i have been on UG for a good 8-9 years now so i am not as you folks would say "NOOB" just never registered and i know how you guys tear people apart in these forums. funny ****.
my nieghbors finally called the police on us for noise disturbance. the cops were cool about it, suggested sound proofing. i didnt realize that the instruments could be heard well and at a distance. my garage is detached and brick. i istalled dry wall thinking that would be efficient enought to sound proof. the ceiling, garage door and two windows are just bear with no sound proofing. been reading up on sound proofing on the internet and found alot of good advice, problem is budget. im going with egg cartons; looking at the TURKEY EGG CARTONS since they are larger than the average.

any body out there going through the same problems with neighbors and all? how did you fix your sound proofing problem with the least expense on your beer money?
any advice on egg cartons? thanks.
i make sure it's cranked up to 11... and kill my neighbours...
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Turn down?

Also some rolled up carpet in the corners will help, if you have old mattresses/boxsprings set those up against the walls (preferably over the windows)
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Egg cartons do work well actually, and i've seen them recommended as a budget method of insulation in several mags

Good luck
Has UG existed for 9 years?
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
My uncle uses normal egg cartons in his room and it works excellent.
All his walls are just soundproofed with it and when above his room, no sound can be heard, only a little when on full blast and the full band is playing.

It also helps if you put cashmere or cotton wool in the cartons aswell.

Good luck with soundproofing.
I agree with "hamish1578"

Carpet the walls and roof... stops the sound from bouncing around.
Might not completely insulate the noise but should be enough to keep the neighbours happy.
Quote by Punksrnotded
My uncle uses normal egg cartons in his room and it works excellent.
All his walls are just soundproofed with it and when above his room, no sound can be heard, only a little when on full blast and the full band is playing.

It also helps if you put cashmere or cotton wool in the cartons aswell.

Good luck with soundproofing.

Ah yes, cashmere is a very budget friendly option.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
You could also line the walls with mattresses, you can turn it up to 11 AND divide by zero and no one will hear of it.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
I know Dave Grohl recorded an entire foo-fighters album in his basement with egg-carton insulation.

So I think carpet is the most budget friendly and easy option...but if you eat a lot of eggs...go with it.

But then again...if you look around, there's a lot of sound-insulation these days that's pretty cheap. And let's face it...your garage will look much better then if it were covered in egg-cartons.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by The Leader
You could also line the walls with mattresses, you can turn it up to 11 AND divide by zero and no one will hear of it.
Then no one will hear you die...
Quote by Union Jake

So anyway, now i'm here feeling rather dirty knowing that I just sat in a room with 3 other guys having a wank. I had to get it off my chest
Quote by fenderfreak101
Youre mom should have used the coat hanger to abort you as a fetus.

Douche bag.
Egg cartons don't actually do anything as far as soundproofing goes. As far as people posting their egg-carton success stories, I would say that's just a placebo effect.

What Egg cartons do is SOUND TREATMENT. Sound treatment is placing acoustic foam (or in the poor-man's case, egg cartons) on surfaces to avoid nodes at certain frequencies. However, this isn't something to be done haphazardly. You need to take into account the dimensions of your room and the frequencies that will be affected at those dimensions. (there's a mathematical formula for that which I can't remember off the top of my head right now)

You said you were using drywall, and if done right, that can be a GREAT way to soundproof! You're on the right track with that. Try a double layer of dry wall, with the layers separated by horizontal planks, to create space in between.
Quote by Metallica rulz
Yea I have been on UG for over 30 years now!!
Pretty sure it was started in 2001....
Edit- maybe earlier, I might be wrong

The forums were 2001, but UG was here before those, so It could have been here for 8+ years.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!