So all I've got right now is this little 15w crate amp. My buddy just gave me a 150w crate Amp because he blew his cabinets speaker so he bought a 300w instead. Now I need to buy a cab. but I don't know what would be a good idea. I like the idea of getting a Marshall, but due to my limited experience with the tech side of guitars I don't know what would be smart, would it be a bad idea to cross an amp and a cab as far as brands go? Should I get a Crate cab.(I hear crate speakers suck) or get a Marshall?
Quote by farcry
So all I've got right now is this little 15w crate amp. My buddy just gave me a 150w crate Amp because he blew his cabinets speaker so he bought a 300w instead. Now I need to buy a cab. but I don't know what would be a good idea. I like the idea of getting a Marshall, but due to my limited experience with the tech side of guitars I don't know what would be smart, would it be a bad idea to cross an amp and a cab as far as brands go? Should I get a Crate cab.(I hear crate speakers suck) or get a Marshall?

depends, how load do you want to go, is mobility an issue, 2x12 are overkills for jamming and 4x12 is just huge to lug around in a family car, but for a 4x12 cab, anything loaded with celestions and/or a Marshall 1960 cab, they can be found cheap enough on the used market. (The Celestion was a suggestion.)
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
mobility shouldn't be an issue, how loud are we talking here. I wanna play sometimes loud enough that my ears ring a little bit. Right now I am in an apartment so I never get to play loud, but in April I am moving into a house so it's gonna be loads of loud music all day. I have a 350w stereo that will shake the house, that's how loud I want the amp to be. Doubt I'll get it out of a 150 cab though.
well I own both a 2x60watt stereo modeling head and a 100 watt all tube head, both are loud with the 4x12, but I only tried the Marshall on the 2x12. What model's your head anyways
it's some tiny 150w thing. My friend played it on a 4x12 and it sounded really good, but I don't know what kind of cab it was. Lemme check what make it is.

CPB150

it may be terrible, I don't know, but it's free and I ain't buying a new one
A big cabinet would be a bit impractical in an apartment. I recommend selling the Crate and buying a combo. 150 watts is pretty much overkill for any situation. 30 watts is loud enough to deafen you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
crate powerblock?
I'd go with what you can get a hold of, with a great deal.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
A big cabinet would be a bit impractical in an apartment. I recommend selling the Crate and buying a combo. 150 watts is pretty much overkill for any situation. 30 watts is loud enough to deafen you.

True, since loudness isn't messured in watts, db's should give you an idea
but I'm getting a house soon, in case you missed that. Which is why I want ridiculous loudness as well as really good sound quality. I have a Boss GT-6 multi effect board that I usually just plug my big headphones into, but I want to blast it with a huge amp in my new house.
you want ridiculus power and insane sound quality, one word,
Tube!
and you won't need a halfstack to obtain that level of tone.
Quote by farcry
but I'm getting a house soon, in case you missed that. Which is why I want ridiculous loudness as well as really good sound quality. I have a Boss GT-6 multi effect board that I usually just plug my big headphones into, but I want to blast it with a huge amp in my new house.

Oh I see. Well, 30 watts is still very loud but if you want to keep the Crate than more power to you! If you want a quality cab that doesn't break the bank, check out Avatar cabs. They come in different speaker configurations. Marshall cabinets are awesome too if cash ain't an issue.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've saved 400 dollars. Is it possible to get a good 4x12 with that money? I was recommended a Marshall 1912 but I know absolutely nothing about it.
1912 is a marshall 212 with celestions if i'm not mistaking.
for 400 bucks you could get a marshall mg cab but if you do i'll hunt you down and kill you,
I'm sure if you look around you could find a marshall 1960 used for around that price range.
Quote by farcry
what's wrong with a marshall mg cab?

The cabinet isn't well made for one and the speakers are pretty lack luster. If you're going ultra budget, get a Behringer cabinet. I found the best bang for your buck though are Avatars or the Peavey Windsor cabinet.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
everything,
they're a synonym for poor quality, speakers are ****, wood is thin and cheap, and they only handle 150 watt ( pretty sure it's a lot less when not applying theory ) , and The loudspeakers could have more definition imo.
ok good to know, well when I'm buying I will definitely come back here and ask for some more advice. It won't be a while seeing as there can always be an emergency where i need the 400 so I'm gonna wait till late april, thanks.
unless, a 1960 magicly pops up at that price :P