Hey everyone. I am getting into Latin jazz as of late and I was looking for suggestions on some good artists. I know this should go in some other forum but I want suggestions from a bass player's perspective (i.e. interesting bass lines in the music). Thanks.
Horace Silver. Arturo O'Farrill, Chick Corea (to an extent) and Tito Puente would be some good places to start. Beyond that list I would leave you to those more well versed in this genre, since these artists have been sadly the extent of my experience.
Stan Getz, Astrud Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim are three off the top of my head, I'll edit some more in if I can think of any.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
Stan Getz, Astrud Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim are three off the top of my head, I'll edit some more in if I can think of any.

Yes, the Getz/Gilberto album is such a classic. The bass lines are pretty simple in these songs from what I've heard, but it's still very, very good.
A T-bird and a Big Muff in your GAS list!? Egad man, are you trying to kill me!?
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Line6 LD150Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
latin jazz as in bossa nova sort of stuff, or more modern crazy stuff?

because the bossa nova isnt going to be exciting for a bass player to play to often
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
To be honest you're really not going to find many interesting latin jazz basslines. In latin its really the bassists job to keep the time, lay down the rhythm and dictate the harmony much more so than general swing style jazz. This limits a lot of what you can do, especially in bigger groups.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by latinosuperstud

because the bossa nova isnt going to be exciting for a bass player to play to often

well no, the bass lines in bossa nova arent very exciting, but when you play them in a tight bossa nova band who know what they are doing, it can all sound so great and get people dancing. then its really fun.
i need to get a better signature.
Playing bossa nova bass is a great way to get your timing tight. If you are off by the tiniest bit, its extremely noticeable.
a great jazz song with a latin sort of feel is 'elegant people' by the jaco pastorious big band, the bass playings amazing aswell