Well, I'm currently trying to learn legato, but damn, why can't I do right pull-off when I'm using my index and middle finger!!!

Not even a small sound comes out!!! What should I do!!!???

HELP!!!!

Thanks.
pull off harder?
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

It shouldn't take much force at all. Just pull off lightly at an angle, as if you were finger-picking the string.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Don't just lift your finger off, sort of pull it down and "pluck" the string softly with it.
Quote by CowboyUp
Don't just lift your finger off, sort of pull it down and "pluck" the string softly with it.

yeah, its as if your left hand is not only fretting a note, but plucking it as well
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
don't listen to anything above...your guitars action has a lot to do with legato, & distortion/overdrive helps also
don't listen to anything above...your guitars action has a lot to do with legato, & distortion/overdrive helps also

Yep. Forget about learning how to actually perform a pull-off, just turn your gain up

The other guys are right, don't listen to DeathDealer. Also, check out this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632101&highlight=legato
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Yep. Forget about learning how to actually perform a pull-off, just turn your gain up

The other guys are right, don't listen to DeathDealer.

oh yes,you're supposed to pluck your string while pulling off
Quote by lexaah
pull off harder?

heh heh heh heh sounds kinky
Quote by justinrobbins7
*unzipppp* "Deal with this, wench."

Quote by Mazzakazza
Ug Knows 1000% More About Scrotal Sacs Than Real Doctors.
Hm Let Me Investigate. You Has The Painful Scroties? You Has Aids.
Next Plz.
oh yes,you're supposed to pluck your string while pulling off

How do you make the string vibrate without "plucking" it when pulling off?

Edit: By plucking I don't mean picking.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Quote by Ænimus Prime
How do you make the string vibrate without "plucking" it when pulling off?

Edit: By plucking I don't mean picking.

proving you don't know what you're talking about
proving you don't know what you're talking about
OK then so why don't you tell me how to pull-off properly?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
OK then so why don't you tell me how to pull-off properly?

i already did...if you choose to be selective that's your problem
You said to lower the action and turn up the gain, but what is the correct physical motion to preform a pull-off?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by DeathDealer

Ignore this^ Your legato should be clean and articulate regardless of your action or the amount of gain you're using. Both will help, but neither really have anything to do with legato. Like I said, pull off at an angle as if you were plucking the string with your fretting hand.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
this is why i don't come around here much, you asses love to act like you know everything & are the end all be all of musicianship

In a variation of the technique, often called[citation needed] a "Flick-off", the pulling-off finger is dragged slightly across the face of the string while performing the pull-off. This results in the string being gently sounded, either by the player's finger callus or by their fretting-finger fingernail. This increases the volume and sustain of the pulled-off note, although the sound of the fretting finger dragging over the string may be audible on both an amplified instrument and on a brightly-strung acoustic instrument.

& that's basically from someone who just pulled that definition out of their arse
if i felt motivated enough to prove you all wrong i'de go about searching for a proper definition
Quote by DeathDealer
this is why i don't come around here much, you asses love to act like you know everything & are the end all be all of musicianship

We gave the same definition that you just posted, and you said it was wrong and told him to just turn up his gain and hope for the best. Then, you threw a hissy fit when we said you were wrong.
Quote by DeathDealer

& that's basically from someone who just pulled that definition out of their arse
if i felt motivated enough to prove you all wrong i'de go about searching for a proper definition

So technically a pulloff is when you remove your finger with absolutely no motion on the same plane as the strings are on?

Aside from this being difficult to do, if done correctly one will completely deaden the note.

Generally when one pulls off, it is a good idea for one to slightly move their finger up or down, in order to get the note to actually sound.

I am fairly certain, a flick off contains a much more exaggerated motion by the finger pulling off of the string, whereas during a pulloff, one moves their finger only fractions of a millimeter, just enough to allow the note to continue ringing.
don't listen to anything above...

prove you all wrong

Seems like you think of yourself as the be all and end all of musicianship as well.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by DeathDealer

So... how do you do it on an acoustic guitar then? no drive there.

I usually pull the string (like bend the string a bit) then let go to get a good sound, but dont bend too far. Just dont lift your fingers straight off, pull them toward the ground a bit to get a sound.
Hello
Quote by DeathDealer

Please just stop argueing about this, you're only emberassing yourself here. Classical guitarists have been doing pulloffs the way we've described, without any gain or even an amp litterally for ages now.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Classical guitarists have been doing pulloffs the way we've described, without any gain or even an amp litterally for ages now.

really now?? find me one of these guys so they can tell me themselves...point me to a quote of him saying so

Quote by Ænimus Prime
Seems like you think of yourself as the be all and end all of musicianship as well.

so that's all you had left?? i thought so
somebody has to call you people on your BS
i just feel sorry for all those people that come here looking for honest help & has to deal with the likes of you people
All I had left? I had nothing to go against! You just said that we were all wrong but you couldn't be bothered proving it. Great argument. So, I just pointed out that you're a hypocrite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTYRXbNkChU
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by DeathDealer
really now?? find me one of these guys so they can tell me themselves...point me to a quote of him saying so

Not even bothering. Go look up Paco de Lucia's phone number and ask him, or something.

^Ty, Mr. Prime
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
bah guys, let him think that you dont pull off perpendicular to the fretboard, after all it's not gonna be our technique, or the threadstarters technique, that will suffer as a result of doing something wrong
Quote by beadhangingOne
This thread is ludicrous!!!

To the TS, are you having problems with the other fingers too? because the index and middle are probably the easiest fingers to use.

I think you need to do this exercise-
-5h6--5h7--5h8---------------
---------------5h6--5h7--5h8-
and then-
-8p5--7p5--6p5---------------
---------------8p5--7p5--6p5-

when you do pull offs, you should pull the string downwards and slightly away from the fretboard. It becomes a microscopic movement, but to begin with you can accentuate it to get the technique correct.

heres another exercise-

-5h7h8p7p5---------------------
-----------5h7h8p7p5-----------
---------------------5h7h8p7p5-
-------------------------------

*likes how DD stopped posting after the youtube video*
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by EZLN libertad
*likes how DD stopped posting after the youtube video*

please kid
just not wasting my time
Quote by DeathDealer
please kid
just not wasting my time

Right
All you did was come in here and accuse everyone of being wrong without providing anything to back up your claims.
i do believe that deathdealer is a retard
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by DeathDealer
please kid
just not wasting my time

Grow up. You're acting like a brat.
Quote by branny1982
This thread is ludicrous!!!

To the TS, are you having problems with the other fingers too? because the index and middle are probably the easiest fingers to use.

I think you need to do this exercise-
-5h6--5h7--5h8---------------
---------------5h6--5h7--5h8-
and then-
-8p5--7p5--6p5---------------
---------------8p5--7p5--6p5-

when you do pull offs, you should pull the string downwards and slightly away from the fretboard. It becomes a microscopic movement, but to begin with you can accentuate it to get the technique correct.

heres another exercise-

-5h7h8p7p5---------------------
-----------5h7h8p7p5-----------
---------------------5h7h8p7p5-

Yeah, I have to clarify something it is when I use my index and middle finger on preceding frets (half-step) like 1 & 2, or 3 & 4, that I'm having my problem.

Thanks.