4 parts water and sugar.

what about lucid. How did that come onto the market in the U.S? Is it like a different form or is it watered down. oh yeah, and to the guy that said drink it straight, you will hallucinate and maybe die.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
yeah, absinthe is great.. tastes like absolute crap, but gets you pretty mafed up.. i was doing shots of it and after about 1.5 bottles we made the rule that you had to break the plastic cup on your head after the shot... i had 6 stiches
Bands I've seen:
Jet
Metallica
Lamb of God
Baroness
A Day To Remember
Underoath
Northlane
In The Walls
Saints Alight
Live As A Monster
Bleach The Skies
Red Ribbon Army
The Amity Affliction
Madisonfoxx
Buried In Verona
there are fale forms of it for sale in the U.S.= has the taste and alchohol but no wormwood. If you're buying that you're not going to get the "absinthe" experience.

I've always seen it poured over a sugar cube which is held on a strainer above the cordial glass you drink it out of. I imagine this adds some sweetness and lets it breathe a little bit.

I never heard of using water with it, I have only seen it drunk from a cordial glass, which isn't really conducive to mixing.
there are fale forms of it for sale in the U.S.= has the taste and alchohol but no wormwood. If you're buying that you're not going to get the "absinthe" experience.

There is no "absinthe experience". Thujone is not at all psychoactive.
Absinthe is an alcoholic drink like any other.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis

idk i always thot it made u halucinate wicked bad, more liek a drug than an alcohol, but i wouldnt relly know so thats why i asked you guys haha, i guess not...

if the above is true than is it rlly worth it? or is drinking regular alc gonna b just as good and cheaper?
Quote by britneyspears69
Quote by led_zeppelin678
idk i always thot it made u halucinate wicked bad, more liek a drug than an alcohol, but i wouldnt relly know so thats why i asked you guys haha, i guess not...

if the above is true than is it rlly worth it? or is drinking regular alc gonna b just as good and cheaper?

That is a myth, probably one perpetuated by the same people who campaigned to have it outlawed. It is not psychoactive.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Thujone is actually psychoactive, but there is no where near a psychoactive amount in modern Absinthe. Absinthe has recently been made legal in the US, and you can make your own with various online kits. The reason Absinthe is considered dangerous or appealing is because it often has a high alcohol content.

The proper way to drink it is to have a glass with ice cold water, place your sugar cube in the Absinthe spoon on top the glass, pour the absinthe over the sugar into the water, light the sugar and burn til carmelized, then mix it in.
Quote by led_zeppelin678
hmmm yeah but i can drink vodka straight easy enuf to fool my parents thinking is water if i drink it in front of them... so idk

You don't get what he means. It literally is disgusting, vodka is like water in comparison to absinthe.

Enjoy your throwing up!
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Thujone is actually psychoactive, but there is no where near a psychoactive amount in modern Absinthe.

...or any absinthe. Research has not demonstrated psychoactive properties, and if it did, you'd need massive doses that would probably approach the LD-50.
Quote by led_zeppelin678

lol ur kewl
I suggest that a lot of you read up on it a bit, cause there is some seriously bunk scoop in this forum.
-Edit: After reading, apparently SOME of you guys know your stuff... my apologies for generalizing-

MYTHS

1.) Absinthe is Illegal in US
Only to sell, it's perfectly legal to consume. In fact, it's not even a DEA/Drug related legislation that regulates it, but an FDA one.
There is already a NY based company which sells authentic French Absinthe. I have ordered 2 bottles from them already, and it was pretty solid stuff. Not wonderful, but good, and reasonably priced.

2.) How to traditionally drink it
pour about half a cordial glass (more/less to taste) of absinthe. Using an absinthe spoon, drizzle ice water over a sugar cube into it SLOWLY. When the water hits the absinthe, it should start turning milky white. This is called a "Louche". It is the result of aromatic oils coming out of the suspension and is indicative of good quality. If your absinthe doesn't do this, it is pretty much ****. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER, LIGHT IT ON FIRE! This is a hollywood bull**** trick and does nothing but ruin the taste. There is simply nothing traditional about this method at all.

3.)Absinthe is green
Alot is... but there are clear varieties, as well as specialties that can be even red or blue. If it is green (most common), it is referred to as "Verte". White (2nd most common), is "Blanche".

4.)I found a website with materials to make my own
...and it will taste like ****. Those websites are selling you a bull**** kit, basically. There is simply NO WAY TO MAKE ABSINTHE WITHOUT PROPER DISTILLATION PROCEDURE (and if you know how to do this, you wouldn't be looking online for "Absinthe Kits" anyways!). Typically these kits are nothing more than tea bags filled with various herbs (including Grande Wormwood and Fennel) that are meant to be simply infused in a high-proof grain spirit (such as strong vodka or Everclear). The resultant swill is so bitter it is barely palatable. It is also dangerously high in Thujone content compared to proper absinthe. REAL Absinthe distillation is a delicate, long process that gets rid of these unwanted factors.

5.)It will seriously Eff you up/make you crazy/make you violent/ad nauseam...
Not any more than any other 120-150 proof liquor will. This was 100% myth spread by temperance movements that were trying to get the stuff banned. There are a couple incidents of poisoning recorded in history, but these were found to be the result of either toxic metals being present in the Pot Stills used or the addition of toxic chemicals to inferior Absinthes to mimic the color/louche of higher grade products. that being said, there is a slightly different effect felt during Absinthe intoxication due to the trace amounts of Thujone. It is highly subjective and very subtle. I don't really want to go into that here, just know that the **** will not make you any crazier than Everclear will.

One more thing... stay away from Czech Absinthes... they are generally all super bitter and nasty.

Go French or Swiss.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Last edited by JohnnyTrash at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
...or any absinthe. Research has not demonstrated psychoactive properties, and if it did, you'd need massive doses that would probably approach the LD-50.

Yeah, thats probobly true. I say modern absinthe only because of the mythos of absinthe being psychoactive, which may have been true in the 1800s. Though there also may have been a slew of other ingredients.
Quote by SomeGuyInJersey
what about lucid. How did that come onto the market in the U.S? Is it like a different form or is it watered down. oh yeah, and to the guy that said drink it straight, you will hallucinate and maybe die.

You are no man, go and buy a purse and stilettos!!
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
ok yeah im deff thinkin its not worth it now :[
Quote by britneyspears69
Why? Are you afraid it shall turn you into a woman??
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Here you go... a UG Forum Absinthe starter kit.

Get Your Absinthe
Order Lucid Absinthe

Get Some Nice Cordial Glasses and a Spoon
Order Glassware/Spoons From Absinthe Devil
(Also, as these can get expensive, there are usually some good deals on ebay for this stuff, too)

A Nice Ice Water Carafe
Carafe
(A simple Ice Water pitcher will work fine, though)

Get Fancy With An Absinthe Ice Water Fountain
Fountains
(I actually built one... it was fun, damned easy, and cost a fraction of what these do).

..enjoy
^Yeah. The water dillutes it a bit and makes it more drinkable, and gives this really cool 'cloud' effect to the absinthe.

And yeah, it's not psychoactive. That rumor was spread because back in the 1600s-1700s, a series of bad rainstorms ruined the French grape harvest. With the absense of wine, people turned to absinthe. The problem was that it became so popular, nobody started buying wine again when the harvest came back to normal levels. So they made up stories about how it makes you hallucenate and beat your wife and end up in poverty etc etc. Most nations have now made it legal, but it's still illegal in the U.S. because we're very backwards and puritanical when it comes to regulating the ways you can damage yourself.

Little absinthe lesson
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
^Yeah. The water dillutes it a bit and makes it more drinkable, and gives this really cool 'cloud' effect to the absinthe.

And yeah, it's not psychoactive. That rumor was spread because back in the 1600s-1700s, a series of bad rainstorms ruined the French grape harvest. With the absense of wine, people turned to absinthe. The problem was that it became so popular, nobody started buying wine again when the harvest came back to normal levels. So they made up stories about how it makes you hallucenate and beat your wife and end up in poverty etc etc. Most nations have now made it legal, but it's still illegal in the U.S. because we're very backwards and puritanical when it comes to regulating the ways you can damage yourself.

Little absinthe lesson

1600-1700's seems a tad early. It was 1864 when Thujone was first coined as a psychoactive, and Europe didn't end up banning absinthe until the early 1900s.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
1600-1700's seems a tad early. It was 1864 when Thujone was first coined as a psychoactive, and Europe didn't end up banning absinthe until the early 1900s.

I stand corrected

I'm a little fuzzy on the dates, but I'm certain of the rest of the story.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Isn't absinthe the drink that all those French impressionist artists drank? Dunno...just heard that somewhere.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
its like drinking vodka straight but with twice the burn and it tastes kinda strange (me n some mates were shotting it straight and payed for it the next day) but yeah we were pissed VERY quickly. i don't think what we had was that strong compared to imported stuff it was only 50% alcohol and only one person saw anything trippy but they freaked out.

but it may be legal here and may have been the real deal i dont know it was my first experience of it
I am me. Live with it.
Last edited by DeAd-RiP at Feb 2, 2008,
first of all, to all the people saying absinthe is illegal in the US, it is not and never was! it has always been legal to posess, or to buy it from out of the country, and recently, it was made legal to buy and sell it in the US. The first time i tried it was in mexico, and it was awesome, you do not hallucinate like everyone says however. the best way to describe it is that it's kind of like a "cleaner" drunk feeling. the second time i tried it a friend brought it back from mexico, and it was a higher proof so we were expecting a higher quality product, however it sucked! We all felt like complete **** after drinking it. just recently i tried it again, i think the bottle was from france, and it was much better and more enjoyable, but really expencive.
Quote by freedumb
first of all, to all the people saying absinthe is illegal in the US, it is not and never was! it has always been legal to posess, or to buy it from out of the country, and recently, it was made legal to buy and sell it in the US.

I copy+paste :
Quote by Wikipedia

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection literature, "The importation of Absinthe and any other liquors or liqueurs that contain Artemisia absinthium is prohibited." On the other hand, FDA regulations allow Artemisia species in foods or beverages, but those that contain Artemisia species, white cedar, oak moss, tansy or Yarrow, must be thujone free. Other herbs that contain thujone have no restrictions. For example, sage and sage oil (which can be almost 50% thujone) are on the FDA's list of substances generally recognized as safe.

The prevailing consensus of interpretation of United States law and regulations among American absinthe connoisseurs is that it is probably legal to purchase such a product for personal use in the U.S. It is prohibited to sell items meant for human consumption which contain thujone derived from Artemisia species. (This derives from a Food and Drug Administration regulation, as opposed to a DEA regulation.) Customs regulations specifically forbid the importation of 'absinthe'. Absinthe can be and occasionally is seized by United States Customs if it appears to be for human consumption and can be seized inside the U.S. with a warrant.

A faux-absinthe liquor called Absente, made with southern wormwood (Artemisia abrotanum) instead of grande wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), is sold legally in the United States and does not contain Grande Wormwood. This was the first US approval referring to "absinthe" on the front label; the front label says "Absinthe Refined" but the US Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) classified the product as Liqueur.

In 2007 the first legally available absinthe has been approved for sale in the United States. These brands must pass TTB testing, which is performed by the Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry method[70] and TTB considers a product to be thujone-free if the FDA's test measures less than 10ppm (equal to 10mg/Kg) thujone.

As far as I'm aware, prohibiting, and forbidding importation are basically other ways of saying "not allowed".
Quote by the spiker
Want a recipe for absinthe? email me

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Let me guess, involves soaking herbs in strong alcohol in the dark for two weeks?

That's not absinthe.

Quote by JohnnyTrash
Calm down... all he was saying is that there is no such thing as a recipe to "MAKE" Absinthe... only to "DISTILL" it.

Last edited by the spiker at Feb 2, 2008,
Important to note significant differences here.

Basically the FDA regards it as "Not approved for human consumption".
They regard pine tar the same, I would imagine, but if you ate some, it would not be illegal.

In that respect, Absinthe is not outright "banned" in the same manner as illicit drugs. It just cannot be sold as a consumable (unless it meets FDA requirements in regards to Thujone levels).
Page 1 of 2