I got a tony iommi pickup off ebay for $75, I'm planning on putting it in my epiphone LP. My question is, what should I go with for a companion to this?

I have no aversion to putting this pickup in either the neck or bridge, I just want a good match. I'm assuming this one would go best in the neck, so I'd like a heavier 'rhythm'-ier pickup for the bridge with perhaps a little more ability to play cleans.

I'm going for a kind of dirty, loud neoclassical sound. I play through a Marshall 100w JCM-900.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Try a Dimarzio Fred in the neck. I had that in my old Epiphone and it was great.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
So put the iommi in the bridge then? I was thinking that would be the one to go in the neck.

Also, I'd rather stick with a gibson pickup, I know many will say there are better aftermarket ones, but I'd rather stick with gibson.

Anyone got any other suggestions? Only thing I'm opposed to is burstbuckers, I just don't like how they sound.

Looking for something with comparable sound to the iommi but with a heavier/bassier sound for rhythm and will sound decent on cleans (as I suspect the iommi won't do too well with them.)
Quote by placeboeffect81
So put the iommi in the bridge then? I was thinking that would be the one to go in the neck.

Also, I'd rather stick with a gibson pickup, I know many will say there are better aftermarket ones, but I'd rather stick with gibson.

Anyone got any other suggestions? Only thing I'm opposed to is burstbuckers, I just don't like how they sound.

Looking for something with comparable sound to the iommi but with a heavier/bassier sound for rhythm and will sound decent on cleans (as I suspect the iommi won't do too well with them.)

Well I find the Iommi too muddy in the neck and too bright in the bridge. I prefer it in the bridge though. If you want to stick Gibson pickups, try the '57 in the neck. I've never had problems with it. If you want nothing to do with the Iommi, I recommend a Dirty Fingers in the bridge and a '57 Classic in the neck if you don't like Burstbuckers.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've heard Burstbucker 2's and 3's and was not a fan, are the pro's better? If so I'd consider them after a listen. Otherwise maybe a DiMarzio would be a better fit, the only reason I'd like to stay with Gibsons is that I can easily go down to the local Guitar Center and find a guitar that has them in it.

Basically I'd like a nasty output pickup for leads and a rhythm pickup which can go from nasty to clean when needed.

If you think the dirty fingers is better, maybe I'll look into it and sell the iommi.

Seeing as how you have a lot of pickup experience and this is my first time changing out mine, what are your opinions on the following:

496r/500t gibsons

81/85 zakk wylde EMG's

(I'm looking into also making a 'metal' LP)

Thanks a ton for the input, I don't want to go through all this and then hate my sound!
Anyone else have any recommendations?

Cliff notes:

Upgrading my pickups in my Epi LP for a raw hard rock sound. What should I put in the neck for good cleans and raw rhythm to go with a tony iommi sig in the bridge?

What should I put in my 'metal' black Gibson LP: 498r/500t or EMG 81/85 ZW?
So I finished putting in my iommi in the neck and a dirty fingers in the bridge on my epiphone studio, it sounds great!

The iommi is a tad muddy in the neck, but I'm surprised at how good it sounds on cleans! It has a very deep bassy sound, but still quite clear for such a high output pickup. I've only played through my Fender SS amp, hopefully everything will sound 2x as good through my tube Marshall!

The dirty fingers is awesome for lead, but sucks on cleans as expected.

BTW, anyone who says Gibson pickups are too expensive, I spent $75 on the iommi and $65 on the dirty fingers, both shipped to my door.

I may change the neck out for a '57 classic plus in the future, but for now i am quite happy.

Oh, and I must admit that the epiphone pickups that came in the 'studio' were surprisingly good. I was half expecting to find upgraded pickups when I pulled them and was actually surprised that they were the originals. If anyone wants a cheap decent pickup I'd suggest the bridge epiphone (which was labeled 'HOTCH'), they are vacuum wax potted just like the gibsons. The standard neck pickup (labeled '57') was ehh..

Now what should I put in my black Gibson LP Custom for a good metal sound: EMG 81/85's or Gibson 498R/500T Ceramics?
I'd be inclined to say neither - Duncan Custom/59 set.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
So I played through the tube marshall tonight with friends, the dirty fingers pickup absolutely screams! The Iommi sounded absolutely horrible, extremely muddy and muffled. I think I will be replacing it soon with a '57 classic plus.

Or does anybody have a good suggestion for a bridge pickup that sounds great clean and has a rich full tone that would sound mean for tube distorted rhythm?

Oh, I've decided that I will be using the zakk wylde EMG's in the les paul, I currently have a mostly bare guitar and will be installing the bridge, tail stop, tuners, and miscallaneous stuff. What's the best place to buy that kind of stuff, I've been looking at Warmoth.com and Guitarelectronics.com. I'll probably be using the tonepros locking stuff, what's a good recommended tuning machine?

Thanks for the help!
Best not to use EMGs. Frankly i think they sound like garbage. Dimarzios would be one of your best bets. Maybe Burstbucker Pros.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab