hi all

i want to buy a gretsch hollow body and i was wondering if the electromatics are really all that different?

apart from the obvious shape, logo, pickups and price, whats the difference?
Depends on which Gretsch you get. Some of them have pretty box standard electronics but some of them have cool stuff like dynasonic single coils and filtertrons. A lot of the more interesting pickups Gretsch use were designed by DeArmond in the 50's and 60's are made now made by TV Jones. TV Jones makes very nice stuff.
Not taking any online orders.
I've heard the 5120 series is actually pretty good, and they're hollow body guitars. I haven't read anything particularly bad about them so I don't see why you shouldn't.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
thanks for the input.

i more mean playability wise. just because the rest of the hardware and pickups are replacable.

im looking at getting a g5126. it has the bigsby and dearmond single coil pickups but i would replace the pickups with tv jones powertrons.

the good thimg with the tv jones pickups is that they come in all different mounting options so they can be fitted to practically any guitar
I had a chance to try (I THINK) the 5120, with the Bigsby, last time I was in guitar center. Wasn't fond of the poor upper fret access and the odd controls, but besides that it was absolutely great. Felt wonderful, sounded very much like a Gretsch. I'm considering getting the 5122 whenever I go about getting a new guitar (that's the double-cutaway version).
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I dunno. can you get me a link to the one you're talking about?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I've got a Streamliner re-issue that I have used and abused for 7 years now, and I LOVE the thing.
It's pretty much what you're looking at except it doesn't have the floating bridge, and it has the "cat's eye" soundholes.

One thing though- at high volumes with distortion, you're probably gonna have to tape over the soundholes or you'll get a bunch of feedback. That's just the way they are....