Page 1 of 2
And how did it go?
What songs did you play?
Were they original or covers?
Did you get a good response or did you get booed?
Were you happy with it?
Did you get paid? How much did you get paid?

Share your gigging stories with UG!

MY GEAR
Bella
Ibanez Gio
Cube-20X
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Adz2706
the worst ive seen is a guy kick this other guy in the head repeatedly and had to be taken to hospital in a helicopter

Who the hell would build a Hospital inside of a Helicopter?
Me and my band just played at a local bar yesterday. Every Saturday there's a jam there you can just walk in and play. We played Killing in the Name, War Pigs and Blitzkrieg Bop. I'm fourteen been playing since I was about 11. The crowd cheered us, and we get free drinks for playing. Pop for underage folks
"Waltz it up! The pit is it!"
30 min. My lead guitarist was on vacation, so we didnt do so well. All covers. I sucked at vocals. Embarrassing, really
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
First was probably our best.

American Idiot - Green day
Los Angeles - Sugarcult
Face Down - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Pain for Pleasure - Sum 41
Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones
Your Guardian Angel - RJA

Covers.

Great response, asked to do more right after.

Was very happy. Next few weren't the greatest.

Didn't get paid for the first. But since then we've gathered about $400 as a band.

Edit; It was about 45 mins.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I was 15, only playing bass for about 4 months by that point.

Played a BoTB, playing Nothing Else Matters (Metallica), Adam's Song (Blink 182) and an original heavy rock song called My Life Story. We got a fantastic response. We got a pit, everyone was cheering. This guy came up to me afterwards and said "I hate Metallica, but the way you guys played Nothing Else Matters was great."

The other bands were pissed we didn't get through, because they thought we were the best there, up against bands who had been together a lot longer than we had- even during the soundchecks they were listening in and loving it.

Didn't get paid. The compliments were enough, to be honest.
I had been playing about 2 and a half years, and it went pretty well (besides the incredibly small stage). It was an open-mic night, so the response was decent, and we didn't get paid. Oh, and we played 5 or so songs, all original.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
i played at the living room (its a club) when i was 14. I started when i was twelve. We were a heavy prog band. No pay but it was fun nonetheless. We played about half covers (two coheed) and half originals. We headlined too
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Well it didn't go well. We played for 15 minutes and I didn't know the third song we played. WE spent probably 5 minutes getting a microphone. We did 3 songs by primus. Even though we sucked we got a lot of good comments and were asked to play in front of the school (details in blog). WE didn't get paid cause it was a school coffee house.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Embarrassignly enough, 3 years - and I had to bodge vocals as well - only had 10 minutes, and in the situation (me bodging vox, a borrowed drummer), all we could do was vocals
Ramines - Durango 95, I don't wanna go down to the Basement & Blitzkrieg Bop and as an almost encore -
Blink 182 - all The Small Things (Got a volanteer from the crowd to sing with us, as I wasn;t 100% on the lyrics :p.
Went down suprisingly well, if only for pure rock N' roll spirit.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
3 months in... playing "chasing cars" ... at school so no pay... but i learned to control myself at stage so i appreciate the experience
I had been playing for about 10 months, and I was 14. For a first gig in a backyard it was great. We played 4 original pop-punk songs, with a cover of I Feel So by Box Car Racer. Although we played our set almost flawlessly, it was for a bunch of emo kids who just wanted hardcore. They didn't boo us, but they didn't cheer either. But we don't care about emo kids, so we were happy. And we got free food!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Skippy_McNutty
Me and my band just played at a local bar yesterday. Every Saturday there's a jam there you can just walk in and play. We played Killing in the Name, War Pigs and Blitzkrieg Bop. I'm fourteen been playing since I was about 11. The crowd cheered us, and we get free drinks for playing. Pop for underage folks

That's awesome. I don't think you can do that anywhere around here, did you leave out the cursing in Killing in the name? I've wondered about what it'd be like if I covered that song and included the cursing.
MY GEAR
Bella
Ibanez Gio
Cube-20X
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Adz2706
the worst ive seen is a guy kick this other guy in the head repeatedly and had to be taken to hospital in a helicopter

Quote by Red Exodus

That's awesome. I don't think you can do that anywhere around here, did you leave out the cursing in Killing in the name? I've wondered about what it'd be like if I covered that song and included the cursing.

A mate of mine in another band at the BoTB Imentioned earlier did it without the swearing- he sang "BITE ME I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME"
Quote by Red Exodus

Yeah our bassist(not our real singer but I'll talk about that later) was singing and he sang it like it was censored so that you could hear the 'k. We also played that song at school but we had no signing. Yesterday we went to the drummer's to practice, all our other bandmates left so we found this drummer and yesterday was our fourth practice. We have a singer and another guitarist lined up but they're usually busy so they haven't practiced with us yet. But yeah after about 2 and a half hours of practice the drummer's mom came down and asked if we wanted to go play there so we were like yeah and we did. I screwed up soloing on War Pigs though. I learn the beginning of both solos then just improv but I screwed up on the last one. Still was good though.
Well, my first gig was with my guitar teacher and it was only a 3 minute blues improv. We could only do 1. It was amazing. I was 13.
When all else fails, ask the pit.
We played a roughly 20 minute set for our middle school graduation last year. This was with a band I'm not in anymore. But we were all in 8th grade and decided to give the rest of the school a farewell concert. I played lead guitar and at the time I had only been playing guitar for about 7 or 8 months

We played:
We Will Rock You-Queen (this was pretty fun, I really screwed up the ending solo. But I was nervous)
Holiday-Green Day (We had a lot of fun with this one. I did the solo flawlessly.)
Blvd of Broken Dreams-Green Day (we went directly into this song, just like the album. Instead of using an effect I palm muted double time tempo to produce that weird effect. Solo went okay, but our singer lost his voice during this song)
American Idiot-Green Day (This was probably the most fun song of the bunch. Pretty much everything went flawlessly. Although we ended the song to early)
More Than A Feeling-Boston (tricky, but worth it. We did the entired harmonized solo and it sounded better then we ever thought we could play. The vocals sucked ass though)
The Middle-Jimmy Eat World (Eh, kind of a boring finisher, but it went really well. So I can't complain)

I was happy with our performance. But I felt like I was the only person with stage presence.

No pay, but we made the audience applaud. So that's all we can ask for
The Pit. The Movie.
i was 15, played let it be with some girls who dug the piano, i pulled a little solo over top, about 200 people, it was a concert with abunch of artists it was intense i was so nervous before i went on, but once i was on it just felt good to be there, and then i nailed the solo with just one small note mistake and then everyone cheered me hahahahaha!
Am I the only one here who's never done any kind of gig?
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
Quote by En_zed

No... I feel left out, but I get nervous when I play for people.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Bushinarin
No... I feel left out, but I get nervous when I play for people.

So do I but after the first song I'm good.
It was this fall, and we were told that it was supposed to be some sort of rally...turned out to be sunday night at a church, in front of about 30 people, at least 10 of them over 30, more over 30...we're quite loud...think Flyleaf. We knew most of the younger ones there, though, so it wasn't too bad.

edit: playing for 3 1/2 years
Nope, no sig here.
I played guitar at the Christmas Concert for my school Orchestra. Not really a gig, but there were a good 200 or so people there. We played the TSO version of Carol Of The Bells. The response was good and we did not get paid. I did screw up rather badly though. Nobody seemed to notice though
EDIT: been playing for 2 years. Practiced for the gig for about 2 weeks.
my first gig was not my greatest. BUT its where i met my drummer so it helped. i was asked to play bass (even though im mainly a guitarist) for my church's youth band for an open house for people to see what the church was about. we spent a few days practicing, and i really got to know our drummer. so a few months after that, we got our current band together, a power trio. first gig with this one was good, it was a battle of the bands at my school, we played mostly what became our main style, ska influenced punk
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by En_zed

Nah, I've never done a gig. I've only been playing guitar for 9 months and as you can see in my gear sucks so I'm just practicing until I'm confident often to find a band. I was just curious as to how long people played before they did a gig.
MY GEAR
Bella
Ibanez Gio
Cube-20X
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Adz2706

I've headlined to Chimaira and Shadows Fall, after the gig they asked me to give them some tips. I just told them to keep at it, practice makes perfect.
my first gig was last friday, we played this thing at a music store. I'm 13, been playing for 1 and a half years. We played Smoke on the water, (i know) T.N.T, and Moby Dick. The gig was about 45 minutes long, and the whole crowd of about 125 people or so chanted the oi's on T.N.T
Up the Punx!
the first gig i ever played we threw in a part down the road, got people to show up by throwing flyers all around the school.

about 15 people showed up, and boy did we suck hard!

I had been playing like a year, and definantly wasen't ready to be in a band.

If you consider a gig something you got paid for, then I had been playing for a good 4-5 years before I joined this folk band that was pretty ontop of it. Played with them for around 6 months, tbh i was 18 and it was wierd playing with people 20+ years older than me.

Since then i've done alot of fill in work, and just writting alot of music. Trying to get my own music off the ground.
School talent show, dunno length. it was me (lead) My friend on rythmn. I did vocals, and he did vocals too. :3 went damn well, but since everyone at my school likes rap, they didn't know what songs we played. We got great responses though. and afterwaards, my geometry teacher said he was going to buy me a Boss DS-1 pedal =D

setlist:
Hysteria - Muse
Supermassive Black Hole - Muse (with Whammy goodness in solo)
Icky Thump - White Stripes
Rapture - Hurt

it pwned. We were jumping around like idiots during Icky Thump and Hysteria =D
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
my first gig was in my last year of high school, i'd been playing for a year and a half-ish, entirely spontaneous really, i just decided one day that I'd shred some guitar on assembly. Went down really well, i totally faked out the audience too. *starts playing stairway to heaven intro* right before the faster bit, i go ahead and stomp on the distortion...SATCH BOOGIE...t'was mad
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
My first gig was in november, I had been playing for about 3 years, our band formed about a month and a half before the show, a couple weeks before the auditions, so we weren't incredibly well prepared. It was a show at our school, 4 nights in a row, 500 people each time, we did this semi-improvised blues thing that we came up with while jamming, it was fun and we got a pretty good response (albeit most of it was from family and friends and other older people in the audience that actually liked that kind of music)
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
first one was in february last year. we had to freaking pay to play, but oh well. the drummer got us a spot in an open-mic night, so in five days we got my friend to play bass and wrote three songs. our music is different from those songs now, but wutev. everyone was getting really bored cause all the other acts were sucking, and then we came up and everyone was all LIEKW000000H and we were told that we were the best act . it was about seventeen minutes. we did three original, instrumental songs. i wrote all of the music except for the keyboard crap in the second song and the bass part in the third.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7AyBjDGww2M
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Liz9M5_xa38
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbEFuMD-Y24
excuse my suckage, the poor sound, and the fact that i looked like an amish faggot.
first battle of the bands, we only played 20 miutes, which was 5 originals. First non BOB, we played 30 mins, which was like 12 songs, including only one cover, which was die die my darling.
Quote by frottage
first one was in february last year. we had to freaking pay to play, but oh well. the drummer got us a spot in an open-mic night, so in five days we got my friend to play bass and wrote three songs. our music is different from those songs now, but wutev. everyone was getting really bored cause all the other acts were sucking, and then we came up and everyone was all LIEKW000000H and we were told that we were the best act . it was about seventeen minutes. we did three original, instrumental songs. i wrote all of the music except for the keyboard crap in the second song and the bass part in the third.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7AyBjDGww2M
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Liz9M5_xa38
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbEFuMD-Y24
excuse my suckage, the poor sound, and the fact that i looked like an amish faggot.

You guys are actually really good! You guys still together, or have a myspace or something that I can listen to your music, other recordings?

Click me, or I'll die.

15 min. The last day of 7th grade. Me and my bassist played "I stand alone" by Godsmack and I did some solo. Played some wrestling themes and yeah...30 of my friends got on the floor and started bowing down. Girls screaming. And no..no money.
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
Quote by Bushinarin
You guys are actually really good! You guys still together, or have a myspace or something that I can listen to your music, other recordings?

not yet, we haven't had much time to practice lately since the drummer has basketball, but i'm pretty sure that's about done. we'll be getting some recordings or videos up on youtube soon, i pm you or something if you want whenever we get that done.
Well my first gig was probably at like age 11 after playing for a year and a half (on sax) but that doesnt count. My first paid gig was a year ago and i had been playing bass for a year, we did a bunch of jazz standards that all went down fairly well except when our trumpet player started playing the wrong song in the warmup but there was only one person there at the time. I was gonna do it for free but they ended up giving me $300
Quote by frottage
not yet, we haven't had much time to practice lately since the drummer has basketball, but i'm pretty sure that's about done. we'll be getting some recordings or videos up on youtube soon, i pm you or something if you want whenever we get that done.

Much obliged.

Best of luck to you fellows, I hope you have plenty more successful gigs.

Click me, or I'll die.

Page 1 of 2