I'm sure Bill can answer this one since he just put a review in for the ART Studio V3 preamp.

I'm wondering how the ART Studio V3 preamp compares to the ART Tube MP.

It looks like they just added a "Voicing" knob to the V3.
Also, does the tube glow at all any of these preamps (without the help of LEDs)?
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 3, 2008,
As far as I know, both operate on a low plate voltage, so any tube glow in either will either be very dim, or fake.
Quote by MrPillow
As far as I know, both operate on a low plate voltage, so any tube glow in either will either be very dim, or fake.

yea I know these units both use a starved plate setup but I figured I would ask anyways.
my thought on that is that if its a starved plate setup, how much will it really change the sound.

I have heard it does take out the buzzing some but then you are spending around $20 for a nice tube... With that in the process it would probably be better to spend less on the standard "Studio" unit.
Don't be fooled into thinking a starved plate scenario eliminates the tube from affecting the sound at all, it just more or less eliminates it from giving what one would consider proper tube qualities. Putting a good 12ax7, maybe a 12at7 etc can improve the quality of the sound.
I just bought the MP Studio - it does ADD SOMETHING to the sound... I'm using it with a Korg ME Pedal in front of my Roland SS amp and it really does improve the sound and as a computer DI it helps add something too - and you really can overdrive the lil' tube
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Well... I've got 2 of the V3's and trashed the Chinese tube for a Soviet 12ax7... less noise and more tube warmth.

I can't say much about the Tube MP Studio as I've never tried one, but on the V3's the variable voicing is a nice addition (it works very well) and you can get some nice crunch with it when you overdrive it.

As far as the tube glowing... never seen it happen, but I've ran mine for hours on end without a hitch.

The Chinese tube is garbage IMO, but it could be good enough for a novice. You really notice the difference when you put a good tube in it and it was well worth it to change out the tube.

Considering the price for a tube pre... you can't go wrong... even when you replace the original tube.... its still a great deal for a decent project studio.