After a bit of searching I found a used JCM900 50 Watt combo for $450 dollars. How will this work for Metal? Im looking for sharp, lush distortion, similar to the distortion here. How will it stack up next to the Valveking for Metal?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Get a peavey 5150 for there tone and i think the valveking would be closer i have the head and it does metal imo the vavleking with new tubes would be better for that kinda tone ,never used a jcm900 but you would need a eq and some active pickups to get close to that and mabey a clean boost or overdrive
No used 5150s on local craigslist and eBay (Canada). =(
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Which JCM900 is it? Theres alot of models, the 2100 MkIII, the SL-X, the 4100 Dual channel/reverb, and a few others I think. Anyway, anyone of them should work fine for metal, its what they were made for.

It does depend a little bit on the metal you play, and which amp model though. About 2 weeks ago I bought the 50/100 watt 2100 MkIII, and it's pretty good for the medal I play, which is alot of Randy Rhoads/early Metallica/Motorhead type stuff. Anything that requires more gain though, you might want to put a distortion pedal in front of it. Thats judging just by the 2100 MkIII though, I've never played any of the other models.

The SLX and 4100 have more gain than any of the 2100s. Thing is though, alot of it is solid state gain, so you prabobly wont get a tube-like tone when you have the gain really high up. The 4100's got 2 channels and reverb though, so that might make a factor in your decision. What I like about my 2100 MkIII is that it sounds REALLY REALLY similar to the old JCM800's, except its got more gain built in the amp, which makes it great for metal. Back in those days, everyone was modding their JCM800's to have more gain, and the first issues of JCM900's were pretty much meant to be issued for sale as a modded, higher gain JCM800.

Tell me what model amp it is, and what type of metal youre going to be playing, and I can help you a little more after that.

****, sorry, I didnt even realize the link you had in your first post. I dont know if the 2100 MkIII could do that type of metal stock, but it could do it with an OD or a Distortion pedal without a doubt. I'm not sure if the other JCM900 models could do it stock, I dont really have any experience with them.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
Last edited by LastCaress88 at Feb 3, 2008,
All he says is JCM900 50 Watt combo with reverb and included footswitch, reverb, and recently biased tubes.

So would the ValveKing 112 probably be a better choice for metal?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Last edited by mike.h at Feb 3, 2008,
Yeah, then it's a 4100. Like I said, those have more gain than the 2100 MkIII, but its not all tube sounding. I know that with that model, they use solid state gain to put it over the top, so if you're looking for a total tube tone, then You might not be totally satisfied with that. Theres alternatives though, you could buy a tube screamer pedal or something, or you could even find that you like the tone from the 4100.

I saw that you said it was from craigs list. How local is it? If its not too far and you can drive there or get a ride, try to test it out before you buy it. The person selling it shouldnt have a problem with you doing it, and it gives you a chance to buy it confidently cause you'd have heard it.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Oh, solid state gain. Me no like =(. I guess I'll stick with my plan to get a ValveKing + EQ. He supposedly lives very close to me so I might eventually try it out anyways. Thanks, you were very helpful =)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Well I have the JCM900 4102. And with some fiddling around it can reach that kind of sound (there is a thread somewhere rating marshalls in all manner of things and the dual reverb was the most versatile according to that). Personally I don't hear anything solid state about it LastCaress88. But then again maybe that is just the head version or something, I know my combo doesn't sound solid state (to me at least). An OD on top couldn't hurt aswell though really.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I recorded in the studio with a Jcm 900 sl-x on my overdriven tracks, its is very very heavy.

if you would like a sound sample check it out here.

www.myspace.com/aswewererock
(myband)

the song up there was recorded with it. on the heavy parts.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
Quote by Gothkoss
I recorded in the studio with a Jcm 900 sl-x on my overdriven tracks, its is very very heavy.

if you would like a sound sample check it out here.

www.myspace.com/aswewererock
(myband)

the song up there was recorded with it. on the heavy parts.

Awesome tone there dude.
Beautiful track aswell.