ok, so i heard that they cut some treble off of your tone when u dial them up yes? well mine seems to add treble when i turn it up on my neck pup tone knob and nothing at all on the bridge pickup. so do i just have ****e tone knobs and they are supposed to cut treble or do they do something else? thanks in advance.

PS please no jokes...PLEASE!!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Lower settings take away treble, higher ones put them in.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Do you have two tone knobs, one for each pickup?

yeh..i think. its a strat style guitar.

how would i go about fixing a capacitor or something if thats the case EC?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616

well it sounds like one of the capictors has broken on one of your pots (meaning it doesn't filter out any of the higher frequencies etc) so either it has broken losse and you have to solder it back onto the pot or else buy a new capacitor and solder that on instead
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Lower settings take away treble, higher ones put them in.
They don't 'put it in'. They just 'stop taking it off'.

The same goes for volume pots, and on pre-amp EQs, things like the bass/mid/treble controls; these are never 'adding' to the sound, they can only take away. Putting everything to their maximum will get you as close as posisble to your guitar or amp's 'raw' sound (though even if you have tone knobs turned to 10, for example, just the fact that there are pots there at all means you're always going to be losing something).
Quote by bokuho

The same goes for volume pots, and on pre-amp EQs, things like the bass/mid/treble controls; these are never 'adding' to the sound, they can only take away. Putting everything to their maximum will get you as close as posisble to your guitar or amp's 'raw' sound (though even if you have tone knobs turned to 10, for example, just the fact that there are pots there at all means you're always going to be losing something).

bull****. absolute bull****. you're talking out of your ass.
pre-amp EQs can add to the sound too. when they're at noon, that's the 'raw' amp tone. if you go futher, it boosts specific frequencies. otherwise my amp would have rediculous amounts of bass and treble if what you say is true
Quote by The red Strat.
bull****. absolute bull****. you're talking out of your ass.
pre-amp EQs can add to the sound too. when they're at noon, that's the 'raw' amp tone. if you go futher, it boosts specific frequencies. otherwise my amp would have rediculous amounts of bass and treble if what you say is true
I have my own pre-amps custom made for me to my own specifications. I know what I'm on about.

What you're thinking of, is a seperate (often digital) EQ. These can pump up the bass/mid/treble/whatever you want, ahead of what it would naturally be. These are almost always seen only in pedals or mixing boards though, and virtually never (in fact I'm pretty sure literally never) on an actual amp's pre-amp.

Quote by dsubstanceuk
I thought Strats are naturally very bright, so then the tone knob at maximum is it's natural sound, whereas anything below 10 is removed from it's natural sound.
Exactly correct.
Quote by bokuho
I have my own pre-amps custom made for me to my own specifications. I know what I'm on about.

What you're thinking of, is a seperate (often digital) EQ. These can pump up the bass/mid/treble/whatever you want, ahead of what it would naturally be. These are almost always seen only in pedals or mixing boards though, and virtually never (in fact I'm pretty sure literally never) on an actual amp's pre-amp.

Exactly correct.

Assuming you're right , why is the "neutral" position on amps always at 12 o'clock.

I'm not arguing with ya , you probably know this **** real good but i want you to explain this.
i bypassed my tone knob (i only had 1 on my guitar) cuz i found it was rather useless. it really didn't do anything but muffle the tone
Quote by bokuho

no only an active eq boosts. passive can only cut. and if you took the tone knob out of the circuit, it would be like having it on 10. it cuts treble.
Quote by s.r.v.
no only an active eq boosts. passive can only cut. and if you took the tone knob out of the circuit, it would be like having it on 10. it cuts treble.

This man is correct.
A basic Strat wiring circuit has no tone control over the bridge pickup. If you find this is the case with your guitar, you have the original, basic circuit. It can be modified with a simple jumper wire on the switch to allow tone control over the bridge pickup as well.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by s.r.v.

Actually, even though you have them on 10, the signal still goes through the pots, and as such takes away. Removing them completely would be like turning beyond 10. I guess this is part of the reason why some people modify their guitars to be without tone pot (e.g. Jimmy Vaughan signature Strat middle pickup if I remember correctly).
Quote by whoismilan
Actually, even though you have them on 10, the signal still goes through the pots, and as such takes away. Removing them completely would be like turning beyond 10. I guess this is part of the reason why some people modify their guitars to be without tone pot (e.g. Jimmy Vaughan signature Strat middle pickup if I remember correctly).

Correct. That's also why Fender makes the 'No Load' tone pot.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by metallicafan616

Strats traditionally don't have a tone control for the bridge pickup. It's kept maxed out to try get a more accurate Tele sound.