View poll results: What to do...
Distortion Pedal
1 7%
FX Loop installed
2 13%
Return + new amp
12 80%
Voters: 15.
Right so I bought the Rocker 30 and still can't decide whether I like it or not...!

It is just shy (gain wise) of where I want to be. With the gain on full and my TS9 on full it's still not chunky enough for me. I've cranked it and it's still not there.

I really do love the sound of it though, I just wish it was more versatile. I think I'm trying to push it where it can't go. The clean channel is awesome.

The other major thing is lack of an FX loop. I thought It'd be ok but I'm really missing my reverb now. Also my MXR 10 band is redundant.

I have 3 options...

1) If it's possible to get high gain sounds from just a pedal in the clean channel, I can still use my effects out infront of the amp and an FX loop won't matter. An uber distortion pedal?

2) Get an FX loop installed (no idea how much and who can even do it) and see if my MXR + TS9 can really get it where I want to be.

3) I have 5 days left to return it (so the GAK website says). I can start from scratch again, maybe something like a 5150 combo + attenuator.

This whole amp thing is really doing my nut in. I just wanna find something that I love because not only am I spending lots of money but also it's disheartening!

Thanks for the help...
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Well first of all, you probably shouldn't have bought a Rocker 30 if you wanted a hi-gain sound. A Rockerverb would've had more gain for this.

Secondly, using your TS-9 and EQ on the distortion channel doesn't give you enough gain?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I know FJA mods adds FX loops on the Rocker 30's. If you use a distortion pedal and reverb on the clean channel you shouldn't have a problem, I used to do that with a Delay before I got my G-Major. If it's not what you're looking for and you're willing to let the cleans suffer get the 5150. It kinda sucks when you save up for a great amp and it isn't what you're looking for.
Member of the vegetarian club

Arbor AF-100
Cheap Kona

Boss PH-2
Ibanez DC10
NYC Big Muff
Little Alligator
Peavey Rockmaster
TC G-Major
FCB1010
BBE 401 Maxie
Boss RC-20

70's Fender PA 100
Yeah I was all happy on Friday when I bought it, but now I'm feeling like crap.

The MXR doesn't work out infront of the amp it hisses really badly.

The thing is I have 5 days to decide. I either put my trust in this amp and buy a distortion pedal (that might not even do much) and install an FX loop (another £hundred?) or take it back while I have the chance and take a little more time.

What would this sound like: Clean Channel -> Distortion Pedal + EHX Holy Grail Reverb + TS9? Would it sound tight or just like a load of mush?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

It's a great amp, but maybe you should look to trade it in for an ENGL or something before it's too late. It's not a high gain amp, and installing an FX loop is a big expense for an amp that you're not entirely happy with.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I've always heard great things about the Rocker 30 but I tried it out a few weeks back and it sounded really thin, although the clean was great. Mabye it was just because I couldnt put the volume past 2 but it just didn't have that thick creamy distortion that I like.
Guitar:Gibson Les Paul Standard

Amp:Vox AC30

Everyone listen to MGMT
I've had someone recommend an ENGL Thunder. Seen one on the internet for £600. I'll have to check out some Youtube vids of it.

Not to bothered about sacrificing cleans, as I play it about 5% of the time. Usually when everyone's in bed

I wouldn't call the Orange thin. It really is a great amp, probably perfect for someone into 70's rock.

Would be nice if I could find a shop that had both Engl + the Peavey to try out but it aint gonna happen.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by Chex
I've had someone recommend an ENGL Thunder. Seen one on the internet for £600. I'll have to check out some Youtube vids of it.

Not to bothered about sacrificing cleans, as I play it about 5% of the time. Usually when everyone's in bed

I wouldn't call the Orange thin. It really is a great amp, probably perfect for someone into 70's rock.

Would be nice if I could find a shop that had both Engl + the Peavey to try out but it aint gonna happen.

Don't worry about the Peavey, just try the ENGL!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The Tiny Terror can handle metal with a booster and is crankable without bursting your eardrums. Check out youtube for some great samples.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Yeah same problem really. The guy in the GAK store said the tiny terror had less gain too :\

I need to try out a peavey and an Engl!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Take it back, putting a distorton pedal on the clean channel renders the amp's built in gain pointless...

And even if you change your mind and still want it, you wouldn't have lost any money.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah, return it.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Well that's pretty unanimous.

I get the feeling ENGL amps are more voiced to modern metal? I can't really find many clips of them around.

I'll look for some stores local to me that stock the 6505 because I really want to see if it's for me or not.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by Chex
Well that's pretty unanimous.

I get the feeling ENGL amps are more voiced to modern metal? I can't really find many clips of them around.

I'll look for some stores local to me that stock the 6505 because I really want to see if it's for me or not.

While the ENGL does modern metal very well, you could probably rip some Metalliriffs or some Maiden on it too.

You should go out and try the 6505, you might like it. I never really hit it off with it, I like my cleans!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
While the ENGL does modern metal very well, you could probably rip some Metalliriffs or some Maiden on it too.

You should go out and try the 6505, you might like it. I never really hit it off with it, I like my cleans!

Lol, I like my face-melting distortion and wylde like harmonics!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by Chex
Lol, I like my face-melting distortion and wylde like harmonics!

YUSH! That's what mah MG is for d00d. You should get it, it's crushing! (I really hope that was an MG reference, if it isn't I'll feel like an idiot. )

The 6505 is pretty face melting.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster