I have a MIM strat, all single coils, and i want to put a floyd on it and put a stacked pickup in the bridge, but, today I saw an ESP MH-50 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-MH50-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo?sku=516688 but should i get that or mod my strat? my strat is relatively new, but i want to be able to get a VH type sound and be able to use a tremelo that doesn't some out of tune and have a humbucker sound. Which should i do?
EDIT: i saw on some site a while back that a floyd costs like $200, and that guitar is only $50 more, and da esp has a floyd on it, i play a bunch of different stuff, but i think i have all the guitars i can handle, so i dunno if my parents will lemme get a new one
DOUBLE EDIT: if i do mod my strat, can i split coil the humbucker so i can still get single coil tones?
Last edited by guitardude34875 at Feb 3, 2008,
Your strat is of better quality than the ESP. The esp is made of agathis which is a pretty bad slab of wood, also the floyd is licensed which is not know for its quality. You will get a pretty sweet tone putting a humbucker in your strat and a official floyd in it even though it would cost more it would sound bazilllliooonsss of times better
The MH-50 is crap. its built with poor quality hardware, the tremolo is really really really bad, Pickups aren't all good either.

Do not buy an LTD from the 50 series, they are poorly built. I have an LTD ex-50, and it's starting to disintegrate. My friend has the MH-100 and the tremolo broke after 2 months
Mod your Strat. Go to warmoth.com they sell Original Floyd Rose for $180 which is the cheapest I've seen. Stewmac is $70 more.
The neck would have to be prepared for a Floyd nut, depends where you go to get that done will = the cost. Shouldn't be too much just get it done right. Having the Floyd flush mounted shouldn't require any extra routing besides drilling for the 2 mounting screws. Just make sure the person who does it knows what he's doing in both preparing the neck and body to fit the Floyd to get it done right. You're better off modding the Strat. Better wood, better neck, you'll end up with the pickups you want and an Original Floyd as opposed to a cheap licensed one.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Mod your Strat. Go to warmoth.com they sell Original Floyd Rose for $180 which is the cheapest I've seen. Stewmac is $70 more.
The neck would have to be prepared for a Floyd nut, depends where you go to get that done will = the cost. Shouldn't be too much just get it done right. Having the Floyd flush mounted shouldn't require any extra routing besides drilling for the 2 mounting screws. Just make sure the person who does it knows what he's doing in both preparing the neck and body to fit the Floyd to get it done right. You're better off modding the Strat. Better wood, better neck, you'll end up with the pickups you want and an Original Floyd as opposed to a cheap licensed one.

I personally like the LTD neck, but the thing is they are poor quality. One of the frets on my LTD was peeling off :s But yeah Fender has a nice beefy neck
Well I was talking more in terms of quality, better built neck then the LTD and better wood in the body. Neck shapes are all personal preferences
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Well I was talking more in terms of quality, better built neck then the LTD and better wood in the body. Neck shapes are all personal preferences

I agree, but I would take a Fender neck over an esp neck any day. But I still like the LTD neck, Even though I can't even feel it.
Quote by guitardude34875
I have a MIM strat, all single coils, and i want to put a floyd on it and put a stacked pickup in the bridge, but, today I saw an ESP MH-50 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-MH50-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo?sku=516688 but should i get that or mod my strat? my strat is relatively new, but i want to be able to get a VH type sound and be able to use a tremelo that doesn't some out of tune and have a humbucker sound. Which should i do?
EDIT: i saw on some site a while back that a floyd costs like $200, and that guitar is only $50 more, and da esp has a floyd on it, i play a bunch of different stuff, but i think i have all the guitars i can handle, so i dunno if my parents will lemme get a new one
DOUBLE EDIT: if i do mod my strat, can i split coil the humbucker so i can still get single coil tones?

TBH, unless you're a pretty savvy woodworker, I'd hesitate to install a FR, whether OFR or LFR.

I'd definitely go with the PU upgrades. Coil-splitting the Humbucker is as easy as pie ... you just need a Push-Pull pot - click here.

Quote by Ippon
TBH, unless you're a pretty savvy woodworker, I'd hesitate to install a FR, whether OFR or LFR.

I'd definitely go with the PU upgrades. Coil-splitting the Humbucker is as easy as pie ... you just need a Push-Pull pot - click here.

im gonna get a guy to install the floyd for me, so thats takin care of
throw a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, those things can do ANYTHING, great for VH tones. Id leave the neck pickups the way they are for blusier stuff.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)