Does anybody on here have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Gibson Les Paul? I can not find any videos if someone playing them through the same amp so I can hear the difference. If anyone has both of these please post. Thanks!
Hello
Why don't you go to to a store and compare them yourself?
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee

QFT. they dont sound different really. one will die out on u before the other one though.
Quote by mafropetee

I would like to but there are Two problems with that:
1. Sam Ash is 35 minutes away
2. Since i dont have my license, my parents arent into driving me that far just to compare.

When I get about 100 more dollars and go to Sam Ash looking to buy, i will probably check it out.
But for now, I am trying to cut some corners.
Hello
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TTzdcOcpyuE

Does that video help?

There isn't a HUGE difference in sound between the too, but there is a big difference in the feel of them. The neck on the Gibsons are a dream to play, and the neck on the Epiphones are just okay.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TTzdcOcpyuE

Does that video help?

There isn't a HUGE difference in sound between the too, but there is a big difference in the feel of them. The neck on the Gibsons are a dream to play, and the neck on the Epiphones are just okay.

I saw that one, and it helps, but he doesnt play the Gibson.
Hello
Quote by MXBoy11
I saw that one, and it helps, but he doesnt play the Gibson.

Well, the sound difference isn't huge. The sound is mainly based on the amp. I know a guy who has a Custom Shop Les Paul Custom, and I played my friend's Epiphone Les Paul through the same amp that the guy with the Gibson used, and they sounded pretty identical. The difference in playability is miles away, though.
Ok, thanks for the help. Iam probably going to get a Epi LP, and a Peavey Classic 30 or some kind of tube amp.
Hello
Quote by MXBoy11
I would like to but there are Two problems with that:
1. Sam Ash is 35 minutes away
2. Since i dont have my license, my parents arent into driving me that far just to compare.

When I get about 100 more dollars and go to Sam Ash looking to buy, i will probably check it out.
But for now, I am trying to cut some corners.

tell me about it my gc is about 15 minutes from my house and my folks won't take me!!!
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11
tell me about it my gc is about 15 minutes from my house and my folks won't take me!!!

why dont you just walk if its only 15 minutes away... A classic 30 is a good amp... Epi LPs are ok... but you could just get a standard strat and it is going to kick epi's ass in terms of reliablility and quality and versitility (my buddy's epi's pups have been dying on him for the past 6 months, and in the first 3 months of it, the pots came loose so he has to prop them up with guitar picks), My friend with the strat has never had such problems.
ok which gibson les paul are you comparing to. a gibson les paul vintage mohagony, a studio? or the higher end ones like the classic and std. if ur comparing a epi lp std to a gibson lp std or classic then yeah the difference is night to daylight.
You will get different tones from two different Gibson's let alone a Gibson and an Epiphone. I have noticed between two Gibsons of the same model a 3-4 pound difference in weight. The sustain of the gibsons I have noticed being not only longer, but brighter longer. The main things you will notice as far as difference between the two is quality. The Gibsons are a cellulose coating where the Epi's are lacquer coated. Cellulose allows the wood to "breath" and will last a lot longer for it's tone.
Yeah, but will you really notice a difference over time.

I am probably going to get the Epi, just cause i am a kid and i dont have a job.
Hello
Don't get me wrong, an Epi can sound great. the Gibsons just have those extra steps in manufacturing that go a long way for sound quality. not only that, but interesting trivia fact. The cream and white bindings you see around the edges of the guitar are actually coated with the cellulose in manufacture. then they are HAND scrapped. They actually employ some one to hand scrape the bindings...and we wonder why they cost up to several thousands over an asian made Epi
last week i went to sam ash and pick up a blue epi les paul, plugged into a class a tube amp and the tone quality was pretty good. it was fairly decent compare to the setup i use at home.
You are going to get the exact same set-up I had about 15 years ago. The Epi Les Paul and the Peavey classic 30. Should suit you just fine. Don't ever sell the amp. You'll get something bigger one day but you won't need to.
Quote by strummin67
Another thing to consider if you're planning on keeping the guitars for a long time:
The value of the Gibson will go up while the Epiphone will go down.

especially limited 400 run signature models