I have grown to become very interested in progressive metal. Mostly Dream Theater and Protest The Hero (I might get flamed for that one). I was looking around and everywhere I did look there were too many options and I didn't know what would be good or not. That's why I posted this. I need some recommendations that you guys know are good. Thanks in advance.
For plain prog check out the mars volta and coheed and cambria. You will most likely love the volta. I don't know much prog metal, however. LOVE dream theater though.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Check Out Opeth. They are amazing. They always have these acoustic interludes and stuff in some of their songs. and every one of their songs is at least 7 minutes long. I'd check out the song Black Rose Immortal by Opeth. 20 minutes long. It's pretty amazing though.
Quote by SideshowRaven24
For plain prog check out the mars volta and coheed and cambria. You will most likely love the volta. I don't know much prog metal, however. LOVE dream theater though.

wooo
+100000 for volta

yeah theres
dream theater
porcupine tree
riverside
vanden plas
king crimson
pink floyd
blackfield
opeth
marillion
tool
radiohead

theres all kings of cool progressive
not all of those are metal
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
i hate prog, but my dad likes: Porcupine Tree, The Pineapple Thief, Lacuna Coil, Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, Blackfield, Ziltoid the Omniscient, The Tangent, Spock's Beard, Ozric Tentacles and Genesis. Some of that might no be so heavy, the first few more than others.
btw me being kind of a newb at prog rock and metal, would protest the hero be classified as a prog metal band at all? I just assumed with all of the odd but amazingly coordinated time signatures that they would be prog in a way. Am I wrong?
Quote by olliemo
i hate prog, but my dad likes: Porcupine Tree, The Pineapple Thief, Lacuna Coil, Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, Blackfield, Ziltoid the Omniscient, The Tangent, Spock's Beard, Ozric Tentacles and Genesis. Some of that might no be so heavy, the first few more than others.

your dad is soooo much cooler than you
he listens to kickass music like mars volta and porcupine tree

u listen to **** like my chemical romance and fall out boy

kill yourself
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by dervishguitar
btw me being kind of a newb at prog rock and metal, would protest the hero be classified as a prog metal band at all? I just assumed with all of the odd but amazingly coordinated time signatures that they would be prog in a way. Am I wrong?

yeah it can kinda be put under prog metal
its one of those bands that its kinda hard to tell
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Liquid Tension Experiment
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
This belongs in the '80's rock, shred and progressive' forum

reported
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
In before bans.

Try out Pain of Salvation!
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by Ænimus Prime
This belongs in the '80's rock, shred and progressive' forum

*Closed*
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out