Right, I got an Ashdown Fallen Angel 40DSP Combo over the summer -second hand. I bought it from Dolphinmusic.co.uk. Now, I was aware that this amp gave a MASSIVE bass response when I got it, but I was NOT prepared for the....fuzziness that comes out of it. My settings atm are: Gain: 8 ,Treble : 9, Mids : 4, Bass :2 and it is still sooo fuzzy. Granted, I can't really play at high volumes, but I've turned it up maybe almost halfway and it's still so fuzzy - even with the bass turned almost off. I'm on my guitar's bridge pickup with the tone all the way up, and still fuzzy. It sounds like the notes roll into each other and the chords sound mushy. Basically, the one is ****. Honestly, my Roland Cube sounds better than this all tube amp, and I'm not exaggerating.

The really interesting thing is that this is only happening on the distorted channel. The clean channel is beautiful and sounds clear and balanced - no fuzziness - it has a great tone.

?I'm wondering if this is a problem with the tubes? As it is second hand I don't know when they were last changed, or if they were ever changed. I don't know enough about tubes to tell if they need swapping by just listening to them. Would changing out tubes help the fuzzy distorted tone? Or have I just been sold an amp with something else wrong with it? Or is it just the model -are all Ashdown FAs like this?

Also, would a treble booster help or would it just muck up the tone more?

I'd really appreciate any help, especially from people who own this amp.
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
If I thought my sound were fuzzy i would probably turn the treble and the gain down, not the bass. Anyways if it sounds bad you could take it to a tech, or try replacing the tubes.

EDIT: btw, I don't own this amp, but I do own a tube amp.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
I don't have any problems with the 60 watt version, I do usually have my mids quite a bit higher though. I actually get a really crunchy sound out of mine - you could possibly have a dodgy preamp tube.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for help, any other ideas? treble booster?
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
I really don't see why a treble boost would help get rid of the fuzzy sound. I've always associated fuzz with treble. Try turning your mids up and your treble down a bit?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have the same amp. I don't set my treble as high as you and my mids a little higher.

However, like my new Ashdown, my Pignose amp also somewhat muddy distortion. What really clears up the tone for me in both amps has been an overdrive pedal. The notes are well defined. absolutely beautiful sounding compared to just the amp's distortion.

the overdrive I use is a Maxon OD9. has made all the difference in the tone.