Well i did my first customizing job today. My goals were:

A Super distortion in the bridge
A PAF Pro in the Neck
Lace Sensor Silver in Middle
New pots
A New selector switch

I have no prior sodering experiance so this will be a tough job for me.

7 hours and 2 fits of rage later:

A working but humming super distortion in the neck
A lace sensor in the middle thats too low and the wires are sodered to the wrong places (screw you lace and your reverse wire coloring)
A very very low output PAF Pro in the bridge
A Tone pot that acts like a volume pot
A Volume pot that pretty much does nothing
A 100% working selector switch

Well it's safe to say that i complety ****ed up this job, but not without learning a lot, especialy to measure 4 times then cut and schematics and diagrams are not the same thing.

(I'll have pictures when the job is done again and done right)

I make this thread as both to show my first customizing project and as a warning to noob customizers to make you first project less ambitious.

Peace all.
Umm, no offense but this really isn't typical of a first mod, wiring isn't all that hard at all. Raise the PAF to get more output, resolder the lace and shield the cavity to get rid of the hum. If the tone works as volume, keep it and rewire a tone knob. Voila, you have a working circuit system, just like any "n00b" who does his damn research.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
The thing is, the paf pro is a neck pickup and somehow it ended in the bridge but and the distortion plus is a bridge and ended up as a neck (they looked so much alike).

I still think my project was a bit much for a noob like me.
Quote by Dance_of_Death

I still think my project was a bit much for a noob like me.

Practice soldering random wires together and apart. You'll get the hang of it fast, then you can finish your job. You know you can undo solder right? You can just melt it off.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Quote by PimpedOutSquier
Practice soldering random wires together and apart. You'll get the hang of it fast, then you can finish your job. You know you can undo solder right? You can just melt it off.

I'm going to work on it agian tommarrow but undoing the soder on the selector switch is tough because of how small the holes are and how i wrapped the wire around them.

I mostly got frustrated because of how many times i burned myself.
??? You just said the selector switch works fine, so don't undo it.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Here's the idea: Instead of unsoldering the switch, cut the wires going to it an inch or so from where they join the switch, and solder to them later. That way the difficult part is already done.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Sounds like you need to work on your soLdering
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this