I'm guessing this is really basic, but I was wondering what exactly this means, and how to accomplish it.

The song Im trying to learn requires me to tune my guitar like this but I have no idea how, so could someone please explain to me how to do this.

Thanks
If you have a tuner, hold the 2nd fret on the E string and tune it to E
To see if its in tune hold the 7th fret on the E string and plcuk the E + A string to see if they sound the same
hope this helps
Well....standard tuning from low to high goes EADGBE. Drop D tuning requires you to drop your low E string (highest string vertically on your guitar) to a D. Your tuning will then be DADGBE, instead of EADGBE. Many people call this tuning "cheating", but I see nothing wrong with it. What song are you learning?
DRop D tuning means that the Low E string should be Detuned TO A D...in other words loosen the string until the LOW 6th string Sound empty same as the 4th string empty

Or u can Make sure if its tuned to D : U PLay the 7th fret on ur 6th string and the sound should match the Empty 5th string
THATS IT
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
Well....standard tuning from low to high goes EADGBE. Drop D tuning requires you to drop your low E string (highest string vertically on your guitar) to a D. Your tuning will then be DADGBE, instead of EADGBE. Many people call this tuning "cheating", but I see nothing wrong with it. What song are you learning?

i agree...there's nothing wrong with it...the only thing it makes easier is power chords....and those are easy enough in standard tuning anyways
Haha the song is prayer of the refugee, I don't like the band much, but the song sounds relatively easy. At the moment I cant play any full songs, I always get stuck at the solos (3's and 7's I'm stuck on the second solo and Iron man I cant do the whole solo) so I wanted to learn at least one song which I could play through completely.

Thanks forthe help much appreciated.
you can't play power chords like this
-----------
-----------
-----------
-5----------
-5--------
-3---------

you play em' like this in Drop D
--------------
--------------
--------------
-3------------
-3------------
-3------------
Colors by Between the Buried and Me is the Best album ever
Quote by homstar670
you can't play power chords like this
-----------
-----------
-----------
-5----------
-5--------
-3---------

you play em' like this in Drop D
--------------
--------------
--------------
-5------------
-5------------
-5------------

Fixed.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Aftee
Theres a whole thread that explains all tuning stickied at the top o.o

Sorry didn't notice.

Alright I think I've done it someone said that when you play the 7th fret on the E strig it should sound like the open A string, thats what I've done, so am i good to go?
I'd check the stickied thread, explains a ton of tunings methods, and how to tune back to standard from each one. Follow that and you'll be good I guess, can try out some drop D songs to see if it sounds right. I know disturbed plays in drop D a lot I think, and I think breaking benjamin has some in drop C.