Yes. this was originally in another thread. but it seemed out of place and the advice was all right but i would like to see if i can't get more feedback, cuz i see similar topics in this forum. (yes, i did read the rules, but i didn't think moving it elsewhere was spam simply because it seemed more appropriate here. mods feel free to delete this if I'm wrong. or something.)

Hey all~

Entering a battle of the bands competition at my school, and truth be told, its our first performance, (i have no experience in this, neither does anyone else in our 'lil band.). in front of an audience. So i have a few questions that maybe some of you guys can help with...

#1) what do judges look for? anything specific? I know one category from last years competition was that they were looking for whatever the crowd liked.

#2) I have the introduction from Through the Fire and Flames (Dragonforce) relatively down, though everything past the fast part of the intro i know too little of to go on (after the keyboard and the fast guitar part) do you think judges would look down on not knowing the entire song, but covering only the intro if it was done well?

#2b) we were thinking of having someone play through the fire and flames on guitar hero 3 on a projector screen right while we play the intro in real life, then the GT3 player fails the song on the real guitarist keeps going... Stupid idea? Or has potential?

#3) In order to enter the competition in the first place, a short video has to be made of our band just jamming a bit... would it be wise to throw that in there? (see #2)

#4) We are playing with uberly ghetto and rather random equipment... our bass player is pretty good but is playing on a first act amp, our monitors are from the late 70's from my uncles band a good several years ago, guitarist is playing on a 120watt spider amp, and the other guitarist on a 150 watt fender amp of sorts, the drum set is one of those cheap ones from guitar center that we got for about 600 dollars. most of our "cables" are half inch jacks with 3/4 inch adapters. think judges will frown upon the nice guitar amps, compared to everyone elses crappy equiptment?

again, any input would be nice! Thank you!

EDIT: The crowd is a bunch of high schoolers and the judges are random, no telling who they might be, cuz the school finds whatever local artists they can to judge. And yea, we've worked out a good way to end it (TTFAF), and everyone knows that part to be the most difficult song on guitar hero3, and that games huge in my area. we were thinking we would start that way, (real guitarist vs. guitar hero) being good at that game wins you idol status at out dinky lil school. i think people would like the idea of being able to play it for reals faaaar better... change anything?
Last edited by OrangeMexi at Feb 3, 2008,
1. Well obviously sound and if you guys were together, on time and stuff like that. They probably take into consideration your stage presence and rather or not the audience was into it as you said already.

2a. I would say if you can play it good go for it lol.
2b. Personally I wouldn't do that to be honest.

3. Not sure what you mean. If your talking about the video, if it sounds good I guess it would be kinda cool to play before you guys came out.

4. I don't think having the most expensive gear is that important as long as you can get a good sound from what you got. But I dunno how thats gonna work out with a spider and a first act amp lol. But if you guys can manage to get a pretty decent sound out of your equipment don't worry about it.

Anyways this probably didn't help a damn bit lol but good luck dude.
Don't play through the fire and the flames, unless you can play it perfectly. An easy song that sounds all together will sound light years better than a challenging song that is sloppy and cut off.

The equipment doesn't matter usually, as long as you like the sound and the crowd likes the sound, how big it is doesn't matter. Make sure you do a sound check from the farthest seat in the house.

And as for the video, jam it out, but like i said, make it interesting and funny without sounding sloppy. I've made the mistake of choosing songs that were to hard to sing, not pretty!

Good luck!
i loved battle of the bands because it made me feel like a real musician (we won), even though i was playing crappy music.

1. judges look for stage presence (get the crowd involved man!) and musical talent. if you guys suck, you won't win no matter how cool you are to the crowd.

2. we did something like this in our performance. open your set up with that intro, then have that fade into one of your songs somehow.
2a. that's really gay. no one wants to see you guys play video games. even though guitar hero rules.

3. eh?

4. In our battle of the bands, everyone shared equipment/logged amp settings so the stage wasn't cluttered with 15 half stacks. try and get your school to do that.
Quote by nate23
...I dunno how thats gonna work out with a spider and a first act amp lol. But if you guys can manage to get a pretty decent sound out of your equipment don't worry about it.

We have a good mixer with some decent preamps attached to it, so we have monitors to project it. Bass players pretty good, but we're totally broke. =D

Quote by Pepino123
Don't play through the fire and the flames, unless you can play it perfectly. An easy song that sounds all together will sound light years better than a challenging song that is sloppy and cut off.

I can actually play it pretty accurately, even parts of it on my acoustic for extra practice, i want to have it as good as possible when I play it.

Quote by Pepino123
And as for the video, jam it out, but like i said, make it interesting and funny without sounding sloppy. I've made the mistake of choosing songs that were to hard to sing, not pretty!

In order to enter battle of the bands, instead of just filling out some sheet or somthing, all bands have to submit of a video of themselves doing what they do best. we plan on having various clips of everyone playing individually, a good one of everyone together, and then somewhere in there we are going to get a short clip of everyone playing rock band at best buy.

Quote by metal_dan
2. we did something like this in our performance. open your set up with that intro, then have that fade into one of your songs somehow.

Any idea how to do that with fire and flames, so that when we go off into something else after the intro, people won't just be all like "wtf thats not fire and flames..." cuz that sounds like a good idea im just not sure how to go about doing it... like can you give me an example of how you did it?

Hey everyone, thanks for your contributions, i appreciate the wide array of opinions and ideas here, especially how some agree with ideas and some don't, diverse feedback is welcomed! Anything else ya have to say or responses to questions would be just great! thanks again!
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=rp7wxTSIfQ0

Thats MY band at BOTB. Im using a Spider III 75 and im playing lead in that song. Other guitarist/vocalist was using a 30w marshall VS30 (crappy) and the bassist was using an antique Roland Cube Amp. Your gear doesnt need to be top notch to win. (Yeah, thats right, we won :P)
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!