i may well have found the ultimate bass in the world.. ever..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Japan-Aerodyne-Jazz-Bass-AJB-66-Vintage-White_W0QQitemZ330207400013QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
ohh thats a long link.
anyway. i looked aerodyne jazz bass up on the fender website an it says they only come in black. however looking at that white one.. i want it.
does anyone know a shop or anything that does them in olympic white? or even if they do it in olympic white at all. but i know they do.. coz its there!
whats going on!!!!!!

however i dont have £450 spare.. will do soon.
They look awesome, but I tried one out once and it wasnt horribble, it had a really nice feel to it, but there was no beef too the sound because of it's thiness and lack of a lot of wood.

Highly reccomend a Thunderbird instead, style and awesome sound in one, and in white!
I highly recommend anything BUT a Thunderbird. They're bulky, awkward to hold, and give a pretty muddy sound on EVERY one I've played.

The Aerodyne is alright. It depends on what you're looking for in terms of the sound; the split pickup in the middle will give it a somewhat fatter sound, but the bridge Jazz one will keep a remnant of the classic Jazz tone. They're not bad from what I've played, but I liked the Jazz sound better. Personal thing.

edit: is something up with the split pickup? Looks dirty or something.
Last edited by Pink Muse at Feb 3, 2008,
never EVER put me through the hell of a Tbird again.
im still trying to get rid of the epiphone thunderbird my dad spent my money on for me...
I guess it's down to personal preference, it's not most vertasile of bass's (TBird), but I just can't put it down. A standard Jazz would be better, as that IMO is the best bass fender make, or if you're still looking for exclusivity, go for the Jaguar as their quite nice as well.
Wow... someone actually RECOMENDED a TBird???
Dunno about this jazz, but I sure as hell like jazzes over Tbirds by far...
Quote by markodeano1
They look awesome, but I tried one out once and it wasnt horribble, it had a really nice feel to it, but there was no beef too the sound because of it's thiness and lack of a lot of wood.

Highly reccomend a Thunderbird instead, style and awesome sound in one, and in white!

...and another can of gasoline is poured onto the fire...
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
I was incredibly shocked to find out that Kings Of Leon's bassist uses a TBird (I saw the Video to On Call last night). Granted his tone is pretty muddy, but it's MASSIVE, and I actually like it! I'd imagine that the type of player who'd require that tone wouldn't need the upper fret access anyway.

Still, not the bass for me, far from it.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Aerodynes are made of Basswood, and it's a very tonally neutral (and potentially cheap) wood that really explains a previous comment about the bass' tone. Oh, and there is indeed not a lot of wood, too.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'm not sure that's a Fender Aerodyne. The Jazz Aerodyne has one look to it. That's not an Aerodyne.

Regardless, the Aerodyne is an awesome bass. I've played one and it felt very nice. It didn't have enough beef for me, but it may have just been the strings.

Yeah, just looked it up on GC.com and the Fender website, that's not an Aerodyne. Be really cautious of people who have a lot of the same type of bass on eBay, they're usually counterfeiters.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I have a MIM Aerodyne, and I absolutely love it. It's a very different styling though.
The new Chevelle bassist uses a T-Bird too. Why, WHY? Oh well, he gets the appropriate tone for their stuff.

I really love the looks of the Aerodyne. I've only played one for about 5 minutes, and only one song(Californication), but what I heard of it was clear and really nice. But to be honest, I liked the sound of the MIM Jazz more. Beefy-er is the only way I can think of to explain it. And it's less expensive.

I thought Aerodyne's only came in that black with white trim. I'd be really cautious.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

cream trim.
The japanese ones are just a standard Jazz with a slimmer body and a precision single coil in the middle.
Forgive me, I have man eyes. Cream falls under white, just like burgundy falls under red, turquoise falls under blue, etc.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by t3hrav3n
I'm not sure that's a Fender Aerodyne. The Jazz Aerodyne has one look to it. That's not an Aerodyne.

Regardless, the Aerodyne is an awesome bass. I've played one and it felt very nice. It didn't have enough beef for me, but it may have just been the strings.

Yeah, just looked it up on GC.com and the Fender website, that's not an Aerodyne. Be really cautious of people who have a lot of the same type of bass on eBay, they're usually counterfeiters.

No, that's a real Aerodyne bass. It's just the MIJ version, where they actually have a choice on colours for the damn things.

I personally don't mind the Aerodyne, but I think it's a bit expensive for what is essentially a standard Jazz Bass with a split coil in the neck position.
Quote by terb
Hehe, now that I think about it. I think I played an Aerodyne when I first started play bass. never got to plug it in though. The new MiM Aerodynes don't come in either black nor cream (read white):
http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0254507570

That's a different bass again - that's the MIJ Classic Aerodyne P. They've been making them for a while but I don't think they've been available in the US for long.
Before you buy the japanese version, just thing that you will not be able to play it before you buy it. Since none of us know, it MIGHT actually be crap. I think it's just a good rule to play before you buy, that way you know what you're getting.

EDIT: Wow, I'm an idiot. I just checked my bass and realized it's a japanese one too.
Mega fail.
Last edited by Mecler at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by Mecler
EDIT: Wow, I'm an idiot. I just checked my bass and realized it's a japanese one too.
Mega fail.

Haha nicely done. I've never played a MIJ Fender I didn't want to buy, and I've tried plenty. I definitely prefer the Aerodyne Classic P to the MIA standard P.
ahhh..
i did think about gettin a white jaxx bass standard.
but i like the look of the aerodyne more...
i think ill get a non jappo one.
ie black.. looks a lot more serious..
it sounds great! i thinks theres some samples on morrellmusic.com or something.
Aren't they all CIJ? All Aerodynes?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by smb
That's a different bass again - that's the MIJ Classic Aerodyne P. They've been making them for a while but I don't think they've been available in the US for long.

wow, i didn't even realize there were two diff basses... I was wondering why I coun't find the black one
Whats with all the Thunderbird bashing - they look fucking awesome and they sound amazing.

OHHHH, I CAN'T ACCESS THE UPPER FRETS - YOU'RE NOT GUITARISTS, AND IT'S ONLY THREE NOTES!

And as for this guy

Quote by Mecler
I have a MIM Aerodyne, and I absolutely love it. It's a very different styling though.

Bet you didn't play it before you bought it, but then you force yourself to like it when you get it so you don't think you've wasted your money.

Being different isn't cool, theres a difference.
Quote by markodeano1

Bet you didn't play it before you bought it, but then you force yourself to like it when you get it so you don't think you've wasted your money.

Being different isn't cool, theres a difference.

Where did that come from? Really, that was unnecessary.

I've played several Aerodynes, all of which were fantastic basses. Really...there's no justification behind your comment.
Quote by markodeano1

OHHHH, I CAN'T ACCESS THE UPPER FRETS - YOU'RE NOT GUITARISTS, AND IT'S ONLY THREE NOTES!

That's ridiculous though. Why design something in a way that you can't use it properly?
Quote by denizenz
Cute in English is the same as grim and frostbitten in Nordic.

Gear:
Washburn T14 B
Laney RB-1
Right, because I would spend 600 dollars on something that I've never used before. I bought that one at guitar center after jamming on it for two hours. I tried all sorts of different basses, and that one just felt like the best fit for me.

Enjoy your thunderbird though, asshole.
And how is buying a Fender Jazz trying to be different? They're only the most common basses ever!

If he thinks his Epi T-bird compares to a MIJ Fender then as long as he's happy...
Quote by markodeano1

Yeah, you're only losing 3 frets. Hell, Warwicks lose about 3 frets. However, WHICH FRETS they are losing is different - the Thunderbird is losing frets 18, 19, 20, whereas the contoured Warwick neck joint limits access to 22, 23, 24. Even then, there's a horn, not something that's sticking in your way, actually impeding you if you do decide to "be a guitarist."

A bass design should work properly. If you're going to have 20 frets, make all 20 frets possible. Make it comfortable. Just don't plunk a long neck on a guitar body and call it a day. Gibson is small-potatoes in the bass world for a reason.

And about them sounding amazing and looking good - that's subjective. Keep in mind that there are fans of Gwen Stefani in existance.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
They're not even that hard to access, I can play "Sir Duke" just as well as any other bassist!
How is the Aerodyne P bass? I've never seen one around where i am but i have always wanted to see what they are like.
Quote by markodeano1
They're not even that hard to access, I can play "Sir Duke" just as well as any other bassist!

Start your own thread about how much you think T-bird rock. Get out of the Aerodyne section.
Quote by markodeano1

If you had some solid left hand fretting technique you'd find those frets requiring a rather significant change in hand position to hit. However, if you have that guitarist thumb-over-the-figerboard/never-in-tune-on-fretless hand position, it's just fine.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Man, I've never seen a Lake Placid Blue one like that. Cool. Although the CAR one looks really neat as well.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I think it's a sexy bass, but for sheer tone, you can get more for less. I wouldn't cry if someone gave me one, at any rate.

Quote by Charlatan_001
No, that's a real Aerodyne bass. It's just the MIJ version, where they actually have a choice on colours for the damn things.

Ah, okay, I wasn't aware, thanks for telling me. I actually like the colors for the Aerodyne I was thinking of.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Feb 6, 2008,