how can I write heavy music that doesn't sound like most crap (no offense intended here) and can be different from the next song I write? I always end up writing the same song by accident, then I realize I can't do anything that's different AND heavy.
Quote by qrEE
how can I write heavy music that doesn't sound like most crap (no offense intended here) and can be different from the next song I write? I always end up writing the same song by accident, then I realize I can't do anything that's different AND heavy.

Well telling you would defeat the purpose of being original.

Play around with stuff until you like something... anything, really... it doesn't need to be something particularly heavy even. Then you can use that as a signature thing. Then proceed to write heavy things incorporating that signature musical trait. Nobody can tell you what this thing could be, as you must find something that is unique, and can be yours, and yours alone. Also, don't get the idea that heavy means distortion, and diminished patterns. One could write a lyrically heavy song with relatively major sounding music.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Well telling you would defeat the purpose of being original.

Play around with stuff until you like something... anything, really... it doesn't need to be something particularly heavy even. Then you can use that as a signature thing. Then proceed to write heavy things incorporating that signature musical trait. Nobody can tell you what this thing could be, as you must find something that is unique, and can be yours, and yours alone. Also, don't get the idea that heavy means distortion, and diminished patterns. One could write a lyrically heavy song with relatively major sounding music.

im not saying heavy is death metal, i mean like palm muting and galloping, not like slow acoustic stuff, which is it's own type of hardness to write.
yes well AC/DC has a lot of songs that sound the same but that's their style... it worked for them, so they didn't to change a thing.

Anyway, it really depends on what you mean by "heavy". I'm thinking you might mean a song that expresses a particularly tough issue. I.e. Lyrically it's "heavy". In which case you might want to look at the lyrics of a number of metal bands. E.g. Bullet for my Valetine, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica.
Just to get a feel for the kinds of words they use and also the kind of sound. But don't limit yourself to a particular genre. Play around with techniques and sounds and try and get something that works for you.
Quote by qrEE
im not saying heavy is death metal, i mean like palm muting and galloping, not like slow acoustic stuff, which is it's own type of hardness to write.

That's your problem right there, you're trying to write heavy stuff based on the clichés of hard music. By heavy here you seem to mean "loud and aggressive". Most bands tend to rely on powerchords for their aggressive sound, maybe you shouldn't, or maybe you could just experiment with unusual guitar melodies, wierd rhythms, maybe a bizzare kind of guitar tone, unusual vocals, unusual instruments even, just think outside the box. Don't think "how can I make this heavy?" Think "how can I make this wierd" and then put it into the context of a heavy song.
by NOT asking others for advice, the only way to be original is by using your OWN ideas