So, ive narrowed (not really) my choices down to Vox Valvetronix Ad30vt, Palomino V8, the Blackheart halfstack, and Epiphone Valve Junior. What do you guys think i should get? I have a Epiphone Les paul, and just play lots of rock. And if you choose the Palomino, suggest some pedals.
i'd say valve junior half stack, with maybe a big muff or, ts9, and or a EQ, thats my 2 cents hope you found it help ful
get a Line 6 Spider III modeling combo....different sizes, different prices
Quote by AeroRocker
get a Line 6 Spider III modeling combo....different sizes, different prices

Phail.
TS, you were on the right track with some nice amps. Don't listen to anyone suggesting Line 6 spiders or Marshall MGs.
Roland Cube 30x really nice sound effects great distortion. Great reviews and really nice sound and its good for the price, one of the best solid state amps...Line 6 really bad effects.. and vox same digital stuff just like line 6.
If you wanted to get the V8, you could still afford the V16 from Guitarcenter.com, it's only 280 and it can do what you need.

If you get the V16, you avoid having to get an EQ pedal cause it has a 3 band EQ.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Go with the Vox, and then, and then.....

and then no.....no vox..
Vox is NICE, don't be fooled. people are starting to go against the vox modeling line all of a sudden b/c it's turning out to be an awesome amp. there's some kind of code of conduct on UG that says if an amp is truly worth it's value and delivers on all levels, they must find any little thing to say it isn't the best...it's just how it is.

how do i know this?

hmm, two or so years ago when i asked UG what amp to get, i was suggested the Vox valvetronix and NO ONE had ANYTHING bad to say about it. and just since last month i've seen more and more people trying to talk down the Vavletronix line....i don't understand. they really are pretty much the best value for their price!

no hard feelings on anyone of course, i don't want to offend anyone. that's my honest opinion
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
Vox is NICE, don't be fooled. people are starting to go against the vox modeling line all of a sudden b/c it's turning out to be an awesome amp. there's some kind of code of conduct on UG that says if an amp is truly worth it's value and delivers on all levels, they must find any little thing to say it isn't the best...it's just how it is.

how do i know this?

hmm, two or so years ago when i asked UG what amp to get, i was suggested the Vox valvetronix and NO ONE had ANYTHING bad to say about it. and just since last month i've seen more and more people trying to talk down the Vavletronix line....i don't understand. they really are pretty much the best value for their price!

no hard feelings on anyone of course, i don't want to offend anyone. that's my honest opinion

Agreed, they are very nice amps and are probably the best in terms of versatility and sound quality in one amp in the price range. But for the same price as a 15 watt valvetronix he can get a 5 watt tube amp that fits his musical styles better. If he needs a versatile amp with some nice sounds, Valvetronix all the way. If he wants cleans and classic rock tones, 5 watt tube amp FTW.
ive got a palamino v8

i like it..
i ordered some jj tubes for it. to try out some other sounds.

with the volume down low its pretty thin.

the tone control is wierd..
12 o clock is the brightest 3 o clock is taking out mids and 9 o clock is adding mids

my telecaster copy has a lot of twang on this amp

gain is almost useless past 3 o clock.. but that may be the tubes cause i got a floor model buts its made in usa so i took it

hopefully the jj tubes helps

overall i like it.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Phail.
TS, you were on the right track with some nice amps. Don't listen to anyone suggesting Line 6 spiders or Marshall MGs.

TS means?
hes half right. if you need a versitle not so loud practice amp for cheap get a LINE 6 spider. just cus people dont like then doesnt mean you wont. but he is right about the MG. theyre usually horrible nomatter what
Palomino + Fulltone OCD = win IMO. But if you're on the budget, Palomino + Digitech Bad Monkey would suffice.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Phail.

I've got a Spider III 75, and it sounds pretty damned good.

I see a lot of new players, or players with cheaper guitars shouting them down all the time.

I'm no great player by any stretch, but playing through my Spider III makes me HAPPY.
Ovation Accoustic
Highway 1 Stratocaster
Spider III 75
Boss DS-1

And lots of SMILES!!!
I had bought myself the VOX AD30VT but in the end I returned it for the Valve Junior. I found the VOX was a solid amp but that for what I want to do it had too many options, I didn't really need to have all those tones, what I wanted was 1 really good tone, and I figure I will work with that tone and add pedals if I want then later I can always upgrade the amp and still have a nice setup to work with on the new amp.
Quote by NFA34
I've got a Spider III 75, and it sounds pretty damned good.

I see a lot of new players, or players with cheaper guitars shouting them down all the time.

I'm no great player by any stretch, but playing through my Spider III makes me HAPPY.

Actually, I see a lot of new players, or players with cheaper guitars praising them all the time. And I see a lot of experienced people (and people from the Who To Listen To-thread) telling people not to get them (with the possible exception of the 15-watt version, which isn't too bad for what it is). If playing through the amp makes you happy, good - nothing wrong with it. However, I seriously doubt you'll appreciate the tone in a few years.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
However, I seriously doubt you'll appreciate the tone in a few years.

I'll concede that point, for sure.

But REALLY, what does a 15 year old know about ANYTHING??? And that's a fair share of the membership here. Heck, one thread this morning "What's a good job for a 13 year old to make money?". Come on, I'm supposed to take a kid's word as gospel?

I know I have a lot to learn, 'sho nuff. But these amps don't sound "bad" by any stretch. Can a tube amp sound better. Sure!

I know just a little bit about guitar, but I know a lot about guns... and it's the same stuff over in that hobby. People with an internet connection saying stuff over and over that they've READ on the internet connection, as opposed to real world experience.

I value wisdom of others, but not so much about "my friend's older brother's cousin's boyfriends next door neighbors nephew SEZ!!!"
Ovation Accoustic
Highway 1 Stratocaster
Spider III 75
Boss DS-1

And lots of SMILES!!!
Quote by slash_rocks2005

how do i know this?

Umm..Im not really following a code they really do suck.. Don't get the idea that It has that *tube sound*..It's a solid state amp to the max.
yo thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Now, I'm pretty sure i want the Blackheart. I'm still gonna go try all of them out when i have the time. What OD pedal do you think i should get with it?
Is the OD included in the original budget? If it is, your best bet would a Digitech Bad Monkey. If you can spring for something more expensive, then I'd suggest a Tubescreamer or an OCD.
Mitch Hedberg Group

Quote by Irnmaiden4life

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
i have a noobish question

Whats the diff between OD and distortion and what should i get w/ a tube amp?
Quote by NFA34
I'll concede that point, for sure.

But REALLY, what does a 15 year old know about ANYTHING??? And that's a fair share of the membership here. Heck, one thread this morning "What's a good job for a 13 year old to make money?". Come on, I'm supposed to take a kid's word as gospel?

I know I have a lot to learn, 'sho nuff. But these amps don't sound "bad" by any stretch. Can a tube amp sound better. Sure!

I know just a little bit about guitar, but I know a lot about guns... and it's the same stuff over in that hobby. People with an internet connection saying stuff over and over that they've READ on the internet connection, as opposed to real world experience.

I value wisdom of others, but not so much about "my friend's older brother's cousin's boyfriends next door neighbors nephew SEZ!!!"

You know, a fifteen year old gave me some good advice back in the day. 'Dude, what are you doing? That's not how you roll a jay, push over.' I kid of course, but I don't think that's really a fair thing to say. I mean, my thirteen year old godson came up with brilliant ideas for his science fair. Things I would have NEVER thought of. Granted science was never my forte.

Back on topic. Great amps under 300 dollars? The Laney LC15 is pretty ace. The Epiphone Valve Junior is also a solid choice.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by rooster201
i have a noobish question

Whats the diff between OD and distortion and what should i get w/ a tube amp?

Overdrive is more mild, it's what you get when you crank a tube amp. It has softer clipping.

Distortion on the other hand, is a heavier type of overdrive.

An example of overdrive would be a lot of blues music, and distortion would be what you hear in a lot of hard rock/metal music.
Mitch Hedberg Group

Quote by Irnmaiden4life

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

how do i know this?

dude the same exact thing happened to me the people who said it was amazing are now saying its just as bad as marshall mg's and spider III's
Quote by life_777
Umm..Im not really following a code they really do suck.. Don't get the idea that It has that *tube sound*..It's a solid state amp to the max.

For the price, it's a great amp, it sounds great and does what it's supposed to do. That being, having a whole bunch of tones at your disposal. Even if I went out to buy one, I wouldn't buy one expecting it to sound like a tube amp.

Just because it doesn't have a bunch glowing bulbs doesn't automatically make it bad you know.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
For the price, it's a great amp, it sounds great and does what it's supposed to do. That being, having a whole bunch of tones at your disposal. Even if I went out to buy one, I wouldn't buy one expecting it to sound like a tube amp.

Just because it doesn't have a bunch glowing bulbs doesn't automatically make it bad you know.

what the....
Quote by life_777
what the....

That was me defending the Vox Valvetonix!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That was me defending the Vox Valvetonix!

Yea i know but when you said glowing bulbs and stuff.. umm... yea...that was kinda..dumb...
Quote by life_777
Yea i know but when you said glowing bulbs and stuff.. umm... yea...that was kinda..dumb...

That was a joke and it was referencing valves...
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster