After about a total of maybe 6 or 7 hours of playing sense yesterday afternoon, my wrist started to hurt(picking hand, and my fret hand after a while, but the fret hand went away really soon). And after my picking wrist started hurting, my riffs started to become sloppy, and the on riff I considered the easiest, I couldn't do it all. My mind would be doing one thing but my hand would hesitate, etc.

Is this normal for a beginner?

Also, If I rotate my wrist or rub it on the sides in the joints, it will pop/crack like when you crack your knuckles or something.
Last edited by Coheed777 at Feb 3, 2008,
Yeah, that is fairly normal for a beginner, but to a point.
My wrist cracks if I do that too, but I have tendonitis (in my picking hand) so I'm not entirely sure if the cracking is normal for you.
If it starts to hurt though, put down the guitar for a while.
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
Last edited by FrEaKGuItArIsT at Feb 3, 2008,
My wrists crack too, but if they hurt too much I stop.

I think they cracked before I started guitar though.

Edit : Also... if you practice THAT much, you're bound to need to take breaks.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
if your experiencing any pain in your wrists you have to stop playing or it could be bad
dont practice for 6 to 7 hours a day, or youre going to hurt and possibly damage your hands
The cracking is normal...everyone can do that and it feels good to me but the pain is bad...

HOWEVER! I have good news... the wrist pain can be fixed by keeping your muscles loose. Keep ALL of your muscles loose even your leg muscles if they tense up. Loosening your muscles will both help you play better and prevent serious injury.
Stay away from the guitar for a day or two to make sure the pain goes away first. I know an exercise to help the tensing go away but it's too long to post as a reply I think. I'll try to find it for you.

Also, to further your playing, play stuff that does not come natural to your fingers and play things that are hard to play (not actually fast but, maybe confusing).

Hope this helps you!

-Guitarist10
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Quote by exect4500
if your experiencing any pain in your wrists you have to stop playing or it could be bad

You don't mean permanently right =\

dont practice for 6 to 7 hours a day, or youre going to hurt and possibly damage your hands

Well my two friends spent the night with their guitar and drums, so we jammed forever.

And I ment 6-7 hours from yesterday afternoon to today, split up, not all at once.

I hardly ever play that much
Last edited by Coheed777 at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by Coheed777
You don't mean permanently right =\

No, not permanantly at first. What he is talking about is carpal tunnel syndrome and other injuries that can develop in your wrist.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Well the pain has subsided, still there but not as much.

If it matters, I broke my wrist 7 years ago.

could that have anything to do with it, maybe?
Quote by Coheed777
Well the pain has subsided, still there but not as much.

If it matters, I broke my wrist 7 years ago.

could that have anything to do with it, maybe?

It might, but only a doctor will be able to tell you.

Take it easy, even though the pains gone now, doesnt mean it wont return. Rest it for a few days.
It's a good idea to do stretching exercises and also massaging the muscles that tend to cramp up.
I wish I had the time to practice for 6-7 hours straight...where the hell do you people find the time to practice for so long?!
Quote by GuitarQueer-o
I wish I had the time to practice for 6-7 hours straight...where the hell do you people find the time to practice for so long?!

It was the weekend and my two friends, one plays guitar, the other drums, had brought over their stuff for the whole weekend.

Anywho..

Have any of you, with correct technique, felt pain at all?
Quote by Coheed777
Have any of you, with correct technique, felt pain at all?

Most definitely, yes.
Quote by Boz0r
Most definitely, yes.

Thanks, i know I might be doing something wrong(Although I doubt it, but you never know) its just nice that whats happening is normal for the most part.

I'll still make sure, though.
But still, if you start feeling pain, you should probably take a break.
Quote by Boz0r
But still, if you start feeling pain, you should probably take a break.

Yeah, I haven't played my guitar sense yesterday. I picked it up today and went over about 3-4 riffs just to see how it felt, and it feels alot better, but I don't plan to actually play till maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.