Page 1 of 2
Has anyone ever found a detailed family tree of the punk genre?

I remember that the Damned's 2cd best of had an excert from something that Don Letts was working on...
haha maybe they would be. like i said not big on punk. Although I do enjoy Ramones and Clash. I never liked sex pistols.. their vocalist so.. blah... but thats because im used to metal vocalists i guess.
Quote by samlocke14
no, sex pistols would be at the top surely?

Get off my planet.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Family tree would mean the ancestors would be included, so proto punk bands would be at the top
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Those bands would be at the bottom of the tree obviously. They would be the roots, what started it off for others to branch off of.

lern ur treez
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
the first "punk" record released in the uk was new rose - the damned in 1976.

this kind of broke the seal on a pot of molten lava that had been bubbling underneath the mainstream for a little while, leading to the '77 punk era

lots of bands came at this time, pistols, clash, sham 69, stiff little fingers..

try a youtube search for "punk 77" for an idea.

same time, ramones was going in america.

all this came about from african slaves -> blues -> rock and roll -> punk (in short terms).

google search "history of punk" for further reading
-Keep on listening to the great Joe Strummer. Cos through music, we can live forever.
Quote by samlocke14
no, sex pistols would be at the top surely?

No.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Quote by wilson479

this kind of broke the seal on a pot of molten lava that had been bubbling underneath the mainstream for a little while, leading to the '77 punk era

lots of bands came at this time, pistols, clash, sham 69, stiff little fingers..

all this came about from african slaves -> blues -> rock and roll -> punk (in short terms).

I think Brian knows this all, but he wants a family tree, a real family tree, not a description
This is why Rizzo is my forum hero
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Except that he put the Clash before the Damned, when in fact the damned formed first, and the Clash were stupid bandwagon jumpers.
This is slightly off topic, but what's a good jesus and mary chain album to buy? the singles?

I got played some last week, and enjoyed it due to the noise.
I didn't make it, i got it from Wikipedia.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by BrianApocalypse
This is slightly off topic, but what's a good jesus and mary chain album to buy? the singles?

Psychocandy
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by RizzoWashburn
I didn't make it, i got it from Wikipedia.

I'm sorry Rizzo.

I shall make amends by oiling my chest and dancing provocatively for the entertainment of you and your court.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Psychocandy
EDIT: damn Superblob!

Quote by BrianApocalypse

Get Psychocandy. It basically sounds like The Ramones on **** loads of acid.

That timeline missed out pub rock and glam rock that had a massive influence on UK punk in particular.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Aside from Psychocandy, I also enjoyed Automatic. Though it's probably not their most 'underground' album, or whatever.

But you mentioned that family tree thing from the Damned CD. I'm pretty sure there's another excerpt inside the cover of "Perfect Hits" by Generation X. I can't find my CD case right now, so I can't check who it's by, but it's only British bands. Then again, it is obviously only an excerpt.

EDIT: Completely unrelated, but I just remembered I had a dream about the punk forum last night
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by bucky_2300
Why the butt do punkers always lay claim to Motorhead? I've never gotten that.

From Wiki

Lemmy has stated that he generally feels more kinship with punk rockers than with metal bands: Motörhead had gigs with fellow Brits The Damned, with whom he played bass with on a handful of late '70s gigs,[35] as well as having penned the song "R.A.M.O.N.E.S." as a tribute to The Ramones. Motörhead, Lemmy states, have more in common aesthetically with the Damned than Black Sabbath, and nothing whatsoever in common with Judas Priest. Lemmy says he feels little kinship with the speed metal bands Motörhead have inspired

So technically, it should be "Why the butt do metalheads always lay claim to Motorhead?"
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by wilson479

that's not how it was at all.

The first punk rock records came out in the '60's in america, alotta garage rock bands that were around were called 'punk rock' it says this on the liner notes for the nuggets comp. It started in garages in the US not in England!
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by bucky_2300
Why the butt do punkers always lay claim to Motorhead? I've never gotten that.

Beats me. All I know is I sure don't want them.
If I could get help getting info, I'd gladly organize a nifty graphic.

I should make a tree with ska included, since ska and punk go together like naphthenic and palmitic acids.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Last edited by axeslash at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by axeslash
If I could get help getting info, I'd gladly organize a nifty graphic.

I should make a tree with ska included, since ska and punk go together like naphthenic and palmitic acids.

w3ll sk4 origonat3d 4rm a7x so be sur u dont scrw it uP!
that timeline cant really work as a family tree because it missed out alot of vital bands. and to wikipedia skate punk is nofx and punk rock is blink-182 (i got banned for trying to change their genres...)
yep, the first band to be considered the term "Punk Rock" was Question and the Mysterious back in the 60's Garage Rock craze
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Both lemmy and phil lynott were very involved in the punk scene.

sadly.

motorhead,ugh, I'd be fine if we traded Motorhead to metalheads.
Ok, I suggest we ask for the Germs in return.

Hold on, that's not fair, one of those bands is much better than the other, so we need to pad that out.

Motorhead for the Germs and £100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.
I hate you Brian.
hahaha this thread rules.

I don't want motorhead but brian can have them if he wants. They can be skull****-core.
Page 1 of 2