I thought my technique was ok, I'm not very tense when I play, and I try to minimize my movement most of the time. But the past few days my left wrist has been bothering me pretty bad. It doesn't really hurt while I'm playing, but anytime I have strain to lift something it hurts pretty bad.

the main thing I can think of wrong with my technique is that I grip the neck with my thumb over the top a little bit, and I'll switch to the classical behind the neck for fast or hard parts. But the classical position seems to strain it more as you have to turn your wrist up a lot more than the baseball grip.

and I think maybe I lift my fingers a little too high, maybe a quarter or half inch above the fret board, but I never thought it'd be enough to do damage.

as far as tension goes, it depends on the song. If the song feels angry or tense I get and and tense, and grip the neck harder and push the strings down harder. the more angry it gets, the more tense I get. But when the song's not angry or anything I'm pretty relaxed, even if the song's fast. like I have a really technical lick I came up with, and play it really fast, but stay pretty loose. But then with something as simple as Walk by Pantera I get pretty tense.

I think that's my main problem, I get so into the music that when I play something with a lot of anger in it, I get tense, and I've been playing a lot of metal lately. But I don't know how to correct this without losing the feel for the music. I can force myself to not get into it and not get tense, but I completely lose the feeling, it ruins the whole point.

help?
Pictures of how you are holding your guitar? How low is your strap? Take a break for a day and make sure you are warming up and stretching properly.
sadly I don't have a digital camera.

I normally have it so the bridge is about level with my manly parts, and the headstock is about level with my shoulders

and um... I never warm up or stretch.... how would I go about doing this?
my dad gave me a brace to put on it for a little while til it feels better and showed me some exercises (his wrist got pretty bad a while back, sorta arthritis or somethin) but these aren't exactly guitar specific, I need some help in that department.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
sadly I don't have a digital camera.

I normally have it so the bridge is about level with my manly parts, and the headstock is about level with my shoulders

and um... I never warm up or stretch.... how would I go about doing this?

You gotta stretch man. It will help you not hurt yourself and you will feel less tense and more flexible. Check out John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD. He goes through a few stretches in the beginning.
While stretching and warming up is VERY important, you need to remember that some people are just prone to strain. I myself have been battling tendonitis for 20 years. I've never been able to reach my full potential and this is very depressing. I have noticed that sitting down and playing classical style (fingerpicking) doesn't bother me. But when I'm rocking out on the electric I'm standing and it [pain] seems to creep up after a few days forcing me to stop playing for weeks and months. I thought perhaps that my guitar strap may be 'cutting' into my neck and pinching off a nerve. But this is only speculation. Good luck.
http://www.musicianshealth.com/stretches.htm

I do all of those. Also, if you set your hand down, and then take you other hand grab a finger and make circles. That should get the fluid going. If you hear the bone popping your guitar technique(or something else you do) is wrong. You can do the same thing by lightly holding your forearm and rotating your wrist. I'd also check for muscle knots. Those are really painful, but you can massage them out fairly easily. Hope that works as this stuffs hard to explain on the internet. A physical therapist might do you good.

I've never had a major problem with my wrist. So I don't know how well these work for repair, but they do seem to help prevent it. Not medical advice, your mileage may vary.
I thought perhaps that my guitar strap may be 'cutting' into my neck and pinching off a nerve. But this is only speculation. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Guitar-Strap-Black/dp/B000P5OUE2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1189478611&sr=1-50

I've been looking at stuff similar to that. My guitar is a good 15lbs and putting all that strain on one shoulder while the other does nothing can't be good for posture. I've gotten used to it, but I still want to correct it someday(although maybe i'd only wear that strap in practice.)