I am looking for a tube amp for bedroom practice and have been looking at amps such as the fender champ600 and the epiphone valve jnr.I have £200-£250 to spend and was wondering if anyone could recommend some other tube amps .Any info appreciated thanks!
What sort of music do you like to play?

And 5 watts can actually get pretty loud for bedroom volumes so i'd suggest trying some of these.

I had a chance to try the Champ 600 and liked it, very nice cleans and a nice warm/punchy drive. The speaker is a bit small which makes it sound a little "boxy?" However it was a nice amp.

The Crate Palomino V8 might be worth a look, I liked the V32 but have no experiance with the lower watt version. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-V8-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487825

Also try to check out the new Blackheart amps ,they are supposed to be very good and come in 1 watt or 3/5 watt versions.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5H-Little-Giant-5W-120V-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483077
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 3, 2008,
^ TS is looking for a tube amp.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Hi,I like to play mainly classic rock such as hendrix,the stones,clapton,sabbath,zep but also enjoy a variety of other stuff like iron maiden g'n'r,metallica,slayer,freddie king,srv,oasis,the stone roses and rock'n'roll.I ain't into gigging so a little 5 watter should be ideal for me,i just improvise and jam with friends.I've heard a lot of talk about the palomino and the reviews look good so thanks for the link,much appreciated.I was put off the epiphone valve jnr as i heard that they are plagued with problems,it's nice to have some choices
Quote by clancy256
oh sorry haha
didnt see that
my bad

No problem.

Quote by Allycuk
Hi,I like to play mainly classic rock such as hendrix,the stones,clapton,sabbath,zep but also enjoy a variety of other stuff like iron maiden g'n'r,metallica,slayer,freddie king,srv,oasis,the stone roses and rock'n'roll.I ain't into gigging so a little 5 watter should be ideal for me,i just improvise and jam with friends.I've heard a lot of talk about the palomino and the reviews look good so thanks for the link,much appreciated.I was put off the epiphone valve jnr as i heard that they are plagued with problems,it's nice to have some choices

Yup.

Any of the 5 watters like the Palomino, Blackheart and Fender should do well for Clapton, Zeppelin and Hendrix and most other classic rock. You'll most probably want a pedal for the more hard rock/metal stuff.

The Palmonio's seems to be the most versatile from vids and clips i've seen and it's got a good price so i'd look into that.

The Blackheart amps hold a lot of promise though so it might be worth waiting to try that out. Some users on here already own one so you could ask one of them. Never played one myself though.

Those are the only ones I have tried though, hopefully someone like Slats or Gabe will see this thread.

I wouldnt go with the fender, far too thin, and a bit er country, but the VJ is superb for what you're looking for, if find it had a really warm lush sound to it, similar to my Laneys cleans, it'd be a great basis for modding.

We dont get the Palomino here and the Blackhearts are no where near me, so I can't give my opinion on it.
blackheats all the way, its like an already hot rodded Valve Jr, for the same price. You can mod it even further, and it could probably do thrash metal with an OD.
Quote by psyks
the ibanez valbee is quite good

Have you tried it?
Im thinking of getting it, for a long time, but i still dont know how gainny it can get.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Allycuk

The Palomino's my favorite but it's not available in the UK, AFAIK.

I don't think the Fender suits the majority of your needs. It's more of a blues/indie amp, IMHO.

I'm not aware of any "plague of problems" with the VJ. Of the amps I've tried, it's probably the one I'd suggest to you. Harley Benton has a 5W amp that's essentially a VJ clone, but cheaper in the UK. These amps have more of a British, darker tone to them, and would probably be best (out of the ones I've played) for your needs.

The Valveking Royal 8 is worth a look. Like the Palomino, it has a master volume, so you can get some nice pre-amp gain at lower volumes. Also has a headphone jack, which might come in handy.

All of this said, if you like to jam with drums and/or another guitar, I think you should seriously consider a little bigger amp. Maybe one of the Laney 15W jobs.

Good luck!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.