Okie dokie. I've been playing acoustic, and pretty much only acoustic for like 5 years due to lack of a drummer. I had a trio kind of thing going on where I wrote song, played guitar, and sang...and they played lead stuff. Well we got a drummer, finally...so now we get to try new things. Problem, of course, is that my electric guitar gear is pretty beginner level. I have a Fender Standard Strat (the $350ish one. Mexican I think), a Fender Frontman 25R amp (quite small), and that's it.
I'm wondering where to go from here. 2 of the bands we get compared to the most are Thursday and Brand New, so I guess those would be the 2 whos sound we're most similar to. Anyway, the only distortion I get is from this little amp...and it's definitely nothing impressive. I assume (pretty sure) I'm going to have to get a bigger/better amp once we start gigging (we're going to write/record first), but I'd like to put that off as long as possible. I assume I'd have to get a distortion pedal at some point anyway....so do you guys agree that I should go ahead and get one and hold off on the new amp until it's completely necessary? Or do you guys think it's stupid for me to be playing through something this small.
I really don't know what I'm looking for here...this whole electric guitar/full band thing is pretty overwhelming for me...acoustic guitar is simple...just plug it in. I just need to know where to start...where I should dump my first load of money. I have a birthday coming up in April, so I think that's when I'll for the big stuff. I know everything needs to be upgraded...but what first? If it's a pedal, could you recommend one? (similar to the bands I mentioned) If it's an amp, I'd say the most I could possibly spend right now is about $600. I hope that cuts it. If it's a new guitar (which I doubt, though I'm aware mine is low end...I assume I have bigger problems). Any help would be appreciated...and I know this was just mostly me rambling about my indecision...but thanks for reading.

Edit: I do have a footswitch if that matters.
Last edited by WerdnaEgni at Feb 2, 2008,
$600 can get you a nice tube amp. Look at a valveking or something in that price range and then you can also buy a really good distortion pedal. I'm no expert on distortion pedals, but the built-in distortion on the valveking was nice when I tried it. And your guitar is good too, although you might want to put a humbucker in the bridge when you get a chance.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
wow that was quite the read haha. But I think a new amp would be good if you don't like your tone, size doesn't matter. Delay pedals are always nice too.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Haha yeah sorry that was so long...I just ramble when I make posts like this and for some reason think people are actually going to read it. And yeah I guess I'll look into an amp. Any suggestions or agreements with the first reply? Thanks a lot for the responses. And yeah I'd like a delay pedal, but that seems like more of a luxury right now when I have things with higher priority haha. I'm the rhythm guitarist so I think amp/distortion is top priority now.
Edit: Please keep in mind that I don't play metal...at all. I might as well list bands that I like so nobody suggests anything that doesn't fit me at all:
Brand New, Thursday, The Early November, Something Corporate, Jack's Mannequin, The Appleseed Cast, Counting Crows, The Ataris, Lydia, Straylight Run, Saosin, Saves The Day, Third Eye Blind, Weezer, and a little bit of Thrice...and some other stuff that I forgot.

I just ALWAYS get metal-like suggestions on music forums because that seems like what everyone on them likes...I just thought I'd go ahead and prevent it ASAP.
Last edited by WerdnaEgni at Feb 2, 2008,
Your guitar is fine, it's one that can last you for as long as you need it too. The good thing with Strats is that there are so many things that can be done to them to better suit you.

I'd say a new amp would be first in line. I listened to a couple of songs from each Thursday and Brand New, and for that kind of distortion you should look into maybe a Randall RG50TC or a B-52 AT-112. Both are more than loud enough for any kind of gigging unless you're playing stadiums, in which case you'd be able to afford even better amps, so you'd be fine for your needs.

You could also look into a Valveking 212, but from sound clips and and videos I've seen/heard of them, the overdrive isn't all that great in my opinion, but the cleans were really nice. If you were to get the Valveking, you may be able to get the tones you want with some kind of OD like maybe a Bad Monkey or if you were willing to spend more a Tubescreamer or even an OCD.

As for pedals, you shouldn't need much for now, but later down to road you may want to look into a delay or maybe some kind of modulation effects depending on what kind of sound you're looking for.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
^ Yeah, it sucks for me when I only earn $60 a month for my paperboy paycheck. It takes me forever to save for things, but when I finally get something it seems so much better knowing it took so much work to get it.
Mitch Hedberg Group

Quote by Irnmaiden4life

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
id go with a used fender hot rod deluxe (will go well with the strat) or a peavey classic 30 and then get yourself an overdrive pedal, good luck man
My Gear:
Epi standard les paul
Taylor 110 acoustic
Fender blues junior amp
Fulltone OCD
Where would be a good place to find used amps? Just a local music shop? Guitar Center? I don't know where to look haha. Thanks for the reply.
I mostly look at Ebay or Craigslist when I'm actually looking, but yeah, local stores and guitar centers should have some used gear you could check out.
Mitch Hedberg Group

Quote by Irnmaiden4life

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.