Hi

I have discovered a couple of dents in my fender stratocaster and i was wondering if anyone knew a way to get rid of them?
Last edited by mufc_danny at Feb 3, 2008,
Don't, it'll cost a lot in either time or money. Keep them, shows you actually play.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
also looks cool
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
It would include sanding/refinishing. If you want an in-depth description you'd be best going to the Gear Building & Customising thread, but I agree that you should just leave them there
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by mufc_danny
I hate having dents. Id rather it was in mint condition

i was like that when my strat was fairly new, now i sort of admire the dings and scratches.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by mufc_danny
I hate having dents. Id rather it was in mint condition

I got my Highway 1 in a trade, and it was used.

My wife grew up around music, and her cousin was a touring pro guitarist his entire adult life.

When I found out the finish on the Highway 1 was less than perfect (I used to polish my MIM Strat every time I put it away), she asked me "Are you gonna play it or look at it?"

God, I LOVE my wife!
Ovation Accoustic
Highway 1 Stratocaster
Spider III 75
Boss DS-1

And lots of SMILES!!!
dents build character
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
yeh. you have all been saying that. But that dosent help me fix it.
Id rather the guitar looked good!
Just take it to a GC or something. they will help you fix it, probably, but it will be rather expensive. It's not worth it imho

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by mufc_danny
Whats GC?

GC = Guitar Center
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by mufc_danny
I live in the UK btw. Whats guitar centre?

It's a place where you buy and repair guitars and other musician-related stuff.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by mufc_danny
anyone else got any ideas?

Man, if you try to repair it by yourself, you'll probably screw everything up (unless you're like a professional carpenter).

So, the best option is to take your guitar to a professional repair shop, where the technics know what they're doing (the keyword here is professional, or else you could end up with a crappy repair).
But, that's expensive. So, unless you have some extra money to spend, just leave the dents and scratches alone...
My Strat has some, and, at first, i was annoyed by them, but now i got used to them. It shows you don't have a guitar that's just sitting around!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by mufc_danny
i dont think we have many professional guitar repair shops in the uk

You just haven't looked very well, I think.

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Honestly, it's a hell of a lot more hassle than it's even worth...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
For how much it would cost, you would be better off buying a new one if it annoys you, or buying another body off eBay and getting it resprayed to your desired colour if it is annoying you that much.
Well TS, do you have a hardshell case for it? Do you have guitar polish and other stuff? If so buy them. You are going to get dents and scratches from time to time. So you can do this :
Every 2 years get sanded/refinished. And then polish the guitar yourself every 2 months.

And be careful not to bang it with other surfaces.

I have an LTD ex-50 and I don't have a single scratch or dent. All that I have is a little chip on the headstock, that came with the guitar when I bought it, and lowered the price a bit for me.
just trust us, it's not worth it trying to fix the dents, either by yourself or having a pro do it.
It's a little something called character.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Its not hard to do, its just time consuming. You have to strip the finish, fill the dents with wood filler, and then sand it flat Then you have to refinish it. If you MUST have it done, sand it yourself, have a luthier/repairman fill the dents and refinish it. Thats the only way you'll get it looking new.

?
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
^ i take it back, my strat fell off the stand during
band practice tonite and put a horrible dent in the
back of the neck. I am pig sick!
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
danny... all said and done, it will cost a lot of money to take the scratches and dents out, its a tool, use it for what it is, the first cut is the deepest as they say, but if standard guitar polish wont take it out, leave the dings as a piece of history...!

If you really want it repaired, take it to a reputable guitar store for a quote, but anticipate a high cost...
Consider this: A good chunk of the Fender Custom Shop stuff (maybe even the
vast majority) is pre-chipped, dented, scratched and paint sanded. Personally,
I find this practice contemptable, but apparently there's lots of people who will
pay good money for a new, fake old, guitar. So, don't take the dent too hard.
I agree. It's a stupid practice, IMO.

TS, look...it's a guitar. If you use it, stuff will happen. Getting it refinished is pointless. And probably only you will ever notice the dent. Obsessing over stuff that's pretty much inevitable is a waste of time. You'll just pay a lot of money to get it refinished and have it happen again, unless you decide you're going to put it on a stand in a glass case. A guitar is a tool by which we make music, not some sort of idol for worship or a museum piece.
Hi, I'm Peter
Strats look sexier when they're a little roughed up anyway man. Just leave the damn thing. Everyone who has responded so far is right.
VAN HALEN - March 13 at the Izod

Quote by xchiefx
What kind of idiot mows the street
The only time any kind of dent has bothered me was when a chunk got taken out of the fretboard of my s prestige, aisde from that let the guitars fly!
Diezel, Motherfucker
the first dents always the worst... just smack it a few more times with a block of wood and you wont think about them anymore lol
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR
There is no way to keep your guitar completely clean, the only way to do that is to never play it and keep it in its case.
High as tits