I play guitar and want to get a bass.I was going to get a Squier Bass pack but I dont know which one to get.
I play everything from cream to Bodom,should I get the P Bass or The Jazz Bass?
The "Forum FAQ" thread has a whole section on good value basses.

Most people will recommend a Jazz bass. But almost any Bass is a versatile instrument that can play any style. It's not like guitar, where an Ibanez RG and a Fender Telecaster are going to get you two completely different styles of music. Of course there is a little tonal variance from bass to bass, but it's more about what feels best in your hand, especially since your just starting out. I can almost guarantee that you won't hear a tone difference between the two at this point.

So, in short: buy the one that feels the best.

Also.. do you have to get a Squier? The Ibanez starter packs are higher quality. And not getting a starter pack at all would be beneficial as well. I know it's more expensive to get things separately, but no matter what the amp is going to really suck. So in the long run, you're saving money.

Anyway, good luck.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

I'd say the Jazz Bass coz generally it's a far better quality bass than the P-Bass, but that's not to say that P-Basses are all rubbish, coz higher end ones can be very good.
Agreed with not getting a starter pack.

I was tempted myself, but in the end I decided to go for a cheap but cheerful bass and a pretty decent Ashdown amp and I know I made the right decision.

If you live in the EU use thomann and check out their Harley Benton range, they're nothing amazing but they're VERY cheap and will allow you to get a good amp.
UG's Yellow Ranger

Well, Squires are a good choice. I had a jazz for almost two years, and never regreted it once. Just try before you buy so you can make sure you aren't getting one of the really bad ones that pop up every so often.

As said before, try to put plenty of money into a good amp, as that is at least 60% of your tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by untitled039
I'd say the Jazz Bass coz generally it's a far better quality bass than the P-Bass, but that's not to say that P-Basses are all rubbish, coz higher end ones can be very good.

Proof that the Jazzes are generally better quality that the Precisions please.

They are both manufactured in the same place to exactly the same standard, I'm just guessing you prefer the Jazz so the Precision felt worse to you.

TS, in my opinion your first bass does not need to be particularly amazing, it just needs to be comfortable, right now your main concerns should be learning the instrument and no worrying about tone, that comes later. Play all the starter basses and whichever one feels most comfortable to you, get it.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!