Page 1 of 2
I was just wondering what you all thought of possible benefits for beginners to guitars.
A lot of people will have started guitar thinking it is as easy as guitar hero.
So I thought maybe guitar hero could benefit them.

Mainly in timing. I think it could help with keeping the beat and rhythm in songs, not as great as metronome and hard practise but it could be really good since it's fun so it keeps attention.

Also, it may help with sight reading. Primitive sight reading but none the less.
It has notated the notes somewhat and rhythms somewhat.
Although you couldn't go from guitar hero to orchestral but hey.

What are your thoughts?

Edit: Just so you know, don't own a copy of GH, I don't often play it, not enough to actually use it beneficially. But I know there are people who play it all day, and night. This is about them.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Last edited by Mattalac at Feb 3, 2008,
GH is not even good for learning guitar! most people only downstroke the thing and tap 5 buttons... guitars have way more frets and are more difficult, guitar is also fun keeps your attention but takes loooootttsss of practice... GH is fun when you're fucking drunk
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

it can teach you rthym...alternate picking... and finger dexterity...thats about it..
Quote by kirkisking
Were you like, physically abused as a child or something?

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
why dont chicks have tits on their back for slow dancing?
because sometimes, my friend, there can be too much of a good thing
srsly, if you show guitar hero to any guitarist, the only way they can not completely suck at is if you mute the sound
gh is for pussys who cant even play guitar anyway =P hahah like you see kids who can play on expert and what not and they go to a guitarist who has some experience and says " yeah i play expert on guitar hero.. i bet i could smoke you playing real guitar playing this song"
Quote by kirkisking

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
Quote by kdog215
gh is for pussys who cant even play guitar anyway =P hahah like you see kids who can play on expert and what not and they go to a guitarist who has some experience and says " yeah i play expert on guitar hero.. i bet i could smoke you playing real guitar playing this song"

jinglebombs reference? ....ok maybe on halo
Quote by Dillona

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster

About the LHC

Quote by lexaah
jinglebombs reference? ....ok maybe on halo

huh..?
Quote by kirkisking

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
Quote by kdog215
huh..?

achmed the dead terrorist - jinglebombs... search on youtube it sounded like you quoted him....
Quote by Dillona

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster

About the LHC

Guitar Hero does definitely give people the wrong impression about playing the guitar, but I also believe it does help a player who already has guitar experience; at the very least it has helped to improve my left hand dexterity, and it is also a fun game. However, guitar hero should not b used as something to train a guitarist who has no prior knowledge of the instrument...
!VAN HALEN FOR EVER!
Ok I think some of you's don;'t get it. I wasn't saying it helps heaps, i'm just saying since it's fun and attention grabbing it can help slightly with timing and certain things.

It won't help with holding a pick, but it can help with hearing different guitars in a song mix.
It won't help with whammy bar use (since it's very limited) but it could help with timing.
It won't help with this that and the other, but what it can help may give the those beginners (assuming they do practice guitar PROPERLY) a slightly upped chance of being better.

Most chance is pointed at them giving up because it's not as easy, but none the less. It could definitely benefit.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band
Quote by urgey_rock
Guitar Hero does definitely give people the wrong impression about playing the guitar, but I also believe it does help a player who already has guitar experience; at the very least it has helped to improve my left hand dexterity, and it is also a fun game. However, guitar hero should not b used as something to train a guitarist who has no prior knowledge of the instrument...

fo sho
Quote by kirkisking

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
Quote by lexaah
achmed the dead terrorist - jinglebombs... search on youtube it sounded like you quoted him....

ohhh the puppet hahah that ****s way funny
Quote by kirkisking

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
Quote by urgey_rock

Agreed totally.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band
I can play guitar hero 3 on expert. I can see a few riffs that have improved since I started playing, but not much. I mean, I've been playing for 6 years.
Quote by Zander155
I can play guitar hero 3 on expert. I can see a few riffs that have improved since I started playing, but not much. I mean, I've been playing for 6 years.

You've been playing Guitar Hero for 6 years?
Here's a list of things Guitar Hero and real guitars have in common:

- the word "guitar"
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I don't care what you guys say. Guitar Hero has helped my guitar skill alot. It's increased my finger dexterity. My picking dexterity. My alternate picking. And frankly, it's got me into a lot of varied music.

You people rip on Guitar Hero and people who like bands because of Guitar Hero, but it is the exact same thing as listening to a radio and saying "Ah, I like this song. I might check these guys out!" or watching music television and saying "I might have to listen to these guys more".

Seriously, you guys are just the elitist pricks you hate.
Quote by Mad Marius

- the word "guitar"

It might help with playing standing up, be getting you more used to it ?
It can help with music tastes
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid
Quote by Mad Marius

- the word "guitar"

Get over it mate. Just because theyre not strung and made of wood or have specific notes that can be played out of the game doesnt mean anything.
Maybe you should understand what you're replying to before replying.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band
Quote by kdog215
alternate picking

not really
guitar hero swivels at the guitar
guitar swivels at wrist
Quote by Mattalac
Get over it mate. Just because theyre not strung and made of wood or have specific notes that can be played out of the game doesnt mean anything.
Maybe you should understand what you're replying to before replying.

Come on. It's like saying that playing Counter Strike helps you train to be in the SWAT.

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by metaladdict123
i think the only real benefit is that you get to discover new music and new bands

I don't think that's entirely true.
It could build muscle ever so slightly in the fingers and get you used to using different fingers at fast speeds.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band
Guitar hero controller=5 buttons
Real guitar=144 buttons, 24 per string
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by Mad Marius
Come on. It's like saying that playing Counter Strike helps you train to be in the SWAT.

Counterstrike could possibly help you with hand eye coordination.
It has been proven that racing games can help with that aswell so who knows. It won't help you with complex strategy and so forth needed in the SWAT teams though.

So you're wrong in that way.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band
Quote by aaron00lee
Guitar hero controller=5 buttons
Real guitar=144 buttons, 24 per string

And that proves what now?
You know people sometimes train their fingers while sitting in class tapping various finger patterns on a table. That's somewhat the same deal as GH.

EDIT: Oops double post.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band
they would only get timing if they play on hard or expert, none of this hitting it once for three notes crap.

finger dexterity could be good, but its no substitute for real guitar.
Quote by polargimp
they would only get timing if they play on hard or expert, none of this hitting it once for three notes crap.

You have to remember to play slow is mostly harder than playing fast in real life, so theres another thing. Discipline. To play easy you need discipline because it's so damn easy. Same with guitar.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band
Quote by Mattalac
Counterstrike could possibly help you with hand eye coordination.
It has been proven that racing games can help with that aswell so who knows. It won't help you with complex strategy and so forth needed in the SWAT teams though.

So you're wrong in that way.

I don't need a driver's license, officer, I played Need for Speed for 10 years.

Seriously now, one's a videogame and the other's the real thing. Saying that one helps with the other is just stupid, because not only are they completely different experiences, but playing Guitar Hero in the time you could practice real guitar actually detracts from your skill (because if you used that time to play real guitar you'd be better off skill-wise).

Quote by polargimp

That just increases your Hand-Eye co-ordination skills. Also sight reading to a small degree. I can now read tab (I'm learning theory but damn is it difficult) from sight. I also find that Guitar Hero is really good at warming up your hands before playing guitar.
Quote by Mad Marius

Seriously now, one's a videogame and the other's the real thing. Saying that one helps with the other is just stupid, because not only are they completely different experiences, but playing Guitar Hero in the time you could practice real guitar actually detracts from your skill (because if you used that time to play real guitar you'd be better off skill-wise).

Sweet lord. Listen to what is being said.

It is COMPLETELY different than that. To even go to the extreme that you would say 'I played need for speed so i dont need a license', in a mocking manner shows you do not understand. You are a fool.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band
Okay, for me the following have improved slightly due to guitar hero.

- LH finger strength (particularly in my little finger)
- Time taken shifting between chords
- RH wrist strength leading to a slight increase in speed
- Sight reading (not in terms of reading the notes but my reaction time has improved, particularly in this case with piano, but also guitar - so I can play the notes sooner after reading them, whereas before I would often pause after every few notes).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and being quite young (and only really into music for about 7-8 years), it's put me onto great songs I'd missed, like Carry On Wayward Son and Cliffs Of Dover. Plus made me want to learn those songs by essentially pointing out which songs have awesome guitar parts to play.
Quote by nosushi4you
It doesn't. I like jerking off, but I'm sure as hell not gonna do it with my Dad.
Quote by punkrocker10115
I <3 you!
Yes it is!
Second one to me

Kids, drugs are dangerous. Stay safe.
Last edited by DemonDante at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by rifftnstrings
You've been playing Guitar Hero for 6 years?

Of course, I enter Guitar Hero competitions and make 6 figures a year...
ok. this game was not made to replace guitar. in fact, people playing GH have started playing guitar after enjoying it so much

the game is fun, nothing else. its just like any other video game but more interactive
Quote by Mad Marius

Alright, tough guy.

Since I've played Gran Turismo 4, I instinctively know more about each type of car, where it's from, the engine type and total liters, how it handles, and its characteristics, such as weight, power, and power-to-weight ratio. I know more about how to apply brakes and acceleration in turns, straightaways, and how to adjust according to the type of car I am driving. I can apply this to anything I drive.

Since I've played Call Of Duty 4, I can apply some knowledge to the working trajectories and workings of most modern guns. I've learned tactical applications in different environments and team tactics and communication. I know how to read enemy movement much more effectively, and how to apply working knowledge to overcome objectives.

Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band, for that matter, have helped with hand-eye coordination, left hand dexterity in the application of fret movement, and overall exposure to music.

Try to outdrive, outshoot, or outplay me. Just because I play video games, doesn't mean that they haven't given me that edge. Sure, it doesn't make me an expert in any sense, but it does provide a lot of working knowledge. A lot more than you're foolishly purporting.

Use more logic in your arguments. It makes you look less daft.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Last edited by graybass_20x6 at Feb 6, 2008,
Quote by boreamor
I don't care what you guys say. Guitar Hero has helped my guitar skill alot. It's increased my finger dexterity. My picking dexterity. My alternate picking. And frankly, it's got me into a lot of varied music.

You people rip on Guitar Hero and people who like bands because of Guitar Hero, but it is the exact same thing as listening to a radio and saying "Ah, I like this song. I might check these guys out!" or watching music television and saying "I might have to listen to these guys more".

Seriously, you guys are just the elitist pricks you hate.

There's a big difference between us and elitist pricks. Some people might hate Guitar Hero, but most of us don't. We hate the assholes who play Guitar Hero, and somehow equate that with actual ability. And as for the people who like bands because of Guitar Hero, most of them like one song and SAY they like the band. A kid yesterday said he loved Eric Johnson. I mentioned something about how much I love High Landrons. His response: "What the **** is that? Is it on Cliffs of Dover?"
No. No it's not.
Quote by Danno13
PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"

My gear:
1964 Gibson SG
2007 Gretsch Electromatic
Washburn Acoustic-Electric
Some Fender amp
1967 Encore pile of dung
Page 1 of 2