Sometimes we have trouble sticking out in even a two guitar band, so I just wanted some tips to help stick out in a three guitar band. I was thinking adding extra fills during rythmn parts for covers and for originals makeing the bass part really profound.

Any more tips for someone who keeps the rythmn to stick out with all that treble out there?
i havent played in a 2 guitar band - let alone 3

but have a good listen to iron maiden. adrian smith, janick gers and dave murray are all guitarists...
how about this... I am going to be a FOURTH guitarist an an experimental symphonic band (mostly playing keys though thank god). HOW DOES THAT WORK?!

To answer your question, just try to take it back and play root notes, man. Unfortunately, you have no room to be outstanding. I feel your pain.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Lynyrd Skynyrd's bassist pulled it off really well. Check out some of their stuff for ways to play out while still staying in the pocket enough for the 3 guitarists to have room to work. In situations like this you have to worry a whole lot about overplaying and getting out of the pocket. If you do either you will ruin your band's sound faster than if you just unplugged all the amps.
Give yourself a good boost in the high mids, you'll cut through more, and cut a bit of your low mids, to thin out your sound a little - a three guitar band will sound too muddy otherwise!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
get a BEAUTIFUL guitar that stands out, do some crazy solos, get an amp that has a distinct tone/sound, use wah or something. that will make u stick out for sure. if u sing at the same time thats instantly the best attention getter.
I play in a two-guitar band. I think you want to have distinctive parts that don't interfere too much with the guitars' frequencies--like the E and A string and not going to far up the fretboard. I wouldn't stick to that too much, though, because it's kind of limiting. Play more with the drummer than with the guitars--then you'll often be doing something distinctive and providing reinforcement where it's needed.

On the equipment end, get a really distinctive tone. I'm not sure how to do that but I'm sure it will help. Play with EQ. Also use an amp that gives a lot of clear bass.

And when you're writing original stuff, know that if you do something interesting and your equipment is set decently, people will listen to you because they want to hear.
Quote by Slash's padawan
get a BEAUTIFUL guitar that stands out, do some crazy solos, get an amp that has a distinct tone/sound, use wah or something. that will make u stick out for sure. if u sing at the same time thats instantly the best attention getter.

This is the BASS forum. READ the name of the forum under the thread name when you visit it from the front page. This happens every 5 minutes here.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
First what is your gear? Here's some tips to cut through:

1.) Don't play root notes
2.) Play in a different octave
3.) Play a different rhythm than the drums (e.g. he's playing quarter notes, you play eighth notes)
4.) Use your EQ
5.) Ask your guitarists to turn their guitars down.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Quote by BadBishop
First what is your gear? Here's some tips to cut through:

1.) Don't play root notes
2.) Play in a different octave
3.) Play a different rhythm than the drums (e.g. he's playing quarter notes, you play eighth notes)
4.) Use your EQ
5.) Ask your guitarists to turn their guitars down.

All valid points, but I suggest number 4 especially. Reat fitz's blog on EQing to get some good ideas about how to cut through.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by SideshowRaven24
how about this... I am going to be a FOURTH guitarist an an experimental symphonic band (mostly playing keys though thank god). HOW DOES THAT WORK?!

To answer your question, just try to take it back and play root notes, man. Unfortunately, you have no room to be outstanding. I feel your pain.

Iron maiden? Somebody go tell Steve he better start playing only roots.
Yeah in 99% of bands with three guitars the bass is not heard/known.
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
IM is my favortie band, he was the reason I started playing bass. I plan on not playing root notes, I'd rather follow the other rythmn guitarist.
Here's three things that will help you.

Tone: have a tone that cuts through and doesn't sound like the guitar, but an octave lower. This is the hardest part of the three seeing as it's hard to get a perfect tone and that term even is subjective. Every part of your rig relates to your tone. Read fitzy's gospel on EQing, it'll give you a good idea of how to get a good, cutting tone.

Power: have a buttload of wattage to compensate if your tone doesn't cut through. You'll get noticed if you shake the room.

Technique: Play different stuff than what the guitars are doing. If they're playing 16th notes, don't be afraid to play 8th notes. Guitars don't always play in the lowest octave of their instrument and bassists who follow their guitarists tend to always follow them up. This is okay, but don't always do it. Also, ask for parts where only you play, like an intro, or an interlude or something. It's a bit blunt, but it works.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I play in a two guitar band playing punk, so just look more badass than all of the guitarists sing and play interesting stuff, add fills and such and you should be fine.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Only have 1 guitarist playing fills at a time though have the other guys play rythm stuff unless its a solo, or have 1 with fills, 1 rythm, and 1 use lots of effects in carefully selected parts of the song
Check out some Oceansize, a fantastic 3-guitar band where the bass cuts through perfectly in my opinion.
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
a 3 guitars band?
i cant stand more than 1 guitar and you are with 3!?
thats crazy dude
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400