--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, I'm replacing my Roland Cube 15x.

I am looking for something with the following:

- basic channel controls.

For example:
volume, treble, mid, bass for each channel,

-Clean and Overdrive/Distortion channels (footswitchable),

-2 x 12" speakers,
-Solid State, (I would go tube but don't want to mess with replacing every few years.)
-30 - 100 Watts.

-Also no heavier than 40 or 50 pounds.

It should be able to handle classic-rock (60's-80's) and some metal, and folk, country, and jazz. Any genre really.

My price range is about $300-$500.

Do any of the brands listed below sound good?

Which our best for what I'm looking for?

-B-52
-Behringer
-Crate
-Fender, though I've heard they don't make 'em like they used to
-Kustom
-Marshall, same note as fender^.
-Peavey
-Vox
go tube.....theyre not expensive to replace generally, and u don't have to do it often!!!! what's the point of getting a crappy amp if u could get a great amp that requires some maintenance once in a while?
Quote by GNRjungle87
go tube.....theyre not expensive to replace generally, and u don't have to do it often!!!! what's the point of getting a crappy amp if u could get a great amp that requires some maintenance once in a while?

He speaks the truth.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
go tube. you get natural overdrive! they are fragile but the tone is worth it.
look at this way. you will want to go tube eventually, might as well save yourself some money and just get it now. plus it is easy to replace and the sound and power difference is light years different than solid state
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I bet you'd want to get rid of a solid state before you wanted to change tubes in a valve amp.
id go tube...youd blow the money on another solid state only to realize that the tone has no balls to it.
well, okay everything I stated before but with tube.

I am looking for something with the following:

- basic channel controls.

For example:
volume, treble, mid, bass for each channel,

-Clean and Overdrive/Distortion channels (footswitchable),

-2 x 12" speakers,
-TUBE!!!
-30 - 100 Watts.

-Also no heavier than 40 or 50 pounds.

It should be able to handle classic-rock (60's-80's) and some metal, and folk, country, and jazz. Any genre really.

My price range is about $300-$500.

Do any of the brands listed below sound good?

Which our best for what I'm looking for?

-B-52
-Behringer
-Crate
-Fender, though I've heard they don't make 'em like they used to
-Kustom
-Marshall, same note as fender^.
-Peavey
-Vox
Easier to get good tone from tubes. If you ever decide to break a tube amp(like smashing the insides), fixing it will be as easy as using super glue. If an SS is broken, you'd have to buy a new house, and leave the broken SS amp with your old house, 'cause no serious guitarist takes SS over tube.

So tube it is. Tube replacement isn't as hard as you think once you understand it.

EDIT: For that price, a Crate Palomino V32 + OD, or a Crate V50
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
Last edited by splat102 at Feb 3, 2008,