well on a gibson type guitar you've got "Rhythm" and "Treble", where the treble is the bridge pickup and rhythm = neck

but srsly, it doesn't matter as far as actual playing goes, depends on what sound you're going for O_o
you can play leads on the neck pickup
I thought like mostly leads played bridge and rythyms played neck, I think I'ver heard people say that before but I could be wrong.
bridge for distortion, neck for clean here, and bridge especially for lead
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by DSchmitty
I thought like mostly leads played bridge and rythyms played neck, I think I'ver heard people say that before but I could be wrong.

in these days of chuggachuggachugga etc.... rock music people play practically everything on the bridge pickup (eg: Eddie Van Halen, who couldn't figure out how to wire up the other ones)
example: http://www.bcrich.com/images/sm_gunslgr_retro_ylw.jpg

on the other side, you've got the jazz guy who only play with the neck pickup for the smooth tone you get

you just have to get a feeling for what kind of tonal quality you want/need. The neck pickup gives a very smooth sound but with some distortion on it can turn into all out mud if you play a power chord. The bridge pickup sounds awesome for general rock sounds but if you play it in the same way but over a clean amp it can sounds a bit empty, no fullness.
Last edited by seljer at Feb 3, 2008,
maybe im just weird but i use my neck for lead and clean tones
Quote by kirkisking
Were you like, physically abused as a child or something?

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
why dont chicks have tits on their back for slow dancing?
because sometimes, my friend, there can be too much of a good thing
Quote by kdog215
maybe im just weird but i use my neck for lead and clean tones

Damnit. You're weird.

I use both pickups depending on the situation. The neck's not as good for harmonics though, so I really need the bridge :p.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black