Well it starts with this: I've been listening to the new Mars Volta album(Bedlam in Goliath) and I believe it as a hell of an awesome album. I see comments from people all the time complaining that it's nothing like De-Loused. This leaves some of these people predisposed to not enjoying the new album. This irks the hell out of me because I believe artists shouldn't attempt to recreate past works; they should progress and experiment with new ideas and styles. This also ties in with the idea that mainstream=crap, which I don't NECESSARILY believe.

Does anyone else share this opinion? BTW, this can, obviously, apply to any band(share some if you please)

*My rant*
yea I totally agree. I'm actually listening to TBIG right now and it is nothing like De-loused but thats a good thing I don't like how people want all their albums to sound like De-loused.
There's a place where a depth charge ignites.
well, with mars volta, who can bitch about theyre progression? they are PROG-rock, and it works occasionally to do the same thing over again(ac/dc) on the other hand repetition can get stale(nofx)
i didnt even really like deloused. for some reason i love frances the mute. i dont know why. its probably my favorite album from the mars volta. tbig is a close second though.
Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.
bedlam in goliath & frances the mute have some of the best stuff music has to offer, in my opinion
I see no sign of fortress.
I'm glad some people can agree. I love De-Loused...but then again FTM and even Amputechture were incredible.