Hey i'm looking to write songs on guitar like comeback kid or ruiner, but I don't know where to start. I don't know what scales to use or anything. So any help will be appreciated! Thanks.
try putting chords together and really any scale would be fine for solos

example

Am Pentatonic, Chromatic, Blues scales - just look them up.

other try putting in some hammer ons and pulls, tremelo picking, harmonics, slides, ect
Quote by Sixxology
try putting chords together and really any scale would be fine for solos

example

Am Pentatonic, Chromatic, Blues scales - just look them up.

other try putting in some hammer ons and pulls, tremelo picking, harmonics, slides, ect

Your retarded...you dont use the chromatic scale for soloing, the chromatic is just every note on the fret board.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
Your retarded...you dont use the chromatic scale for soloing, the chromatic is just every note on the fret board.

woops my mistake
Click things in my sig until you get to a link that says "Music Theory: The Beginning." The "Melodic Control" video is good, but it may be a bit advanced for you right now.
Quote by Sixxology
woops my mistake

lmao

why would people come on here and try to give advice when they have no clue what they're talking about.

reminds me of the guy that told the threadstarter GMinor was the relative minor of Emajor, completly confusing the guy who had a question
Quote by HLrocker

You can if you want depending on the sound you're going for.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Yeah HL rocker don't be an abrasive noob. It's quite possible to solo using a chromatic scale. It's quite a bit more difficult than making something sound good in a major scale since you have more choice, but I've heard it done (well).
Technicly, using the chromatic scale to solo, is just picking random notes, just they made a scale for it so people who dont know scales feel important....and I wasn't being 'an abrasive noob', I was just pointing somthing out a bit crueler then you might have chosen too.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
you dont use the chromatic scale for soloing

Somebody forgot to tell that to...basically every jazz and progressive musician on the planet. Someone better go tell them that they're doing it wrong.

Technicly, using the chromatic scale to solo, is just picking random notes

No, it really isn't. I use chromatic notes all the time, and I'm most certainly not selecting them randomly.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by standstrong
Hey i'm looking to write songs on guitar like comeback kid or ruiner, but I don't know where to start. I don't know what scales to use or anything. So any help will be appreciated! Thanks.

Learn those songs.... learn what scales they use.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by HLrocker

so that means you cant solo with it? not true, you can and people do.

to the TS. if you want to write in a similar fashion to a particular song or band... you need to spend some time playing their music 1st. learn about what they are doing. Then you wont have to ask here and get a bunch of random answers. You want a specific sound..... learn the music, then you'll know.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by HLrocker

Obviously Korsakav was a retard....