i am thinking of buying a new guitar in the near future thats in the $600 price range. out
of all the guitars i looked at the two that i liked the most were a epiphone lp custom and a gibson fadded sg.so i was wondering which one should i buy.i play rhythm so i guess that might make a difference in which one i should get.
I'd personally get the Les Paul. The Gibson Faded SGs aren't that great. I've never played an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, but even the Epiphone Les Paul Standards are better than the Gibson Faded SG in my opinion, and I love SGs.
Go with what you like better. Try them both out. I'd generally shy away from cheap Gibbies though. I'd recommend an Ibanez SZ or a Michael Kelly Patriot. Both in the same price range and completely slaughter Epiphones IMHO. Especially the Patriot.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i would totally go with the SG because its made better and it will last longer it also sounds better
but thats my opinion...
i'd go sg just because i'm an sg kinda guy...unobstructed 22nd fret access it's great. i play g-400 though. never tried a faded so i'm not all too sure...
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by bobby_splax
i'd go sg just because i'm an sg kinda guy...unobstructed 22nd fret access it's great. i play g-400 though. never tried a faded so i'm not all too sure...

Would the neck joint at the 19th fret count as an obstruction?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I would go w/ the LP Custom but thats just me.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
if you like the lp body, try the ESP eclipse and if your into sg, try either the ESP viper or a dean splittail, either you'll love or hate the splittail...
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
I tried a Gibby faded SG last night at Guitar Center, it was pretty good. i cant tell you anything about the tone though, i had it running through a bunch of Boss pedals for distortion and such, which i'm not really a fan of. unfortunately there's not much better at my local GC :S

always try both out and more though.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Lp custom i have played both and the Lp blew me away compared to a gibson faded sg
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

The neck joint on my SG is at the 19th fret, and it's barely noticeable. You can get that 22nd fret with no effort.
i own the faded sg and the les paul custom
and they both rape.

pros:
sg: is lighter, sounds better, an awsome quality gibson
les paul custom: sounds good, looks good

Cons:
Sg: no laquer finish or anything
Les Paul: scratches easily, gold hardware fades, too heavy

and its all up to you bro
i own both of them and i like them both!
Quote by AngelOfHatred
The neck joint on my SG is at the 19th fret, and it's barely noticeable. You can get that 22nd fret with no effort.

I'll still call it an obstruction to be an ass!

I'd go with an ESP/LTD Viper if you're looking for a great SG shaped guitar at a killer price.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by xbouncer927
i own the faded sg and the les paul custom
and they both rape.sg: is lighter, sounds better, an awsome quality gibson

It's actually one of the lowest quality Gibsons you can get.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
It's actually one of the lowest quality Gibsons you can get.

I think the Melody Maker is the only thing lower than a Special Faded series guitar.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

i'm the kinda guy that wraps his finger around the neck at all times (bad habit i know) but i can do that all the way to the 22nd so no, i don't count that as an obstruction
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
could i offer you some alternatives on the sg?
The esp ltd viper(over 400 series)
or the tommi iommi sig.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
the sg faded is pretty decent, i own one couple month ago before i sold it.the whole guitar feels so different compare to my std. it just feel so raw and the tone sounds almost the same while the feel of the unfinish neck felt rather warm.
the sg juniors are actually suprisingly nice... but thats only if your into P-90s... I don't like the SG faded guitars, the neck feels thick, and the guitar feels too bulky to be an SG.... the tone is preety nice however. **** both those guitars, get a Strat!
personally i dont rlly like pauls so i would go with sg
but i agree about the whole low quality part of it, i bought a epi g-400 deluxe (flame top ) instead of a gibby faded sg, simply because it was $300 cheaper and was prob better quality.
the thing im realizing now a couple years later, with more experience, is that the gibsons, even fadeds, have a much smoother neck joint. its hard for me to explain but pick up any epi, and compare its neck joint to that of a gibson. MUCH smoother. don't get me wrong, the epis are fine, but make sure to look over the guitars completely and weigh the pros and cons urself.
Quote by RIP_bonham
personally i dont rlly like pauls so i would go with sg
but i agree about the whole low quality part of it, i bought a epi g-400 deluxe (flame top ) instead of a gibby faded sg, simply because it was $300 cheaper and was prob better quality.
the thing im realizing now a couple years later, with more experience, is that the gibsons, even fadeds, have a much smoother neck joint. its hard for me to explain but pick up any epi, and compare its neck joint to that of a gibson. MUCH smoother. don't get me wrong, the epis are fine, but make sure to look over the guitars completely and weigh the pros and cons urself.

You bumped this thread just to post that?

This thread is almost A YEAR old. He probably bought a guitar already.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster