Is it better to learn from a teacher or a paid website, like Guitar Master Classes? I know it should be better in person since they can catch your mistakes but for where I live it's gonna cost around $20 - $25 per lesson. I could afford that, but that's still a lot of money either way, and also that I'm afraid teachers might drag on lessons just so they can get more money. That's what happened to one of my friends when he learned guitar 4 years ago and he got frustrated and quit. Also that websites are a LOT cheaper and I think it helps people learn at their own pace and have more content.

But, I don't know, what do you guys think? Also I live in the Los Angeles area in CA, do you guys know any great teachers around this area?
Depends on how you learn. Some people learn better by actually seeing it done (like with a teacher) and people learn better by figuring it out on their own. I learned to play on my own but there's always a benefit to having a teacher. They can help you with theory among other things. I'm getting a guitar teacher soon.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
to be completly honest, its really up to u and how u learn best. when i first started learning to play guitar, i took lessons for about a year. but when i learned all the basics and had a good understanding about guitar playing, scales, notes, stuff like that, i quit the lessons and have taught myself for the past three years. the benifit with the online thing would be, yes, some of them our cheaper and let u learn on ur own pace. however, an online teacher cant tell u when u do sumthin worng and wat u need to improve on. again, its all up to how u learn best.
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Why not both?

Well I would, but my problem is that I'm not sure if I should get a teacher at all. Because the price of one lesson from a teacher could almost pay for a month of lessons on the website. So I'm afraid I might waste my money if i get a bad teacher.
Don't pay for online classes, man. Here at UG there are a lot of lessons to help out. Cyber-fret has some really good material too.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
It all depends on who ur teacher is. I pay 80 bucks a month for once a week lessons for a half hour with a guy named Aaron Leone. He is god at guitar and he is an amazing teacher. he might be touring with paul mccartney on his next tour as their lead guitarist.
Alright, I guess I'll look into getting a teacher.

Do you guys have any advice to spot a bad teacher? I don't wanna pay too much in before I realize they are bad.
If the teacher plays his **** for like half th lesson. thts bad. if all the teacher does is teach u songs. thts bad. if th teacher cant make u undewrstand something. thts bad. Thts wht u look for.,
^^ thanks for the heads up. Also I'm not a complete, complete beginner. I know some basic chords, scales, bends, vibrato, slides and etc., but if I get a teacher will they teach me from the ground start? I kinda want to pick up from where I am now.
Ok. when u start ur lessons. u tell th teacher how much **** u know and he will teach u from there. usually. And if u dont want th teacher to have th lessons drag on, do wht i do. I pay 80 at th beginin of eery month thn i get 4 lessons.
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Why not both?

yup, the prime choice for true warriors of the starlight

ummm, but depends of your style of learning IMO i prefer a teacher but latley i've found it better to learn by myself now that im more than just a newbie.
Yet another posting of this, but here goes:

You may want to invest in some lessons. It can help with frustration. Let me offer this guide:

Don't take lessons from just anyone. That can put you on the track to furstration and losing interest very quickly. You need to know a few things first:

1. Do you want to play guitar or be a musician?
Just because somebody plays well, doesn't mean they can teach music well.
Ask the person, will they teach you guitar or music. Maybe you want to play and that's what the teacher will teach you. Great. But if you want to be a musician, then you need to learn from a musician.

2. Is this person a teacher? I know a lot people who can read and write well, but they can't teach Shakespeare. Just because they can play well, doesn't mean they can teach well. Look for music teacher ie they went through a music education program. There are teachers out there who can teach extremely well and never had any formal teaching education, but it's difficult. Packaging and presenting material with checks for understanding, guided practice, and correct pacing is very complex. Most people think they can do it - most people are so wrong.

3. Interview three teachers, ask them a lot of questions or even pay for a first lesson. Choose the one you feel most comfortable with. And if it isn't working out talk to your teacher about your needs and if neccessary, change teachers (but give it some time first).

4. Will you stick to it? Too many players of all ages get frustrated and drift away. If it what you want to do, make a committment. Write down a set of three short term goals and a set of 3 long term goals. Post them where you can see them everyday and post them in your practice area. You should change you short term and long term goals as you accomplish them. (keep the old ones so you can mark your progress). Examples are as follows:

Short term: Learn the solo to Stairway, become proficient in X scale mode, practice 1/2 hour every day

Long Term: Play a live concert, become proficient enough with the modes to create complex solos, compose a complete song with lyrics and two guitar parts.

I hope this helps a little.

The Dog
Gibson Les Paul Custom Zakk Wylde
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Stratocaster (1989) - First Guitar
Squier Stagemaster FR
Stellar LP Copy
Ibanez Artcore 78T
Homemade 7 watt + custom cab
Peavey Classic 30 with 112 Ext.
Roland Blues Cube BC30