I've decided to finally learn sweep picking today. Would this be good to practice with? I made it up. I know it sounds terrible but I heard that it's good to practice using all of your fingers equally. And my electric guitar has a broken string, so I'm using my acoustic. Would that help or hurt my playing in the long run?

D :------10-7---------------11-8--------|
A :----9------8----------10------9------|
F :--8----------9------9-----------10---|
C :7--------------10-8----------------11|
G :-------------------------------------|
D :-------------------------------------|

D :------10-7---------------11-8--------|
A :----9------8----------10------9------|
F :--8----------9------9-----------10---|
C :7--------------10-8----------------11|

D :-------7-10---------------8-11-------|
A :-----8------9-----------9------10----|
F :---9----------8------10-----------9--|
C :10--------------7-11----------------8|

D :-------7-10---------------8-11-------|
A :-----8------9-----------9------10----|
F :---9----------8------10-----------9--|
C :10--------------7-11----------------8|
I suppose any arpeggios are good to practice with really...

although I never really did get that great at sweeping... its actually really hard to implement in a real world (a.k.a. band) style situation,a s fast arpeggios really don't fit in just anywhere....

anyway, yeah they'll help you out synchronizing your hands, but just like chording, you have to become comfortable with each arpeggio independently (unless two are very similar I guess...)

at least thats how I am with sweeping... I havent even practiced/used sweep picking in forever, so my skills are rusty now lol :P
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
accoustic=harder than electric

it will help your playing

just practice man, work at a decent pace
you push yourself too hard, you will push yourself away and not want to do it anymore
you don't push hard enough, you won't get good at it and won't care to do it anymore

just practice at a comftorble pace doin what feels (and sounds) good
I didn't use any exercises when I learned sweep picking. I just tried learning songs that were really interesting to me and I got motivated to learn it.

Code-E is right. I used to completely exaggerate my actual abilities and I would always get laughed at. I realized that I had to learn walk before I could run.

My guitar teacher told me to always practice in clean with no effects. It may sound like like crap but while you're on the clean channel you're focused on hitting notes cleaner therefore making you a better guitarist.
Yea, I recently found the clean thing out. I've been playing for about 4 years and I just realized I'm terrible. Distortion hid everything I did wrong. Now I'm trying to learn some fundamentals
You might try using actual arpeggios just to get the fingering and ear down for
things you can actually use in a solo (although you do have a maj7 arp in there).

What I generally do is sweep triads or 7th arpeggios diatonically in the scale up
and down the neck. You can make them 3,4, 5 or 6 strings. That's stuff I can
use directly when playing.

Anything you sweep can practice sweeping, so yeah you can use your exercise.
You're using all fingers, but not getting a lot of fingering variety there. You might
want to add some that use finger rolls.
Might as well share some of my favorites...

|-------------5-8-5-------------|---------5---------|------------10----------|
|-----------6-------6-----------|-------6---6-------|----------8----10S12----|
|---------7-----------7---------|-----7-------7-----|-7------9---------------|
|-------5---------------5-------|---5-----------5---|---9-10-----------------|
|-----7-------------------7-----|-6---------------6-|------------------------|
|-5-8-----------------------8-5-|-------------------|------------------------|

|----------------------------|
|-8-----7--------------------|
|---9-7---9------7-----------|
|-----------10-7---9---------|
|--------------------10-7----|
|----------------------------|
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 3, 2008,
Thanks, but I'm not sure if that's a little to advanced for me. I'm still working on synchronizing my left and right hands. I just moved on to 4 strings and I'm trying to get some speed with that. Is that from a song or anything I could listen to to get a feel for how it should sound?
Is it better to practice sweeps on acoustic since the strings are a lot thicker or with the electric on distortion to hear my mistakes?
Don't do it on acoustic. It'll just hurt your fingers and is MUCH MUCH harder to get a clean sound. The sound of the arpeggio is quite bad but it is useful.

Gear:

ESP LTD EC-1000 (Main guitar)
Jackson KE3 (Backup)
Baby Taylor acoustic (first guitar)
Marshall AVT100
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Zakk Wylde Crybaby
Dunlop Usa Picks (1.14mm)
Elixer 11-49 strings