Basicly this is a question between basses, This or This

I love J's but the Ibanez allows the use of both the J and the P pick ups, I really have no idea which bass is better for me, as I play a bit of almost everything, from Funk to Metal.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Those are two very different beasts. The Ibanez has a very thin neck and while the Jazz's isn't exactly thick, it's no as thin as the Ibanez. The Jazz isn't active and the Ibanez is so if you feel you need extra tone control then the Ibanez is for you. The Jazz has standard Jazz pickups and the Ibanez has soapbars, not a P and J (I'm not sure where you got that from), the soapbars will have a higher output and will probably growl more whereas the Jazz will give you your standard Jazz bass bitey tone (which I prefer to the Ibanez)

I would personally buy the Jazz but go and try both out to see which one you ultimately prefer.

EDIT: Also, don't leave your options closed to just those two, try others out too.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'm really not an expert but my bass player uses a jazz and it's really good though not really a rock or metal bass, but for the funk part it's perfect.

Have no experience of the Ibanez though it's probably great as well!
Quote by indie-bassist
the Ibanez has soapbars, not a P and J (I'm not sure where you got that from)

After double checking that, neither am I lol, but the Ibanez does sound like a better bet for what I want

Quote by guitaringsailor
I'm really not an expert but my bass player uses a jazz and it's really good though not really a rock or metal bass, but for the funk part it's perfect.

Not to sound big headed or bitchy or anything, but Guitar players should stick to what you know, which is guitar, but thanks for the comment anyway.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by guitaringsailor

No bass is any more "metal" sounding than another - IT'S ALL IN THE EQ!!!

I should put that in my sig or something..
I own a SR 505 and the range of tone you get in the EQ is amazing, it can go from warm thick bass sounds to very twangy treble
Jazz, no competition what so ever. The versatility of Fender is universal. It's hailed as the vanila of the bass world. It's not specilized for any one style. They can play anywhere from metal, jazz, blues, rock, punk, metal, and anything else. But it is mostly in your EQ. I can get a pretty decent metal sound outta my upright if I try.

But I'm going with quality of the instrument on this one. Ibanez's are solidly built, but Fenders are more-so.
I love my SR 505. Haven't tried the fender model in question for comparison. I wouldn't compare them anyway, they're completely different!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410