|-----------------------------|
|-----------2---------5-------|
|-----------0----2----3-------|
|--0-0-0-0-------0------------|

______________^

You see where the arrow points? Every single time after I play the palm-muted open E, as I play the following chord, I always hit the open E. Any tips please?

And just so you know, thats part of the main riff in Orion by Metallica.
Try resting your hand on the bridge, not touching the strings. After the palm muted part, slide your hand back on top of the bridge. Its easier for me that way. And just practice too, you'll get it eventually
mute the low E with your thumb on your fret hand...future herman li eh?
Last edited by deathpidgeon at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by deathpidgeon
mute the low E with your thumb on your fret hand...future herman li eh?

hehehe Everyone starts out somewhere....

Anyway, I don't think its my palm-muting technique. I tried playing it without the palm-muting and I'm still hitting it. Its because the last open E is played upstroke, so when I go to play the chord, I hit an extra string. And when I try to avoid it, I end up missing two strings and only hit the 4th string.
Last edited by leephan at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by deathpidgeon
mute the low E with your thumb on your fret hand

+1
I do that all the time. Even if you wouldn't usually hit the open string, it's still good practice to mute strings that you don't want to sound.
Quote by whoismilan
+1
I do that all the time. Even if you wouldn't usually hit the open string, it's still good practice to mute strings that you don't want to sound.

Oh I get it now. Actually mute the string with the thumb. Not palm-mute it. Thanks guys!
metallica play a lot with downstrokes, so try to play it with downstrokes only, that should work better
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
take it slower- if you're hitting the open E now, it says to me you've jumped in a bit quick, just slide it back a notch speedwise and make sure its right before playing it full speed
"Their eyes, black in kingdoms of gold, like the rocks of this desert, where we wander in circles, tails up the ass of time..."
Quote by DimeDarrell666
metallica play a lot with downstrokes, so try to play it with downstrokes only, that should work better

yeah palm muting should always be played downstroke whenever possible. Just sounds tighter.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
play it slower, you're trying to go faster than you're capable of and that's what's making you muck up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by leephan
|-----------2---------5-------|
|-----------0----2----3-------|
|--0-0-0-0-------0------------|

______________^

You see where the arrow points? Every single time after I play the palm-muted open E, as I play the following chord, I always hit the open E. Any tips please?

And just so you know, thats part of the main riff in Orion by Metallica.

You could play it like this

|----------------------5-------|
|----------7------2----3-------|
|--0-0-0-0-5------0------------|
Play it like 1/2-3/4 speed, and watch your pick as you play.
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Quote by leephan
hehehe Everyone starts out somewhere....

Anyway, I don't think its my palm-muting technique. I tried playing it without the palm-muting and I'm still hitting it. Its because the last open E is played upstroke, so when I go to play the chord, I hit an extra string. And when I try to avoid it, I end up missing two strings and only hit the 4th string.

Go Hetfield and down pick it all....So far I've learned all Metallica rhythm parts down picking...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls