I have roughly 300 bucks. I want to buy from musicians friend. I mostly play metal, 80s stuff, and such. I'd like it to have nice distortion, and still some good clean sound. Tremolo or not, I don't really care.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
The OLP version of JP's guitar is, for the most part, crap. I know from experience.
Quote by PerpetualBurn
Die. Get buried. Wait for zombie holocaust.
I haven't heard great things about OLPs, but their upscale parent company, Ernie Ball, is great. Might be a bit out of your range, unfortunately.

For $300, can't go wrong with a Schecter Omen 6 or an Ibanez RG2EX1.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Floyd rose, or else it's not 80s metal.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
I was looking at the omen.

I like the kramers

So, any other recommendations? and do I need to switch the pups on any of them, or are they good enough?
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Buy an old Kramer off of Ebay. They kick ass. I have a Focus 1000 with a Floyd Rose (but I have it pinned back), it's got a single slanted bridge humbucker, and the fastest neck you will ever touch. We had sex.
my RG2EX2's (same as EX1) not bad.

Pro's
-awesome upper fret access
-awesome finish, looks nice and clean with the binding
-light basswood body
-Wizard II neck (could be a con, if you dont like them)

Con's
-stock bridge pickup is thin sounding
-minimal controls (could be a pro)
-set up was bad from the factory. easily fixable.

try one out. you could also try the RG321 which is basically the same thing, with different pickups and a mahogany body. UG as a whole seems to like that one.

:edit: and, apparently i wasnt the first to suggest it. but thats cool, you got my opinion.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
^Those are really good especially fr the price and the LFR is really high quality, you will also swear by those Quad Rail pickups, my friend has 1
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
go to guitar center, i found a jackson DKMG for 350(bought it) and a Jackson DK2M for 270 because it was a clearence sale on jacksons. A DK2M would be perfect for you.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
I think I'm going with the kramer. I have a promo to save 40 bucks... er at least it's supposed to.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?N=100001+9&Ntk=All&Ntt=Jackson&Nty=1
try these, Kramers are great too especially if you want a trem, change the p-ups tho
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
For the price and your playing style go for the Ibanez rg2ex1...I wanted the kind of tone you wanted this fits into a really great sound into the tone you want...Really great guitar for the price nice neck...and the pickups on it not so bad pretty badass. for the price. Light basswood really good, makes it pretty light and fast.... You should get it ...
ibanez s470?

everyone likes s470s!

EDIT:dang,i don't think musiciansfriend is still selling it...apparently ''discontinued''...but its still a great guitar!
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by Fryer Mike
Floyd rose, or else it's not 80s metal.

Ever hear of a man called Paul Gilbert?...Exactly.
Quote by NoobOnZone
ibanez s470?

everyone likes s470s!

the 3 way pickup on it looks weird on that ibanez.. to me
Quote by freshtunes
Buy an old Kramer off of Ebay. They kick ass. I have a Focus 1000 with a Floyd Rose (but I have it pinned back), it's got a single slanted bridge humbucker, and the fastest neck you will ever touch. We had sex.

i lol'd

hey thread starter dude, ibanez and schecter are good brands... just repeating what everyone else has said but yeah
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
id definitly say kramer or the bc rich warlock revenge. i tried it out even though its kind of cheesy (bc rich what do u expect?) but it had the greatest 80s crunch ive heard in a looong time. think like Cinderella or Poison
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Quote by KevnTone
id definitly say kramer or the bc rich warlock revenge. i tried it out even though its kind of cheesy (bc rich what do u expect?) but it had the greatest 80s crunch ive heard in a looong time. think like Cinderella or Poison

Oh noo did you just say bc rich....umm can you see me out back please just for a moment...
Quote by life_777
Oh noo did you just say bc rich....umm can you see me out back please just for a moment...

haha i know i am the smae way w/ bc rich BUT i swear i sat down in GC and played this warlock revenge and as cheesy as it looked it sounded great. That could just be a particular sound i prefer but yeah it floated my boat. i wouldnt trust the quality control still though id haggle for the floor model that i KNEW was good for discount $$
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Quote by KevnTone
haha i know i am the smae way w/ bc rich BUT i swear i sat down in GC and played this warlock revenge and as cheesy as it looked it sounded great. That could just be a particular sound i prefer but yeah it floated my boat. i wouldnt trust the quality control still though id haggle for the floor model that i KNEW was good for discount $$

Man im against B.c Rich but I gotta hand it them when I see a nice mocking bird around. thoughs are some good looking guitars...(i added you)
Quote by KevnTone

consider yourself disagreed with.

i picked up one of those guitars at Guitar Center, since i'm a sucker for white finish with black binding. the neck was disappointing, and the tone wasnt great either.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by freshtunes

Matter of fact...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-Nice-80s-Kramer-Focus-F1000-F-1000_W0QQitemZ110219023689QQihZ001QQcategoryZ41438QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
How long have you been playing? thats one part... Also, Floyd roses are not worth their time, especially low end licenced ones, I have an ibanez RGQM4EX1, and I know from expirience that these things are a pain in the ass. your not going to get a great guitar for 300. IF you can spend 400, you can get a Stratocaster, which is a beastly guitar. But seriously dude, after inspection of your current gear, I would say that you are gonna want to sell off some of those efx and that amp, save up for like a 5150 amp and than save for a good metal guitar like a Dean.
I am disgusted at how long it took for the RG321 to even be mentioned.

RG321 is perfect for TC's needs.
Hagstrom F-20

All of the ones that I've played have left me wondering if they put the wrong price tag on the guitar; they are that good.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I have both the G400 and the jackson RR

If you want a heavier sound(EX, Metallica, Pantera Megadeth ozzy osbourne ) i would go with the jackson. $309

The G400 Gives a good tone for AC/DC, Poison and Black Sabbath and it is about $300
Esp M1007
ISP Decimator
5150 III
Basson 412
Quote by life_777
the 3 way pickup on it looks weird on that ibanez.. to me

dude! it doesn't matter about looks! try it! its body will seduce you to a night of fun!