Soundwise?
It depends on the telecaster, there are many types, different pickups, etc
The difference? The sound, man. Listen to some artists that use Strats (e.g Chili Peppers, Hendrix) and some that use Tele's (Jeff Buckley, Rolling Stones). The bodies are made of different woods, the necks are made of different woods, different electronics, different pickups, different bridge pieces, etc. There's quite a long list.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
a tele comes with a fixed bridge instead of a trem and does only have 2 single coil pickups while a strat has three. Both sound very bright with the tele being even a little brighter then the strat.
The bridge pickup on the tele is mounted on a metal plate, which gives it a lot more twang than a strat.
Quote by Aziraphale
The bridge pickup on the tele is mounted on a metal plate, which gives it a lot more twang than a strat.

Isn't that more to do with the way the bridge is mounted rather than how the pickup fits into it?
Not really, the tele pickup sits inside the metal bridge plate, and picks up vibrations from the strings through the bridge plate. The strat bridge pickup is mounted in the pickguard, which is plastic and probably dampens the vibrations, so it only picks up what the string itself produces. The tele will definitely get a brighter sound, and probably better sustain, because of the metal the pickup is sitting in.

That's the main reason I haven't already swapped the bridge pickup in my tele copy into my Squier Strat, it sounds great in the Tele, and is probably the best sounding pickup of all my guitars when I step on the distortion pedal, but if I swap it to the strat, it will no longer be mounted in the metal bridge plate, which will make a big difference in the overall sound. Might not sound any better than the one that's already in it.

Most of the major differences have already been covered, I find that teles also tend to be neck heavy, which is a nuisance to me.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
Not really, the tele pickup sits inside the metal bridge plate, and picks up vibrations from the strings through the bridge plate. The strat bridge pickup is mounted in the pickguard, which is plastic and probably dampens the vibrations, so it only picks up what the string itself produces. The tele will definitely get a brighter sound, and probably better sustain, because of the metal the pickup is sitting in.

That's the main reason I haven't already swapped the bridge pickup in my tele copy into my Squier Strat, it sounds great in the Tele, and is probably the best sounding pickup of all my guitars when I step on the distortion pedal, but if I swap it to the strat, it will no longer be mounted in the metal bridge plate, which will make a big difference in the overall sound. Might not sound any better than the one that's already in it.

Most of the major differences have already been covered, I find that teles also tend to be neck heavy, which is a nuisance to me.

pickups dont pick up on the body's vibration at all.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
The Stratocaster gives more of a "quack" sound, while the Telecaster gives a "twangy" sound. Mostly everything that needs to be known is above my post though.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
pickups dont pick up on the body's vibration at all.

Dude!
Paleo Pete know guitars like no one else, I trust him here.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
There's also differences in the circuitry, which contribute to the harder "bite" or "twang" the Tele has.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by sideoftheham420
tele is ugly

I think you mean they are classicly beautiful man!

I love 'em. I thought Tom Petty's Daphnie blue tele looked so good on the halftime show yesterday.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Quote by Hultan
Dude!
Paleo Pete know guitars like no one else, I trust him here.

He's wrong. Pickups work by emitting a magnetic field. When a ferrous body vibrates through that field, it creates an electric current in the pickup. The composure of the body changes how it vibrates sympathetically to the strings, which can affect the shape of the strings vibration, changing the nature of the current that's generated by the pickup. It's also the reason why bridge pickups have more "bite" than neck pickups - the very small oscillation pattern of the strings near the bridge creates a more trebly, brighter sound.
Hi, I'm Peter
Things I think of in Strats: smooth, bell-like, clucky for the split positions.
Things I think of in Teles: gritty, twangy, ballsy.

Throw some funky pickups in and they'll sound like something else though.
Quote by Comfortablylomb
Things I think of in Strats: smooth, bell-like, clucky for the split positions.
Things I think of in Teles: gritty, twangy, ballsy.

Throw some funky pickups in and they'll sound like something else though.

This post sums it up pretty good.

There's also the look preference. Personally, I'm a Tele man.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by sideoftheham420
tele is ugly

While I definitely agree with you very strongly, I really like the feel of playing a telecaster, and they sound very nice also.
However I would still opt for a fat strat myself.
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Dirk Gently
He's wrong. Pickups work by emitting a magnetic field. When a ferrous body vibrates through that field, it creates an electric current in the pickup. The composure of the body changes how it vibrates sympathetically to the strings, which can affect the shape of the strings vibration, changing the nature of the current that's generated by the pickup. It's also the reason why bridge pickups have more "bite" than neck pickups - the very small oscillation pattern of the strings near the bridge creates a more trebly, brighter sound.

ownageeeeeeeeee

I'd expect no less from a Douglas Adams fan.

/Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy is my favorite series of novels, ever
Quote by silly6-string
i never played a telecaster. whats the difference?

well.....nowadays.....Fender makes a disgusting amount of models.....you can buy a tele, that is basically s strat.....or a strat with 2 humbuckers, or a tele with 2 humbuckers, or a tele with with just a slanted single coil......any combo that you can think of. Fender uses all kinds of wood for teles and strats......there is no set standard for wood on either model.

So, IMO, the difference in sounds between the 2 is not that much at all.....unless you are comparing a real tele vs. a normal SSS strat......no other weird combinations.

I used to won one of those Fast Back tele.s....real thin body with 2 Seymour Duncan Humbuckers.......I loved it....a lot; guitar center special....made in Korea. The neck was soooo thin, and I coiuld play super fast on it. But in no way did it sound like a telecaster should.....with all that twang.