Me and my two friends were jamming this past weekend.

we decided to start a band, even though we're all not that great.
Anywho..

I've only played for about three months, and we made a song and this is the intro riff.

You only use the last two strings on the is riff so I'll only use two lines

E---7-7----77-----7------77---7----7-----77-----77----7-
A--------9-------9----9-------8----8---8--------7------7---7

Palm mute all the notes played on the E string, play at about the pace you play it is about the pace of sweet child o mine. Repeat this three times, on the second time around, this is the riff.

E---7-7----77-----7------77---7----7--------77-----77----7-----77------77----7----
A--------9-------9----9-------8----8---8--------------------------------7-------7-----7---
D-----------------------------------------------------7------7-----7-------------------------

The whole song is based around the pattern of this riff, just mixed up in a few different ways, I would type the other riffs but their are about five in the song and I don't feel like it, haha.

So yeah, for a guitarist of three months, what do you guys think of this riff?

And while I'm making this I'm gonna go ahead and ask

After about a total of maybe 6 or 7 hours of playing within the past day, my wrist started to hurt(picking hand, and my fret hand after a while, but the fret hand went away really soon). And after my picking wrist started hurting, my riffs started to become sloppy, and the on riff I considered the easiest, I couldn't do it all. My mind would be doing one thing but my hand would hesitate, etc.

Is this normal for a beginner?
Last edited by Coheed777 at Feb 3, 2008,
Its a really simple riff. I remember when I was at your level making riffs like that and thought they were the coolest thing ever haha.

Once you start getting better at guitar, so will your song writing.

Also, if your hand hurts, take a break for awhile.
Quote by The Spoon
Its a really simple riff. I remember when I was at your level making riffs like that and thought they were the coolest thing ever haha.

Once you start getting better at guitar, so will your song writing.

Also, if your hand hurts, take a break for awhile.

Haha, i know I'm not great, but I like to think I'm decent for three months. and your write, I do think the riffs the coolest think ever, heh.