Which one?

Both would be used but I would need a cab for the Laney. Both have two independent footswitchable chanels but the Laney dosent have the Blues/Burn Clean/Crunch channel.

I know I dont need the 100 watt half stack but price wise its about the same.

I play a lot of every thing so versatility is a plus. I use a Gibson Les Pual Studio. I like both John Petrucci's and Mikel Akerfeldt's tone.

So With all that said... Which one?

EDIT: My budget is around 900$
Sig What?
Last edited by darth awsome at Feb 3, 2008,
The Express series can only get a heavier sounding classic rock distortion at most. The VH100R would be a much better choice (imo). I wasn't impressed with the Express series at all when I tried it. If all you're going to play is blues and classic rock, it'd be good, but anything more and you'll need pedals.

What's your budget?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
they are 2 really different sounding amps imho
but i prefer the laney

the express series was supposed to replace the f series of mesa amps, an the f series is way better than the express seires

i used to have an mesa F-50, but i traded it in for a laney and ill never turn back
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Express series can only get a heavier sounding classic rock distortion at most. The VH100R would be a much better choice (imo). I wasn't impressed with the Express series at all when I tried it. If all you're going to play is blues and classic rock, it'd be good, but anything more and you'll need pedals.

What's your budget?

I can't get a heavily distorted tone with my express and strat but it can play some pretty sweet solo and metal tones. It replaces the F series. I probably need a guitar with active humbuckers for it though...and I haven't tried that yet. If I absolutely needed to play some heavy distortion, I always got my Digitech.

It has 4 different modes which all sound pretty good and different. All tube reverb. Full contour knob, as opposed to a switch. The only thing that pisses me off is why they didn't make the blues and clean on the same channel and crunch+burn on the other. I think it's kinda retarded cuz why would you ever change from crunch to burn in one song? So why put it in different channels?

I pretty much play blues, classic rock, and a little bit of metal anyways and am very satisfied with my express. If this is what you play, than by all means. Haven't had much experience with laney though so can't tell you if that's good or not but I've heard of it's reputation.

If you like Petrucci, you should try the Lonestar.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
Last edited by omghi2u at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by STriNG-RaY
they are 2 really different sounding amps imho
but i prefer the laney

the express series was supposed to replace the f series of mesa amps, an the f series is way better than the express seires

i used to have an mesa F-50, but i traded it in for a laney and ill never turn back

I think it sounds better than the F series...and definitely more versatile. My friend had an F50 and that's what I originally wanted to buy but I went to GC and saw the new express...made up my mind after that.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
I can vouch for the Laney, since I own one. It's extremely versatile. It can do pretty much anything, albeit, the amp is a bit bright. It's a gain monster and has a brilliant clean channel.

Plus, if you don't like it, you can turn the Laney over for more than the Express.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^What would you reccomend? Im open to other suggestions as long as its all tube, has 2 independent footswitchable channels and fits my budget. Like I said versatility is a must but the band I play with is progressive rock/metal so the cleans are important.
Sig What?
For about a grand? And actually, after thinking about it, the Laney is probably not a bad choice either, but here are some other ideas to look at.

Amps I've heard good stuff about/played for your price:

Carvin V3
Ibanez Thermion (It's actually pretty good, though you never hear about them)
Mesa MK IV (I've seen them for $800 but it's rare)
Peavey JSX (used is in your range)
Randall MTS series (used also)
Laney VH100R