Right, I have a problem.

Sometimes I play a note on say the first fret and find it too low, so I move to the second fret on the same string which is too high. When I play in the middle of two frets it doesn't give a slow transition in sound from the first to second fret, it jumps straight to the sound of the second. How do I play the notes inbetween two frets?

Do I need a fretless?

Thanks
If you mean its not the right note as in you've heard it as different then tune it.
Quote by Rockford_rocks

As for me, I used to think you got a girl pregnant by sleeping naked in the same bed as her (no contact whatsoever), or by peeing down her throat.

Quote by foob85
Fap, take a nap, level my hunter to 80, and fap again. All in 30 seconds.
Your intonation might be out. See the FAQ on more details.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Fret's divide the neck into semitones, the smallest intervals in western music. Fretless would allow you to go inbetween the commonly used notes, but it will most likely sound highly dissonant when playing with others, as you will be using a completely different sets of notes.

Fretless do not have access to more notes, they simply allow you to play inbetween the tones in western music.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Fret's divide the neck into semitones, the smallest intervals in western music. Fretless would allow you to go inbetween the commonly used notes, but it will most likely sound highly dissonant when playing with others, as you will be using a completely different sets of notes.

Fretless do not have access to more notes, they simply allow you to play inbetween the tones in western music.

Thanks, but if you can play inbetween the tones, surely that means you have more notes
Sounds to me like you're out of tune bro. Check that, and see if the problem goes away.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but it sounds to me like you want a fretless. That way, you can fret halfway between E and F and get a tone right in between those two, as opposed to a fretted where it doesn't do anything.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Sounds to me like you're out of tune bro. Check that, and see if the problem goes away.

+1

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Sly Taco
Get that thang intonated!

?

tune... if fret 1 is too low and fret 2 is too high, assuming you were "supposed" to play fret 1, you're flat.

you're out of tune. buy a tuner. tune.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I don't think you want a fretless. I don't know about anyone else here, but the quarter tone, in between the "frets", isn't that pronounced. My ear isn't discerning enough of the quarter tone, to actually tell a huge difference from the two semi-tones it breaks up. I think you need to tune.
you would only need "between tones" to play freaky arabian or african music that uses different tones as their notes.
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Quote by gm jack

Doesn't a sitar (sp?) divide the notes into demi-semi tones? I could be wrong, but it's what I've been told.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The frets are movable, so they can be divided like that.

I wish I had my sitar with me at uni

Hmmm...That's very tempting...I want one.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Hergiswi
Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but it sounds to me like you want a fretless. That way, you can fret halfway between E and F and get a tone right in between those two, as opposed to a fretted where it doesn't do anything.

I'm planning on buying a fretless anyway.

Thanks for the help, I'll tune it and check it out
Quote by sammcl-15
Doesn't a sitar (sp?) divide the notes into demi-semi tones? I could be wrong, but it's what I've been told.

The frets are movable, so it can be tuned for each of the different ragas (scales).It is quite tricky to play I believe, but half the strings you don't actually play. They just vibrate when other strings areplayed to give the jangly sound.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
The frets are movable, so it can be tuned for each of the different ragas (scales).It is quite tricky to play I believe, but half the strings you don't actually play. They just vibrate when other strings areplayed to give the jangly sound.

My siatr has 21 strings, and 7 are playable.
Half wasn't an exact figure, just a general expression.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Deliriumbassist

You own a sitar? :O And I thought I had some odd instruments about the house...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I really want to get one at some point. This pretty decent website sells some handmade unique ones for like $300-1000. Very tempting
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
My guitarist bought a sitar a while ago, and he tried to tune it like a guitar. He is now missing many strings.
Screw tunning, I'd buy a quarter tone fretted bass
It just seemed a good idea at the time to try putting a tenth in above it, which is a corny interval. But somebody had to do it just once, and now no one can ever do it again.'