My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Different pickups and different styles basically
Was it challenging to read the specs on there and the gibson site?
the reissue uses old specs
Quote by Ralbert07
Get a sledgehammer and you can do the rest yourself. Sledgehammers solve everything.

Buy me an amp and I will marry you
the difference is one is just a "reissue" while the other is a standard. the pick guard is the only "real" difference. that being said i like the reissue
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
The SG Standard has a rounded profile neck if I remember correctly. The '61 has a slim taper. The '61 also has '57 classic pups and the Standard has a 498T/490R set.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by philipisabeast
Different pickups and different styles basically
Was it challenging to read the specs on there and the gibson site?

i thought there might be other things different and if u actually read my post ud see what i wrote.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The SG Standard has a rounded profile neck if I remember correctly. The '61 has a slim taper. The '61 also has '57 classic pups and the Standard has a 498T/490R set.

so i can replace the pick ups and buy the 57 humb for 200 dollers? Worth it?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
so i can replace the pick ups and buy the 57 humb for 200 dollers? Worth it?

Depends on what sound you're going for. There's nothing wrong with the stock set in the Standard.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by silly6-string
k. tell me this what do the 57 sound like?

The 498 is more suited for aggressive music. The '57 is more of a classic rock pickup. It's like a hotter burstbucker.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Both are great, '61 RI more expensive cos they use slightly higher quality materials, one-piece bodies and more expensive PUs. IMO both sound very similar, '61 probs more niched to lower gain stuff, Std to higher gain, due to hotter pickups. My choice is the '61 as I prefer the neck on it, for my style sounds sweeter too but some prefer the Std. It's your choice
Quote by ECwomantoneman
Both are great, '61 RI more expensive cos they use slightly higher quality materials, one-piece bodies and more expensive PUs. IMO both sound very similar, '61 probs more niched to lower gain stuff, Std to higher gain, due to hotter pickups. My choice is the '61 as I prefer the neck on it, for my style sounds sweeter too but some prefer the Std. It's your choice

I like your style. I've always toyed with the idea of picking up a '61. I'm thinking of getting an axe built for me though so...

Back on topic. Just go with the Standard, it's cheaper and you can do pretty much anything with it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I like your style.

I do too.

What's the custom one you're getting made going to be like?
Is the neck joint not at the 19th fret on the standard and the 22nd on the 61?

Edit: according to the Gibson site yes that's where the neck joint is.
I use:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom, in white

Epiphone Dove

Vox AD30
Last edited by Cowzer at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by Cowzer
Is the neck joint not at the 19th fret on the standard and the 22nd on the 61?

Why, yes it is.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
the sg standard and the 61 reissue share the same body except the 60s neck difference and 57 classic pups. i have a pair of them 57 in my les paul custom and they sound really good for classics and blues. but when i play a bit heavier stuff then my sg is more suitable. overall you're fine with the 490 and 498 pups. if you want to see a decent change in tone then i suggest you go for the 496r and 500t pickup. they are awesome for guns and roses and bb king type of style. and you can get if off ebay store for around 170 usd
For all of the musical styles you have listed, the standard is perfect.
SG commando

Inserts hilarious quote here
Quote by Drmckool
the difference is one is just a "reissue" while the other is a standard. the pick guard is the only "real" difference. that being said i like the reissue

The only "real" difference, along with much better (i.e. less muddy) pickups, and a faster neck, and the neck joint at fret 22 instead of 19.

@ Poster of thread: If you're gonna get an SG, get the '61 Reissue. It's just a better guitar.
Quote by thankyougermany
The only "real" difference, along with much better (i.e. less muddy) pickups, and a faster neck, and the neck joint at fret 22 instead of 19.

@ Poster of thread: If you're gonna get an SG, get the '61 Reissue. It's just a better guitar.

I don't really consider it much better, just different. Albeit, it's more suited for my tastes.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster