I already play two instruments, the trumpet and baritone. But I'm dissatisfied with these whenever I'm not in a band scenario, and I want to learn an instrument I can enjoy solo as well as in an organized group. (As I like to play to relax, and brass instruments aren't very relaxing.)

I know I want to play some guitar derivative, and I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this, but what are the pro/cons for the various string instruments this forum represents?
The guitar is much more versatile (though it can't do a lot of what the bass does), and is arguably a more widely accepted instrument to play on its own.
Well, in my opinion, the guitar is more relaxing and expressive than the bass, and although there are plenty of great bassists that squeeze every bit of potential out of their instrument (Les Claypool, Geddy Lee, Flea, John Entwistle) you will be looked down upon by other musicians, unfortunately...The bass is extremely important to any rock band but you will probably find guitar more fulfilling.
If you're not in a band then you should probably go for the guitar. There is usually a lot higher demand for bassists than guitarists when joining bands. I think the transition from guitar to bass is easier.
Go for guitar, it will get you on the right track quick, then i fyou want to learn bass, you can.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Go for Bass. I wish I went for Bass instead of Guitar, it looks a lot funner.
Quote by TheHatheist
I want to learn an instrument I can enjoy solo as well as in an organized group. (As I like to play to relax, and brass instruments aren't very relaxing.)

I know I want to play some guitar derivative, and I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this, but what are the pro/cons for the various string instruments this forum represents?

You've got a wide variety of stuff:
Mandolins
Banjos
Guitar and all the whoopy-doo (Pedal-Steel Guitar, Steel String Acoustic, Spanish/Classic Acoustic, and Electric.) All have a different feel and sound to it.
Basses (4-string up to as many strings as you want almost, electric basses, acoustic basses, the huge bass which name I only remember in Finnish at the moment.)

It's more of what you want the sound to be.
What sound do you want? Go and try some instruments and listen to the tones.

Also note, bands are rarely an organized group.
Well, basses are extremely expressive instruments. It is simply a matter of which range you prefer. I'm more a bass man myself, and I love grooving around on the lower strings. Hell, I even wwnt 5 string with a low B so I could get even lower.

Though both guitar and bass can do pretty much everything the other can technique wise (both can tap, slap, sweep etc it's just a bit harder on on or the other), they play completely differently. Go with the one you like the sound of more.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Well, basses are extremely expressive instruments. It is simply a matter of which range you prefer. I'm more a bass man myself, and I love grooving around on the lower strings. Hell, I even wwnt 5 string with a low B so I could get even lower.

Though both guitar and bass can do pretty much everything the other can technique wise (both can tap, slap, sweep etc it's just a bit harder on on or the other), they play completely differently. Go with the one you like the sound of more.

dude i definitely agree w/ this dude but i dicked around w/ my friends bass for a few weeks and i could see a big improvement in my guitar playing, so i would go w/ the one that sounds better to you, but in my opinion the transition b/w bass to guitar would be much easier
Go with the bass, it's easier to learn. Besides, everybody plays guitar these days, whether they really suck or not.
Get the bass. You'll be much more widely needed, since there's so many guitarists, and Bassists generally do better overall when switching to guitar, versus the opposite. On bass, you have to really learn how to stretch your fingers out along long distances to hit some basslines, so you'll have no problem jumping around on the guitar's fretboard.

The only problem would be getting used to playing with 2 more strings than normal on guitar. IMO, the easiest transition would be Bass-Rhythm Guitar-Lead Guitar, whereas for guitar you could just jump straight to bass.

Regardless, I still think bass is the way to go. Bassists get more poon anyways
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Start out with acoutstic guitar. Doesn't have to be expensive, and will build your finger strength and dexterity quicker (from what I've heard, I started on electric).

After that, you can decide which route you want to take. If you like to groove and don't mind being in the shadows, definitely bass. If you like to be in the spotlight soloing every song, then definitely electric guitar. If neither, then rythym guitar. Though that's if you like the stringed section.

If you really want to get in a band, than go with bass. I'm kind of regretting that I didn't start off with bass, because bands are always looking for bassists instead of guitarists. I just want to jam and I don't have anybody to jam with.
"I've been visiting a psychiatrist for some time now. He plays mind games. He asks things like 'do you masturbate'? and I say 'do you breathe?'."
Ozzy - 1975
Well, I started to play acoustic guitar. From that I chossed what instrument to get, and I chose the bass. Now, at the time my friend had invited me to join his band on bassguitar so I thought that why not. Now, 1 year later I learn that guitarists (friend in particular) look down at bassplayers and my band is a boring " bass in the shadows always"-band, with guitars all over. Getting a band with it that gets you to fully use it's capabilities might be hard.

I mean, guitar is a nice instrument, but if played complex bass is just as hard/easy as guitar. Sooooooo many people who play guitar or other instrument thinks that bass is just a root-note instrument, the easiest in the world. If you want to go by those people you just need to get really good at bass and be able to show them what you can do without a band backing you up.

I have learned to love the bass, I love the deep grooving sound you do with it. But as I said, most "standard" rock bands don't think of it as anything special, which is a shame. If you want to have spotlight and absolutely need to boost you ego with solos all over then the guitar is for you.
Quote by Hair Banger!
Go with the bass, it's easier to learn. Besides, everybody plays guitar these days, whether they really suck or not.

Have you ever tried to play anything much past root note lines, or simply riffs? I can play power chord progressions and such with no problem at all. You are a fool if you think bass is easier. Sure it's easier to play the very bare minimum, but it is quite a bit harder to write a good bass riff compared to a guitar riff. Also, playing bass at high speeds is much harder, especially if you play fingerstyle. Even then, people like Steve DiGiorgio can match the guitarists, and outpace many other guitarists.

It's like trying to compare a cello to a violin. One is clearly going to have more flashy and prominent parts than the other. That does not make one easier than the other at all.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Have you ever tried to play anything much past root note lines, or simply riffs? I can play power chord progressions and such with no problem at all. You are a fool if you think bass is easier. Sure it's easier to play the very bare minimum, but it is quite a bit harder to write a good bass riff compared to a guitar riff. Also, playing bass at high speeds is much harder, especially if you play fingerstyle. Even then, people like Steve DiGiorgio can match the guitarists, and outpace many other guitarists.

It's like trying to compare a cello to a violin. One is clearly going to have more flashy and prominent parts than the other. That does not make one easier than the other at all.

On the bass, it's mainly just notes, and it'd be easier for a beginner to learn that. I didn't mean any offense, as far as learning the riffs and stuff. Besides, that can always come later, and there's usually easier ways to play riffs than stretching your fingers out of whack.
Quote by Hair Banger!
On the bass, it's mainly just notes, and it'd be easier for a beginner to learn that. I didn't mean any offense, as far as learning the riffs and stuff. Besides, that can always come later, and there's usually easier ways to play riffs than stretching your fingers out of whack.

You hath never actually "PLAYED" a bass.
Here is where comes the difference between instruments.
Stretching fingers out of whack is the point of bass, there's no way to avoid that.
I play both...

I find the transition from guitar to bass would be easier then from bass to guitar, but that's just me.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
yo instead of guitar or bass try all the instruments you possibly can and then decide what you want to play
Quote by metal_kid666
yo instead of guitar or bass try all the instruments you possibly can and then decide what you want to play

yeah, thats what i should have done. you should go to a store and just mess around with different basses and guitars, and decide on the one you have a better 'connection' with. Im thinking about learning to play bass too, because there are about 400 guitarists at my school, and 4 bassists, so there is a lot of demand for bassists
ALL HAIL DETHKLOK UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!
Quote by TooFast
I'd drag my dick through a mile of glass just to hear her fart through a walkie-talkie.

Add Me on myspace
http://www.myspace.com/allannoe