After about a total of maybe 6 or 7 hours of playing within the past day, my wrist started to hurt(picking hand, and my fret hand after a while, but the fret hand went away really soon). And after my picking wrist started hurting, my riffs started to become sloppy, and the on riff I considered the easiest, I couldn't do it all. My mind would be doing one thing but my hand would hesitate, etc.

Is this normal for a beginner?
yes. you haven't built up the stamina plus concentration wavers after a while.

you could have tension in your wrist if you're picking technique is incorrect which can cause pain and injuries.

ask in the guitar&bass basics forum for more beginners advice.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
yes. you haven't built up the stamina plus concentration wavers after a while.

you could have tension in your wrist if you're picking technique is incorrect which can cause pain and injuries.

ask in the guitar&bass basics forum for more beginners advice.

My technique is fine, at least I think.

My wrist is straight for the most part, not at an awkward angle, my teacher has never commented on it, etc. I'll be sure to ask my teacher about it though.

Yeah I don't plan to touch my guitar till Tuesday or maybe tomarrow night, depends,
I'm giving it a rest. I might do some freehand scales tomarrow but no palm muting or anything, etc.
you could still have tension if you're gripping the pick too tightly or anchoring your hand/arm on the guitars body.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
you could still have tension if you're gripping the pick too tightly or anchoring your hand/arm on the guitars body.

Well, I anchor my palm on the bridge when picking riffs and such, or speed picking.

My elbow rests around the corner/where the guitar "curves".
Rest should do the trick. Don't be tempted to play if you still have pain cos you could strain your wrist and be out of action for a week maybe more. I've done it before, it's not worth it.
Quote by subopolois
you lazy cheap bastard

Gear:
ESP LTD M-50
Marshall G80RCD
Boss ME-50
Ernie Ball STHB

Kill Crazy of the Red Dwarf Smeg Heads!
my picking hand has never had issues
but I don't do it the way your "supposed to"

but for a while there I was putting in 4-5 hours a day and my fretting hand kept going numb
I still wouldn't quit and pretty soon my hand went numb when I was doing everyday things
one time I reached for my seatbelt and my hand stayed numb for hours and hurt when it wasn't numb
it was like it fell asleep for hours on end... pretty gay..
there's a difference between resting your hand on the bridge and anchoring on the bridge.

Does your hand move when you change strings or does the part that's touching it stay in the same place but your fingers move/you change the angle of your hand?

if it's the latter then you're anchoring which can cause tension.

Quote by element4433
Well if it matters, when I was 7(almost 14 now) I fractured my wrist.(Picking hand)

Not serious, no surgery, healed in about 4-5 weeks, never had a problem with it.

I've broken falls, played contact football, etc. with no problems, but could that effect it?

To the post above.

I don't move my wrist off the bridge, maybe a little up or down, cause when I have my hand on the bridge I'm usall playing the strings E A and D. If i need to move down the higher strings, I'll move my wrist lower down the bridge.

What does "latter" mean? (lol stupid question probably I know)
So, am I anchoring or resting from what it sounds like?
Last edited by Coheed777 at Feb 3, 2008,
latter means the last of the options. former means the first.

if your wrist moves around then you're probably not anchoring but you could be anchoring, moving then anchoring again if you know what I mean.

If you want more advice either search for 'anchoring' or make a thread in guitar & bass basics there'll be more people who can help you there as that's the right place for this type of question.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
latter means the last of the options. former means the first.

if your wrist moves around then you're probably not anchoring but you could be anchoring, moving then anchoring again if you know what I mean.

If you want more advice either search for 'anchoring' or make a thread in guitar & bass basics there'll be more people who can help you there as that's the right place for this type of question.

Ok, thanks man.

I will ask my teacher about this, but me and my friends will probably abuse our guitars and drums on firday and I don't wanta get the pain the day before lessons.

I'll go make the thread in basics, hopefully I'm not "overposting" or anything.