So I figure this is theory enough not to be in the Vocal sticky.

1. how do you decide to match Voice to the Music. If I'm playing a C chord, how do I decide if I should sing a C or a E or what? I understand some of it is preference, but should you be accenting the chords or supporting them? Or should you be mirroring the guitar.

edit: just to clarify when I say C or E I mean the notes I'm aiming for with my vowels. I understand singing in key, but *where* inside the key is what I'm getting at. Do you normally sing to your own melody, like if you were to solo with a guitar, or should you follow the chords?

2. besides just listening to the recording is there something like sheet for musicians(I know there is, but is it available for like pop music)

it seems like there isn't music theory for singers, which is mainly my problem here. Keywords or explanations would be very helpful.
Last edited by capiCrimm at Feb 3, 2008,
Its good to sing in the key of the song. Go out of key if you really want to grab the listener. You could try to follow the chords with your melody.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
just sing if it fits on it well, its meant to be
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.