okay this is really stupid of me asking but can someone tell me what shredding is,what a legato is, agrepprio, and staccato is

man i sound really stupid ......

thanks in advance for the answers
shredding :´basically means play solo licks really fast (alot of hammering and pull-offs and stuf)
legato : you make a transition from one note to another without ringing the seoncd note again (like sliding from one fret to another and not hit the string again)
arpeggio (you spelled it wrong) : you play a chords note one by one and not together
staccato : you play a note half of its duration longer, should sound like a bit choppy from the rest
shredding to me is just being able to play fast as hell but making it sounding good. Listen to yngwie rip threw arpeggio and scales.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Shred/Shredding: (n.) the art of playing guitar extremely fast
see also: John Petrucci
Legatto: 1. (n.) the art of playing smoothly by means of hammer-ons, pull-offs, and
slides.
2. (adj.) smoothly
Arpeggio: (n.) the first, third, fifth, and sometimes seventh of a chord.
see also: Yngwie Malmsteen
Staccato: (adj.) short (musically), quarter notes, eighth notes, whole notes are the
same when staccato
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Quote by Jammin'

Staccato: (adj.) short (musically), quarter notes, eighth notes, whole notes are the
same when staccato

Depending on who you ask; some people say a staccato note is about half its normal length (which is why people don't write whole notes as staccato, it sounds stupid). So an eighth note staccato would be shorter than a quarter note staccato, and a staccato note in a piece with a faster time signature is shorter. All up to player's discretion though.

Basically, the notes are detached from each other; you decide how detached.
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Google is your friend.

Oh really, good idea now why didn't anyone else think of that!

Like how dare people ask guitar playing related questions on a GUITAR FORUM
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by Andy Jarvis
Oh really, good idea now why didn't anyone else think of that!

Like how dare people ask guitar playing related questions on a GUITAR FORUM

Maybe if people were to stop asking questions that could be easily answered by a quick trip to either a: wikipedia or b: a dictionary we'd be more willing to answer nicely.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Maybe if people were to stop asking questions that could be easily answered by a quick trip to either a: wikipedia or b: a dictionary we'd be more willing to answer nicely.

A). This is the basics section so perhaps it is reasonable to ask such questions after all that is what this particular section is for. However perhaps use of the search facility would have provided the answer.

B). Whats the point in having a resource like this with all the relevant knowledge out there within the membership. Doesn't seem much point in having a 'Guitar & Bass Basics section if all answers are on Wikipedia or google, let's just close it down now.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by Andy Jarvis
A). This is the basics section so perhaps it is reasonable to ask such questions after all that is what this particular section is for. However perhaps use of the search facility would have provided the answer.

B). Whats the point in having a resource like this with all the relevant knowledge out there within the membership. Doesn't seem much point in having a 'Guitar & Bass Basics section if all answers are on Wikipedia or google, let's just close it down now.

The basics section to me entails things like questions about technique and some basic music theory not the dictionary definitions of words, what words mean should not be answered here because the answers are elsewhere and would take less time to get from elsewhere and they basically require no explanation.

If he'd asked, say "What does it mean when it says play the notes of a chord separately?" then it might be forgivable because that's not immediately obvious to all who read the dictionary but we should not have to regurgitate the dictionary in the first place.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The basics section to me entails things like questions about technique and some basic music theory not the dictionary definitions of words, what words mean should not be answered here because the answers are elsewhere and would take less time to get from elsewhere and they basically require no explanation.
Sometimes Wiki or google won't give you the specific answer you're looking for, because other then shred, all the terms are musical terms not unique to guitar. So the specific technique used in guitar for legato is definitely different then a pianist. But when I read a post like, "How much is this guitar worth", my answer would be "google"

But back to the topic - So my definitions:
Shred: fast soloing/lead guitar with distortion/heavy-metal style 99.9% of the time.
Legato: In music it means playing smoothly. For guitarists it is playing multiple notes with the fretting hand without picking every note(ergo hammer-on and pull-off)
Arpeggio: Basically a chord, but with each chord tone played seperatly instead of in a strum. Also something popularized by shred players using sweep picking to get a unique sound. It is used extensively by violin players.
Staccato: literally "short" with guitar it's generally a note that is picked then immediatly muted so that the note does not sustain.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
Sometimes Wiki or google won't give you the specific answer you're looking for, because other then shred, all the terms are musical terms not unique to guitar. So the specific technique used in guitar for legato is definitely different then a pianist. But when I read a post like, "How much is this guitar worth", my answer would be "google"

That's as maybe but on the first page of search results from google using nothing but the word "legato" on it's own there are 2 video lessons on legato technique for guitar and one wikipedia page for the word definition.

"Arpeggio" on it's own produces 2 different sweep picking video lessons, 1 written lesson on the concept and one wikipedia definition.

"Staccato" is a bit more difficult and I will admit that you may need help with this one

And "Shred" on it own is a veritable wealth of knowledge including videos, wikipedia pages and lessons in various forms.

Google wins.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Google is your friend.

dude i did check on google.....they gave me really bad answers, and shred only came up as "ripping or tearing something" so i asked here.
Quote by Sixxology
dude i did check on google.....they gave me really bad answers, and shred only came up as "ripping or tearing something" so i asked here.

I don't know which google you're looking on, my results above were found in about 5 seconds per term...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.